The Left vs the Right

Old May 12th 09, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default The Left vs the Right

I forwarded that hilarious youtube Hitler-as-CD video to my brother,
who several questions later asked me why we have to turn to the left
in the start cylinder but have to turn right when releasing from tow.

I did not have an answer to that question. But I sure hope that I wake
up one day and find out one of the two sets of rules has changed!

~ted/2NO
Old May 12th 09, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On May 11, 9:20*pm, Tuno wrote:
I forwarded that hilarious youtube Hitler-as-CD video to my brother,
who several questions later asked me why we have to turn to the left
in the start cylinder but have to turn right when releasing from tow.

I did not have an answer to that question. But I sure hope that I wake
up one day and find out one of the two sets of rules has changed!

~ted/2NO

Ted,

Historically we turned right after release from tow so that is why we
do it in a contest still. The left turns come from the days of
cameras pointed at your left wing tip, you had to turn left around the
turn-point so the rule was set that everyone would turn left to avoid
conflicts.

Old May 12th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_9_]

On May 11, 10:32*pm, Tim Taylor wrote:
On May 11, 9:20*pm, Tuno wrote:

I forwarded that hilarious youtube Hitler-as-CD video to my brother,
who several questions later asked me why we have to turn to the left
in the start cylinder but have to turn right when releasing from tow.

I did not have an answer to that question. But I sure hope that I wake
up one day and find out one of the two sets of rules has changed!

~ted/2NO

Ted,

Historically we turned right after release from tow so that is why we
do it in a contest still. *The left turns come from the days of
cameras pointed at your left wing tip, you had to turn left around the
turn-point so the rule was set that everyone would turn left to avoid
conflicts.

"All left turners leave the room".

That's True Tim. So the question now is - is there any provision
still in the rules for use of cameras in a contest? If not, why not
turn right in the cylinders? I sometimes amuse myself at contests
observing whether pilots even give lip service to a right turn off
tow. Most give a feint to the right then turn hard left to try to
catch the thermal they just flew through.

9B
Old May 12th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On May 11, 9:20*pm, Tuno wrote:

[...]

As far as I'm aware, the right turn off tow is a North American
practice. Everywhere else turns left.

Don't ask me why. Perhaps the same reason Americans drive on the
wrong side of the road?

Mike
Old May 12th 09, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Logajan

Mike the Strike wrote:
As far as I'm aware, the right turn off tow is a North American
practice. Everywhere else turns left.

It's the only way to get a tailwind in the perpetual high pressure areas we
fly. Everyone else in the world appears to fly in depressions and have to
turn left to get the tailwind. Terribly sad!

Don't ask me why. Perhaps the same reason Americans drive on the
wrong side of the road?

Tsk:
"...about 34% of the world's people live in left-hand traffic countries and
66% in right-hand traffic countries. About 28% of the world's total road
distance carries traffic on the left, and 72% on the right."

Quoted from this link (even has a color coded map to make it clear how out
of step those left-lane drivers really are ;-)):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving..._left_or_right
Old May 12th 09, 05:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On May 12, 7:39*am, Mike the Strike wrote:

As far as I'm aware, the right turn off tow is a North American
practice. *Everywhere else turns left.

Hmmm. Not everywhere, even in other colonies.
Right turn in Australia... After a low tow!
Jim
Old May 12th 09, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_9_]

On May 11, 9:20*pm, Tuno wrote:

[...]

I figured only make the contest pilots change thermalling direction
rather than every US glider pilot change direction off tow. It's a
nit, but I'll pick it.

9B
Old May 12th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Big Wings

At least one club in the UK requires the glider to turn right when
releasing from tow as well.

If the tug has side-by-side seats the tug pilot is on the left so if he
goes left after the glider releases he can make a good lookout before
turning. If he goes right his view is impaired. So, tug left, glider
right is safer....

At 16:20 12 May 2009, JS wrote:
On May 12, 7:39=Adam, Mike the Strike wrote:

As far as I'm aware, the right turn off tow is a North American
practise. =Everywhere else turns left.

HM. Not everywhere, even in other colonies.

Old May 12th 09, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On May 11, 8:20*pm, Tuno wrote:
I forwarded that hilarious youtube Hitler-as-CD video to my brother,
who several questions later asked me why we have to turn to the left
in the start cylinder but have to turn right when releasing from tow.

I did not have an answer to that question. But I sure hope that I wake
up one day and find out one of the two sets of rules has changed!

~ted/2NO

Who turns right when releasing off tow at a contest? Most costest tow
pilots are gone as soon as the release is pulled. I usually make a
token roll input to the right then crank left into the thermal as soon
as the tug is clear.

Andy
Old May 12th 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Who turns right when releasing off tow at a contest?

In 2004 or 2005 at an ASA contest day at Estrella I did one of those
feint-right, turn-left maneuvers off tow. At the pilots meeting the
next morning, the proprietor came by and "reminded" us that we were to
turn right off tow, and make it a real right turn.

So, to answer your question, I do

2NO