Good Parts of SSA

Old September 8th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

Default Good Parts of SSA

While fretting over the latest news about my National
Soaring Club, I consoled myself by finding one part
of SSA that I enjoy: reading well written articles.

Right now, John Good is producing such a product and
his first one of the Gran Prix can be found on the
SSA website at:
http://www.ssa.org/UsTeam/ust_reports_fgp01.htm

Last night, I read all the reports that were on line
at that time. Wonderful writing by John makes me want
to go there more so than the actual flying.

Maybe one of these days I can get there before all
of the lavendar plants have been lost to memory and
the olive trees are still producing olives.

If John's articles say anything about Doug having a
grand time or not, I missed it. But I can tell that
John is having a ball.

Sure hope Doug will continue to fly fast and John continues
to 'smell the roses' of Provence.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old September 8th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

One thing that would be a big help is if the articles in Soaring Magazine
would be available on the SSA web site.

Mike Schumann

"Ray Lovinggood" wrote in
message ...

Old September 8th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

"Mike Schumann" wrote in message
ink.net...
One thing that would be a big help is if the articles in Soaring Magazine
would be available on the SSA web site.

Mike Schumann

Converting Soaring Magazine to a webzine is a way to save significant money.
The PP&P (Paper, Printing & Postage) costs of a print magazine are
significant. I understand that there are many who want the hardcopy but I
can live without it if that's what it takes to keep the organization afloat.
Anyway, today's ink jet printers can almost match the quality of a magazine
for those who must have a hardcopy.

Threre are almost certainly members who would vollunteer to manage a webzine
at least for a time.

Bill Daniels

Old September 8th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Looking at the SSA budget, printing & postage, presumably the bulk of this
is the magazine, is over $300K / year, about 1/3rd of the total SSA budget.
Going electronic would certainly help a lot.

Mike Schumann

. ..

Old September 8th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Mike Schumann wrote:
[...]

That is an excellent idea (and I think it is how the Canadians do it).
An extra fee could be charged for those who have to have a printed
copy, perhaps another $20-30 per year.

Tom Seim
Richland, WA

Old September 8th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad

That is an excellent idea (and I think it is how the Canadians do it).
An extra fee could be charged for those who have to have a printed
copy, perhaps another $20-30 per year.

Add another $20 or $30 per year for a printed magazine, on top of what
we already pay for dues? I don't think so!

Brad
199AK

Old October 6th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Glick

That is why the choice should be given, if you don't want it, don't buy it.
Easy enough

Brian
oups.com...