GPS system

Old January 8th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

Default GPS system

Could anyone here tell me if a portable GPS system
of high quality would be of practical application to
small aircraft? It can be mounted.

Thanks.

--
Mark
Old January 8th 09, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:
Could anyone here tell me if a portable GPS system
of high quality would be of practical application to
small aircraft? It can be mounted.

Thanks.

--
Mark

You mean like these?

http://www.sportys.com/acb/Category....ID=19&CATID=93

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 9th 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

On Jan 8, 4:45*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
Could anyone here tell me if a portable GPS system
of high quality would be of practical application to
small aircraft? It can be mounted.

Thanks.

--
Mark

You mean like these?

--
Jim Pennino

Yeah, kinda. I see now that some units are made
specifically for aviation, and from the looks, seem to
include pertinent instrumentation, like a control panel.

Mine seems to be more for maps, and exploration.
I really havent been all thru it yet. It doesn't contain
an altimeter as such, but does give headings and
trip data. I dunno, it might be helpful.

thanks.

--
Mark

Old January 9th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:
On Jan 8, 4:45Â*pm, wrote:
Mark wrote:
Could anyone here tell me if a portable GPS system
of high quality would be of practical application to
small aircraft? It can be mounted.

Thanks.

--
Mark

You mean like these?

--
Jim Pennino

Yeah, kinda. I see now that some units are made
specifically for aviation, and from the looks, seem to
include pertinent instrumentation, like a control panel.

Mine seems to be more for maps, and exploration.
I really havent been all thru it yet. It doesn't contain
an altimeter as such, but does give headings and
trip data. I dunno, it might be helpful.

All the portable aviation GPS units include charts with airspace
information, terrain information with altitude warning, heading,
ground speed, and much, much more.

You might download and read the user manual for a typical one.

http://www.avmap.us/index.php?swt=0309&sec=3&ipr=4

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 9th 09, 07:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Karl-Heinz Künzel

Mark schrieb:
Could anyone here tell me if a portable GPS system
of high quality would be of practical application to
small aircraft? It can be mounted.

Thanks.

--
Mark

Mark, you will find a good started here

http://www.cockpitgps.com/

KH
Old January 9th 09, 12:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 13:21:08 -0800 (PST), Mark
wrote:

Could anyone here tell me if a portable GPS system
of high quality would be of practical application to
small aircraft? It can be mounted.

Thanks.

have you lived in a cave all your life?
Old January 9th 09, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark

wrote:

Could anyone here tell me if a portable GPS system
of high quality would be of practical application to
small aircraft? It can be mounted.

Thanks.

have you lived in a cave all your life?

No, its simply a matter of:

My limited experience of aviation has been in older planes
without GPS equipment, and more specifically,..

The GPS unit I have recently received was a gift, and I hadn't
familiarized my self with it as such, but did notice it seemed
geared more toward nautical data. Makes sense cause the
giver knows I also spend time on the water. I simply wanted
some intelligent feedback as to the parameters for
consideration for multiple applications of -any- GPS.

Thank you all for your feedback. It was perfect and now
I think I'll get another, better GPS developed specifically
for aviation.

The only time I spent in a cave was while exploring the
backwoods of West Virginia. It was a very harrowing
experience. Your mother wouldn't let go of my leg.

--
Mark
Old January 9th 09, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mark wrote:

The GPS unit I have recently received was a gift, and I hadn't
familiarized my self with it as such, but did notice it seemed
geared more toward nautical data. Makes sense cause the
giver knows I also spend time on the water. I simply wanted
some intelligent feedback as to the parameters for
consideration for multiple applications of -any- GPS.

FYI most GPS units designed for land/sea use don't work very well
if at all at airplane speeds, i.e. not very much faster than a
car can go.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 9th 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tri-Pacer[_2_]

FYI most GPS units designed for land/sea use don't work very well

You bring up one of my pet peeves with the Lowrance unit I am now using.

It defaults to including all the nautical stuff in the data base. Each time
I switch between land and aviation use I have to remove the undersea
obstructions, buoy, etc.

Even with my limited ceiling I don't often have to dodge marker buoys at
altitude.

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A