3rd Class Medical - Jump Through Hoops?

Old March 15th 05, 07:38 PM
GEG

Default 3rd Class Medical - Jump Through Hoops?

I'm a student pilot. I went for my first medical today.
There were 3 issues.
1 regarding Lasik - which he had a form to fill out from my
opthamologist. Fine.

The second regarded a prescription for Bextra, which I use
for occasional "flare ups" on my hip (I'm only 37 but have
some hip troubles from sports and what not).

The thing that got me was the Bextra has no FAA restrictions
yet he wants medical records specifically on my use of Bextra.
Plus, I only have 2 weeks to get the info.

Is this normal?

There were a half-dozen other pilots through there, one older
gentleman who seemed as though he could barely walk and he went
right through (I'd imagine he is a professional pilot
and has been going there a long time.)

Do I need to worry? I mean, my hip condition isn't too bad (I did
have some surgery), and I know I can play hockey and lift weights
well beyond what the other pilots there were doing.

The third was a clarification on another prescription, which
seems understandable.

Oh - he charged me $20 extra because of "extra paperwork" for the
items I need to follow up on and get sent to them.

Is that also normal?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Gary
Old March 15th 05, 07:59 PM
Dave Butler

GEG wrote:
I'm a student pilot. I went for my first medical today.
There were 3 issues.

I don't know the answers to your specific questions, but I have a suggestion:

If you're not a member of AOPA, join. Actually, I'm not sure pre-solo students
are eligible to join... Anyway, get to the aopa web site and read through all
the stuff in the medical section. The medical section is in the members-only
section, so either join AOPA or borrow a member's user id. Maybe your instructor
is a member and will help you get access to the info. There's a lot of good
information there about getting through the medical process.

Good luck.

DGB
Old March 15th 05, 08:13 PM
Peter Duniho

"GEG" wrote in message
[...]
The thing that got me was the Bextra has no FAA restrictions
yet he wants medical records specifically on my use of Bextra.
Plus, I only have 2 weeks to get the info.

Is this normal?

Since probably most pilots don't take Bextra, I don't see how any handling
of Bextra could be considered "normal" one way or the other. Why the
two-week deadline, I don't know. That seems odd. Typically, any
irregularities like that would just result in your application being
"deferred" to the FAA offices in Oklahoma City. It should be out of your
AME's hands, the moment anything falls outside the normal procedures he's
supposed to follow.

There were a half-dozen other pilots through there, one older
gentleman who seemed as though he could barely walk and he went
right through (I'd imagine he is a professional pilot
and has been going there a long time.)

Do I need to worry? I mean, my hip condition isn't too bad (I did
have some surgery), and I know I can play hockey and lift weights
well beyond what the other pilots there were doing.

I don't think you need to worry about taking a medication that's not on the
FAA's restricted list. But as Dave says, for best results you might
consider becoming an AOPA member and availing yourself of their medical
advisors. They aren't perfect either, but they certainly can offer better
and more specific advice than most of us could.

[...]
Oh - he charged me $20 extra because of "extra paperwork" for the
items I need to follow up on and get sent to them.

Is that also normal?

Never heard of it myself. I've had a variety of "extra paperwork" type
issues over the years, and have never paid any additional fees. That said,
a $20 surcharge seems reasonable, for a doctor who wants to nickel and dime
everyone. Just be glad it's not $50.

Pete

Old March 15th 05, 08:17 PM
GEG

Yes - I'm a member.
I'll look into it.
I read through it, but I don't see anything
about dealing with this.
I looked at their (AOPA) medication site and didn't expect this.

What can they do.
I'm telling the truth - that's rule #1, right?

Thanks,

Gary

Old March 15th 05, 08:21 PM
Mark Hansen

On 3/15/2005 11:59, Dave Butler wrote:

GEG wrote:
I'm a student pilot. I went for my first medical today.
There were 3 issues.

I don't know the answers to your specific questions, but I have a suggestion:

If you're not a member of AOPA, join. Actually, I'm not sure pre-solo students
are eligible to join...

Of course they are.

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL
Sacramento, CA
Old March 15th 05, 08:25 PM
GEG

He gave me 2 weeks to submit medical information to him, it appears,
to be included in my application. Maybe he's doing me a favor by
covering the bases that the FAA might wish to have additional
information on. That might actually save me time in the end.
Old March 15th 05, 08:32 PM
nrp

I think an AME that starts an exam has only a couple of weeks before
mandatory submission of his findings, yea or nay - completed or not.
The forms are numbered.

Remember that an AME is not supposed to be acting as your advocate,
rather you are hiring him just like any other FAA designated examiner
to check you.

There are two levels of AMEs. The Senior ones are given more
discretion by the FAA. Maybe this guy is a junior one trying to keep
his nose clean?

Even after the AME sends in his report, the FAA still has 60 days to
limit, revoke, or put additional conditions on whatever he may have
granted.

AOPA is good but not infallible. I'm sure anyone can join though & I'd
recommend it.

That's as I understand it. Been there many times.

Old March 15th 05, 08:41 PM
Dave Butler

GEG wrote:
Yes - I'm a member.
I'll look into it.
I read through it, but I don't see anything
about dealing with this.
I looked at their (AOPA) medication site and didn't expect this.

OK, then call or email them and ask them for specific advice. That's what your
membership dues pay for. Good luck.

Dave
Old March 15th 05, 09:19 PM
Peter Clark

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:59:19 -0500, Dave Butler wrote:

Actually, I'm not sure pre-solo students are eligible to join... Anyway, get to the aopa web site and read through all

As far as I know, you don't even need to be a pilot to join. However,
I know I was pre-solo student when I did.

Old March 15th 05, 10:06 PM
Ron Natalie

GEG wrote:

The thing that got me was the Bextra has no FAA restrictions
yet he wants medical records specifically on my use of Bextra.
Plus, I only have 2 weeks to get the info.

While the drug may be approved, they want to make sure what you are
taking it for is approved.

Is this normal?

Not uncommon. Just be sure that the AME wants it for his own
information. Try to avoid a deferral at all costs, suggest a call
to the regional Flight Surgeon if he is waffling. Without the regional
FS assistance I'd have really been in trouble when I had the medical
from the scum of the earth AME.

There were a half-dozen other pilots through there, one older
gentleman who seemed as though he could barely walk and he went
right through (I'd imagine he is a professional pilot
and has been going there a long time.)

Generally once you've got something buy the AME/FAA the first time,
rewewals are just an issue of marking "Previously Reported, No Change"
on that item.