Soaring safaris

Old December 7th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flying_monkey[_1_]

Default Soaring safaris

OK, it's the time of year to talk about soaring instead of doing it
here in the Northeast, so I'll ask this question. If a person was just
bursting to go soaring this time of year or up to the early spring,
maybe get some XC or badge legs, where would be the ideal place to go?
If it's not all the way on the other side of the country, I could take
my Jantar, or I could rent a glider if it's too far. The chance to get
diamond altitude would be nice.

Thanks in advance for a lot of advice,
Ed

Old December 7th 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

We have done significant cross-country flights here in Arizona in every
month of the year, including over the Christmas and New Year holiday
period, although our regular season only really begins in late February
or early March. Southern California might be another good bet.

Check last year's OLC flights, they might give you some ideas.

Mike

Old December 7th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flying_monkey[_1_]

Mike the Strike wrote:
Check last year's OLC flights, they might give you some ideas.

Interesting you bring that up, it's a good idea. But how do I get to
last years flights? I can't find a link, and if you change the year on
the calendar, it says that nothing is available.

Ed

Old December 7th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

The old data are still on the previous system.

Try:

http://www2.onlinecontest.org/olcphp...69dc822c515847

Mike

On Dec 7, 8:19 am, "flying_monkey"
wrote:
Check last year's OLC flights, they might give you some ideas.Interesting you bring that up, it's a good idea. But how do I get to

Old December 7th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Wyld

given the subject, I thought you would be talking about
http://www.soaring-safaris.com/ !!

It would give you the answer to your question.

Old December 7th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I plan to spend spring break in Littlefield, TX doing some instructing
and hopefully finishing up silver badge.

Probably wont pull the Cherokee down there though. Gas is too
expensive, would take too long. Itll be waiting for me when I get home
so I can practice up to win Sports Class at the Region 7 Contest (har
har har)

Old December 7th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
flying_monkey[_1_]

Peter Wyld wrote:
given the subject, I thought you would be talking about
http://www.soaring-safaris.com/ !!

It would give you the answer to your question.

I've seen that site before, sounds like fantastic soaring there. But I
guess I wasn't taking the idea of a sarari that literally. Let's see,
at least $3k airfare, probably 500 for a weeks lodging, and we haven't
even gotten to glider rental and tows yet. I don't think that's within
the budget I had in mind.

Thanks, anyway,
Ed

Old December 7th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Actually, South Africa isn't as expensive as you might think, being one
of the few countries with a reasonably favorable dollar exchange rate.
It's also not as expensive to fly there as you might expect - my wife
and I return to visit family over Christmas quite often. You could do
it from the east coast for around $1,200.

The soaring will definitely be better than anywhere in the northern
hemisphere at that time.

Mike

On Dec 7, 11:21 am, "flying_monkey"
wrote:
Peter Wyld wrote:
given the subject, I thought you would be talking about
http://www.soaring-safaris.com/!!

It would give you the answer to your question.I've seen that site before, sounds like fantastic soaring there. But I

Old December 7th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

IMHO - FLORIDA is by far your best bet . Take a look at the "Seniors
" cross country results the past 10 years ( always held the second week
in March ).

ZA.

Old December 8th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

flying_monkey wrote:
OK, it's the time of year to talk about soaring instead of doing it
here in the Northeast, so I'll ask this question. If a person was just
bursting to go soaring this time of year or up to the early spring,
maybe get some XC or badge legs, where would be the ideal place to go?
If it's not all the way on the other side of the country, I could take
my Jantar, or I could rent a glider if it's too far. The chance to get
diamond altitude would be nice.

Thanks in advance for a lot of advice,
Ed

Ed....It's right under you nose!! The Northeast IS the place to fly,
(instead of talking).....Look at the OLC...I think you will find Ridge
Soaring, PA and Blairstown, NJ as the top two locations in the USA
since October......probably 4th and 5th in the world as well.

Expect great ridge flights will be made at these locations in
tomorrow's predicted NW winds!!!

Cook