Flying to JFK

Old January 17th 05, 08:54 PM
PaulaJay1

Default Flying to JFK

I plan to fly out of JFK (commercial) in April and find that a connecting
flight from CLE is difficult. So what if I fly my Archer to somewhere near JFK
( I sure don't want to land there and they don't want me to). Any Ideas on
where would be a good place to keep the plane for a couple of weeks and still
have a good way to get to JFK?

TIA

Chuck
Old January 17th 05, 11:12 PM
Roy Smith

PaulaJay1 wrote:
I plan to fly out of JFK (commercial) in April and find that a
connecting flight from CLE is difficult. So what if I fly my Archer
to somewhere near JFK ( I sure don't want to land there and they
don't want me to). Any Ideas on where would be a good place to keep
the plane for a couple of weeks and still have a good way to get to
JFK?

Depends on what you mean by "a good way".

My guess is the best way to get to JFK by public transit right now is
to land at Farmingdale (FRG), get the FBO to give you a lift to the
LIRR station (http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/lirr/html/ttn/farmingd.htm),
take the train to Jamaica, and transfer there for the new JFK AirTrain
(http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain).

Figure 20 minutes futzing around at the FBO while they scrounge up
somebody to give you a ride, 5 minutes to the train station, anywhere
from 5 minutes to an hour waiting for the train, 40 minutes to
Jamaica, 15 minutes for the transfer, 15 minutes to get to your
terminal on the AirTrain. That adds up to somewhere between 1:30 to
as much as 2:30 from when you hit the FBO to when you get to the JFK
terminal.

You'd probably do better getting a cab. If you avoid rush hour
traffic, it's probably a half hour cab ride.

The only other plausable alternative I can think of would be to land
at LDJ and get a cab (or car service) directly from there. It's 40
fewer direct miles if you're coming in from the west (and possibly
many fewer flying miles, if you get routed the long way around the
Class B into FRG). The down side is a much longer cab ride, and
probably crappier FBO service. I've got a friend based at LDJ; if you
want I can put you in touch with him for better info.
Old January 18th 05, 08:22 PM
Marco Leon

I will second Roy's recommendation to fly into FRG. I'm based there and I
also take the Long Island Railroad into work every day from the Farmingdale
train station. If you do choose to go into FRG, price around the transient
tiedown costs. I believe Long Island Jet Center (631-843-9488) is cheaper
but check thier price against Atlantic Aviation (631-752-9022). I've taken
the LIRR/AirTrain combination and it's pretty good. However for a "couple of
weeks" you'll probably have a fair amount of baggage so the extra $$ you
spend on a car service/taxi may be worth it to avoid lugging your stuff
around the train. If/when you call the FBOs, ask for a recommendation on a
car service/taxi/shuttle to JFK.

Here's the train schedule: http://www.lirr.org/lirr/html/ttn/farmingd.htm.
When are you planning on flying in?

Marco Leon

Old January 18th 05, 10:13 PM
Mike Schumann

Are you sure it wouldn't be cheaper and less hassle to fly commercial to
JFK?????

Mike Schumann

Old January 18th 05, 10:59 PM
Greg Piney

The best way would be to fly to JFK (or LaGuardia) the day before and
spend the night in one of the airport hotels.

Greg Piney

Old January 19th 05, 12:55 AM
PaulaJay1

In article , "Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com
writes:

I will second Roy's recommendation to fly into FRG. I'm based there and I
also take the Long Island Railroad into work every day from the Farmingdale
train station. If you do choose to go into FRG, price around the transient
tiedown costs. I believe Long Island Jet Center (631-843-9488) is cheaper
but check thier price against Atlantic Aviation (631-752-9022). I've taken
the LIRR/AirTrain combination and it's pretty good. However for a "couple of
weeks" you'll probably have a fair amount of baggage so the extra $$ you
spend on a car service/taxi may be worth it to avoid lugging your stuff
around the train. If/when you call the FBOs, ask for a recommendation on a
car service/taxi/shuttle to JFK.

Here's the train schedule: http://www.lirr.org/lirr/html/ttn/farmingd.htm.
When are you planning on flying in?

Thanks for all the info.

I would be comming in about April 17 and flying out about May 1. Don't believe
that flying the Archer makes sense but it might be fun to "fight" the NY
controllers.

I have found a good commercial flight into/outof LGA. How would it be to fly
into LGA (in the big iron) and then use ground transportation to JFK. I'm
guessing 1/2 hr trip between airports??? I'll probably stay over at one of the
JFK hotels comming back as the return flight gets in at 8PM on 4/30. Any
suggestions there?

Thanks again for everything,

Chuck
Old January 19th 05, 01:25 AM
Rosspilot

I'll probably stay over at one of the
JFK hotels comming back as the return flight gets in at 8PM on 4/30. Any
suggestions there?

The Holiday Inn at JFK (not the express)
is great! I have stayed there when I have an early morning departure (6 or 7
AM) the next day. My wife and I drive down the afternoon before the flight,
have a leisurely dinner out, and for $199.00, we get a room and can keep our
car there for up to 10 days, and a shuttle to/from the terminal.
Hard to beat in NYC.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old January 19th 05, 02:27 AM
Marco Leon

Are you sure you guys are "owners?" If you were, you would realize that
"convenience" is lower on the priority pole than "getting in your own plane
and flying." Help the guy out OK? Think of it as "assisting a fellow aviator
in decreasing his per-hour aircraft costs." And before you ask, NO--the
taxi/train costs do not play into the equation

Marco Leon

news

Old January 19th 05, 02:37 AM
Marco Leon

Sense? Sense??! Don't let those other posters make you think logically now.
You'll be flying your own plane man! When you take a moment to relax at
wherever you're going, you can sit back and take pride in the fact that you
helped yourself get there. Not to mention looking forward to flying again
when you return.

Have a good trip.

Marco Leon

Old January 19th 05, 02:38 AM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net wrote:

Are you sure you guys are "owners?" If you were, you would realize that
"convenience" is lower on the priority pole than "getting in your own plane
and flying." Help the guy out OK? Think of it as "assisting a fellow aviator
in decreasing his per-hour aircraft costs." And before you ask, NO--the
taxi/train costs do not play into the equation

Actually, another possibility is to just fly into JFK to make your
connection. It's certainly possible, but the tiedown fees are a bit
steep :-) The fee schedule is at
http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/jfkscheduleframe.htm