BFR for ALL rated aircraft......wtf

Old February 28th 12, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default BFR for ALL rated aircraft......wtf

There is an instructor in our club that's claiming the FAA would
"like" pilots to get BFR's in all aircraft they are rated to fly. It
makes sense to me that if a guy flies a twin turbine, getting a BFR
in a Blanik, and then jumping in a King Air is probably not a good
idea.

What about a pilot who get's a BFR in a C-172, then jumps in their
personal sailplane that they usually put 150 hours in a year?

The rationale I've heard reminds me that once again, society needs to
dumb us all down to the lowest common denominator: the pilot who
indeed thinks sailplanes and Twin Turbines are the same...........

Brad
Old February 28th 12, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 27, 4:09*pm, Brad wrote:
There is an instructor in our club that's claiming the FAA would
"like" pilots to get BFR's in all aircraft they are rated to fly...

That might be what the FAA would "like," but it isn't what's codified
in 14CFR61, and it isn't what any of the CFI's I know practice. So I
wouldn't lose any sleep over it until I saw an NPRM.

However, it is kind of easy to see their point. As it stands, a BFR in
a Cezzna 172 clears you for another two years on your own in your
sailplane. That's reasonable. But on the flip side, a BFR in a
Schweizer 2-33 also clears you for another two years on your own in a
Beech Baron or an L-39 jet. That might be considered a little less
reasonable.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old February 28th 12, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Feb 27, 4:09*pm, Brad wrote:
There is an instructor in our club that's claiming the FAA would
"like" pilots to get BFR's in all aircraft they are rated to fly. It
makes sense to me that if a guy flies a *twin turbine, getting a BFR
in a Blanik, and then jumping in a King Air is probably not a good
idea.

What about a pilot who get's a BFR in a C-172, then jumps in their
personal sailplane that they usually put 150 hours in a year?

The rationale I've heard reminds me that once again, society needs to
dumb us all down to the lowest common denominator: the pilot who
indeed thinks sailplanes and Twin Turbines are the same...........

Brad

It has been recommended by CFIs, DPEs and others, that a pilot should
get a Flight Review in the most complex aircraft they fly. 14CFR61
only requires a flight review in one aircraft regardless of how many
different category or class you may fly. We encourage our tow pilots
to complete a power flight review, not glider.

Old February 29th 12, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected][_2_]

There is one exception to the FR for all categories: SFAR 73
(1) No person may act as pilot in command of a Robinson model R–22
unless that person:

(i) Has had at least 200 flight hours in helicopters, at least 50
flight hours of which were in the Robinson R–22; or

(ii) Has had at least 10 hours dual instruction in the Robinson R–22
and has received an endorsement from a certified flight instructor
authorized under paragraph (b)(5) of this section that the individual
has been given the training required by this paragraph and is
proficient to act as pilot in command of an R–22. Beginning 12
calendar months after the date of the endorsement, the individual may
not act as pilot in command unless the individual has completed a
flight review in an R–22 within the preceding 12 calendar months and
obtained an endorsement for that flight review. The dual instruction
must include at least the following abnormal and emergency procedures
flight training:

Instrument rated? Greg Siemon Products 6 January 30th 06 03:25 PM
Instrument rated? Greg Siemon Instrument Flight Rules 7 January 30th 06 03:25 PM
BFR.. define "rated". Dave S Piloting 20 September 23rd 05 10:47 PM
OT - humor (G-rated) Rich S. Home Built 6 September 30th 04 04:40 PM
Instrument Rated David Megginson Instrument Flight Rules 15 August 13th 03 06:09 PM