In Contemplation While Doing a Wet Layup on a Plastic Homebuilt Airplane

Old August 17th 04, 12:57 AM
jls

Default In Contemplation While Doing a Wet Layup on a Plastic Homebuilt Airplane

Here is a link to the skinny on killing lawyers, which I ain't been for
years, but it still is in my blood. It is plain fun reading, esp if you
like Wm. Shakespea

http://www.scu.edu/law/FacWebPage/Pe...hakespeare.htm
Hint: Ol' Shax, like Dickens, was skilled in the law.

And here is an interesting lawsuit abrewing. The FBO's invoice shows it
was taking some of the $ charged by the A&P,who hadn't ought to have put RTV
on the threads of the cylinder hold-down bolts. It is sad that two souls
lost their lives:
NYC03FA043
NTSB Identification: NYC03FA043.
The docket is stored in the Docket Management System (DMS). Please contact
Public Inquiries
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Sunday, January 26, 2003 in Delaware City, DE
Probable Cause Approval Date: 2/5/2004
Aircraft: Beech V35B, registration: N6432X
Injuries: 2 Fatal.
The airplane was in cruise flight at 4000 feet msl, at night, when the pilot
reported a partial loss of engine power. Air traffic control provided a
vector to the nearest airport, about 8 miles north of the airplane's
position. About 7 miles from the airport, at an altitude of approximately
1,000 feet, the pilot reported that he was not going to reach the airport.
The airplane subsequently impacted terrain about 6 miles from the airport.
Examination of the wreckage revealed an approximate 4-inch diameter hole on
the top section of the crankcase, near the number two cylinder. Further
examination of the engine at the manufacturer's facility revealed that a
silicone sealant consistent with RTV was observed along mating surfaces
where the cylinders attached to the case. The substance was also found on
the through-bolts. The number two cylinder was found backed-off from the
case. The engine case exhibited marks consistent with rubbing between the
number two cylinder and the case. The number two piston ring had shattered.
The number two piston skirt...

My respects to the goodfellows of RAH. BTW, that guy, Mike Arnold of AR-5
fame, can show you how to do the best layups in the world.

Old August 17th 04, 04:14 AM
UltraJohn

jls wrote:

Here is a link to the skinny on killing lawyers, which I ain't been for
years, but it still is in my blood. It is plain fun reading, esp if you
like Wm. Shakespea

http://www.scu.edu/law/FacWebPage/Pe...hakespeare.htm

Try this. . . .

http://www.scu.edu/law/FacWebPage/Pe...akespeare.html

Old August 17th 04, 02:56 PM
Wright1902Glider

Am I correct in assuming that the A&P used RTV both on the bolts and in place
of/in conjunction with the cylinder gasket?

Don't suppose he had ever heard that RTV is often refered to as "Yellow Death."

Harry
Old August 17th 04, 09:38 PM
jerry Wass

Wright1902Glider wrote:

Am I correct in assuming that the A&P used RTV both on the bolts and in place
of/in conjunction with the cylinder gasket?

Don't suppose he had ever heard that RTV is often refered to as "Yellow Death."

Harry

I thot yellow death was the same as gorilla snot--the solvent-cut weatherstrip
adhesive..'Course, either one can extrude into the crankcase & wind up plugging
up the hole in a hydraulic lifter--or some other such place..