BA 777 crash at Heathrow

Old January 18th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

Default BA 777 crash at Heathrow

What the heck happened? Fuel starvation? Doesn't sound like wind shear could have been an issue.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...inplane17.html

Old January 18th 08, 12:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kloudy via AviationKB.com

Blueskies wrote:
What the heck happened? Fuel starvation? Doesn't sound like wind shear could have been an issue.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...inplane17.html

passenger hack into the entertainment system?

Old January 18th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron A.[_3_]

It almost sounds like reverse thrust came on at least one engine.

Steeper than normal glideslope and offset from runway center line.

Old January 18th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Furtaw

Blueskies wrote:
What the heck happened? Fuel starvation? Doesn't sound like wind shear
could have been an issue.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...inplane17.html

passenger hack into the entertainment system?

I'm betting on wind shear or microburst...or he was told "land and hold
short" Bob F.

Old January 18th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
D Ramapriya

On Jan 18, 4:23 am, "Blueskies" wrote:
What the heck happened? Fuel starvation? Doesn't sound like wind shear could have been an issue.

Albeit that they aren't always fully reliable in such matters, eye-
witness reports seem to indicate that in the final moments before
landing, the 777 had a distinct nose-up attitude. Tells me that the
pilot might somehow have got his aerodynamic fundamentals wrong in
those moments of unexpectedness. If he was looking to maximize a
glide, it strikes me as odd that the plane wasn't either level or even
nose-down a touch.

Ramapriya
[looking forward to the pilots to tear me up now )]
Old January 18th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

"Blueskies" wrote:

What the heck happened? Fuel starvation? Doesn't sound like wind shear could have been an issue.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...inplane17.html

Regardless of the cause the outcome was positive.

Ron Lee
Old January 18th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Slug

D Ramapriya wrote:
On Jan 18, 4:23 am, "Blueskies" wrote:
What the heck happened? Fuel starvation? Doesn't sound like wind shear could have been an issue.

Albeit that they aren't always fully reliable in such matters, eye-
witness reports seem to indicate that in the final moments before
landing, the 777 had a distinct nose-up attitude. Tells me that the
pilot might somehow have got his aerodynamic fundamentals wrong in
those moments of unexpectedness. If he was looking to maximize a
glide, it strikes me as odd that the plane wasn't either level or even
nose-down a touch.

Ramapriya
[looking forward to the pilots to tear me up now )]

He was getting a blow job from a male flight attendant and
he got bit
Old January 18th 08, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Ron A." wrote in news:TLSjj.40078$Ux2.4927@attbi_s22:

It almost sounds like reverse thrust came on at least one engine.

Steeper than normal glideslope and offset from runway center line.

Best guess yet. I hadn't thought of that, but it's a distinct possibility.
A loss of one engine would not be that big an issue at that stage of the
flight, even with full flaps out, but a reverser deployment woud make a ot
of sense from what I've heard about the accident. Thee are a LOT of
safeties on the reversers, but it has happened to airplanes in the past.

Bertie
Old January 18th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LWG

The most likely cause is that the flight crew found out that their chief
flight attendant was Hillary, and they all panicked at the same time.

.. .

Old January 18th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Best guess yet. I hadn't thought of that, but it's a distinct possibility.
A loss of one engine would not be that big an issue at that stage of the
flight, even with full flaps out, but a reverser deployment woud make a ot
of sense from what I've heard about the accident. Thee are a LOT of
safeties on the reversers, but it has happened to airplanes in the past.

Bertie

What happens to pilots of flights that end like this if somebody on
the flight deck engaged the reversers prematurely?

There was that Lauda air business back in the 90s, I recall. Reverse
thruster(s) deployed in flight. Nobody made it.