Windows Vista - ready for Soaring Laptops?

Old April 10th 07, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chris

Default Windows Vista - ready for Soaring Laptops?

It is time to upgrade the old laptop, was wondering if Window Vista is
compatible with the soaring software/hardware.

So does the Edition of Vista matter? I think for my work needs [CAD
and Desktop Publishing]
I will end up with the Business edition,
do these other versions cause any additional considerations?
Ultimate
Home Premium
Home Basic

SeeYou - seems like it has been tested ok

WinScore ?

StrePla - I think they issued a new compatible version.

Winpilot 3D
Winpilot Pro/Adv for PDA

PDA hardwa

I understand that Activesync is now called "Microsoft Windows Mobile
Device Center" Sadly only Windows Mobile 2003 and Windows Mobile 5
are supported, older versions no longer: So old Compaq Aeros and many
other Ipaqs cannot install new software upgrades since Active sync is
not available. You may be able to connect and copy files but that is
not the same as installing via activesync.

SeeYou Mobile seems to have a workaround installing the contents of a
zip onto the memory card.

Since most new laptops do not include a serial port I plan to add a
serial port adapter pcmcia card. [to be capatible with my
Volkslogger, and Garmin as well as other peoples serial port stuff]

Would appreciate feedback.
Chris

Old April 10th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Are there not current work-arounds for Active-Sync available? Do we
really have to pitch our trusty Compaq Aeros?

Old April 10th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

My question is, how can you have the need to upgrade your laptop's OS
but not need to upgrade your Compaq Aero platform?

Old April 10th 07, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flying_monkey

On Apr 10, 4:43 pm, "chris" wrote:
It is time to upgrade the old laptop, was wondering if Window Vista is
compatible with the soaring software/hardware.

So does the Edition of Vista matter?

Don't know.

SeeYou - seems like it has been tested ok

I've used this without problems on my Vista Home Premium. (But I
still hate Vista. I don't need a nanny, and I've turned off all that
user account control stuff.)

StrePla - I think they issued a new compatible version.

I've used StrePla with no problem.

Winpilot 3D
Winpilot Pro/Adv for PDA

PDA hardwa

I understand that Activesync is now called "Microsoft Windows Mobile
Device Center" Sadly only Windows Mobile 2003 and Windows Mobile 5
are supported, older versions no longer: So old Compaq Aeros and many
other Ipaqs cannot install new software upgrades since Active sync is
not available. You may be able to connect and copy files but that is
not the same as installing via activesync.

I've been able to install Pocket StrePla fine on my Axim, which is a
WM5 device.

Since most new laptops do not include a serial port I plan to add a
serial port adapter pcmcia card. [to be capatible with my
Volkslogger, and Garmin as well as other peoples serial port stuff]

Why wouldn't you use a USB serial port? Probably easier and cheaper,
I would think.

One thing about Vista is that it's a memory hog. The laptop you buy
will probably have .5 or 1GB, but that's not enough. You will need to
upgrade to 2GB to get performance like the same machine would give you
with an XP machine and 1GB. And the builder will probably give you
that 1GB by filling both slots with .5GB SODIMMs, which means that you
will end up with two wasted chips. *******s!

Ed

Old April 10th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I like the AERO....I can see it and I don't miss the pretty colors.
But my laptop is Windows98 and the motherboard is on its last
legs...both of these I use for soaring only. So I suppose I can shop
Ebay for a good price on an XP laptop. I fly a 20 year old Ventus
with SNAV-GPSNAV and that works for me. So pitching a perfectly fine
8 year old PDA is not a priority if I can avoid it. Hell, I even have
cracks on my gelcoat for that matter

Old April 10th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
01-- Zero One

Er... Uh... It is not a matter of money or prestige. The Aero still
has the most readable screen in daylight out there. Period. I know
people who are hoarding them. I have 3 or 4 myself ... just in case....

BTW, because of the built-in CF card slot, I _never_ use ActiveSync.

Larry

"zero one" USA

ups.com:

Old April 10th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
J. Nieuwenhuize

On 10 apr, 23:25, "flying_monkey" wrote:
One thing about Vista is that it's a memory hog. The laptop you buy
will probably have .5 or 1GB, but that's not enough. You will need to
upgrade to 2GB to get performance like the same machine would give you
with an XP machine and 1GB. And the builder will probably give you
that 1GB by filling both slots with .5GB SODIMMs, which means that you
will end up with two wasted chips. *******s!

Ed

Which is nonsense. I've been running Vista (Premium) quite a while and
with 1GB it runs fine, comparable with XP Pro. Only due to the intense
need of memory, mainly from Pro/E and Catia, combined expecially I
upgraded to 3GB.

Old April 10th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

If you are simply copying waypoints and soaring software you can use a CF
card reader with your PC. There is no real need to connect the Aero 1500 to
the PC.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

oups.com...

Old April 11th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chris

On Apr 10, 6:08 pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
If you are simply copying waypoints and soaring software you can use a CF
card reader with your PC. There is no real need to connect the Aero 1500 to
the PC.

Paul Remde

Maybe for Glidenav you just copy the file over. Other programs like
WinPilot and others needed to be installed on the PDA via ActiveSync.

Old April 11th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chris

On Apr 10, 5:25 pm, "Tuno" wrote:
My question is, how can you have the need to upgrade your laptop's OS
but not need to upgrade your Compaq Aero platform?

My windows 98SE machine only has dial-up internet access, do I really
need to say more?
And my PDA has Windows Mobile 2003 SE.
So I'm not worried about Aeros for myself - that was just brought up
to make others aware of the issue of losing support.