Boarding with engines running

Old February 24th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Boarding with engines running

Is it safe/advisable to board a small single- or twin-engined aircraft while
the prop(s) and engine(s) are turning? I'm just wondering if this is feasible
if you just have someone getting on or getting off (with the pilot being in
the aircraft the whole time).

On a related note, how long can you safely leave an aircraft (engines off)
with just the parking brake set, and when do you normally put chocks under the
wheels?

Old February 24th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Viperdoc[_4_]

I generally hit the pause button before getting out of the chair.

Old February 24th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
EridanMan

Is it safe/advisable to board a small single- or twin-engined aircraft while
the prop(s) and engine(s) are turning? I'm just wondering if this is feasible
if you just have someone getting on or getting off (with the pilot being in
the aircraft the whole time).

Advisable? No.
Safe? Depends on too many factors to tell say outright... Front
engined aircraft that boards over the trailing edge of the wing?
Probably safe (although I'd imagine getting some doors open under even
an idle prop-stream would be a pain/might risk damage to the door...
light aircraft doors tend to be very flimsy) Twin which boards over
the wing? Not a chance... WAY to many other variables (how bright is
it (how visible is the prop disc), how much idle blast does the prop
throw?
Done anyways? Sure.

On a related note, how long can you safely leave an aircraft (engines off)
with just the parking brake set,

Kinda a nonsensical question, how long until the next stiff wind
blows? what angle will it blow at? In all honesty, most chalks will
probably do no better than the wheel brakes alone at protecting from a
stiff gust... t takes quite a bit of wind to overcome the static
friction of the wheels. If the wind is strong enough to overpower a
brake, a chalk probably won't do much better- what you'll need is good
heavy chains, or better yet, a hangar.

The flip-side is that in general, if your paying the MX bills, its
really not a good idea to leave the brake engaged, this is simply a
wear issue (Its better to store a hydrolic system unpressurized then
pressurized, If you have the choice). Wheel chalks are slightly more
reliable, and much cheaper, then a parking break, but no
"safer" (better at keeping an aircraft stationary)

and when do you normally put chocks under the wheels?

when park your plane.... duh?

Old February 24th 07, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"EridanMan" wrote

when park your plane.... duh?

Just for the uninformed, this is a troll,; a disturbed person that only
flies microsoft flight simulator, and is afraid to get in a real airplane.
He has problems with reality, and should be treated as a troll, and ignored.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 24th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Morgans" wrote in message

"EridanMan" wrote

when park your plane.... duh?

Just for the uninformed, this is a troll,; a disturbed person that only
flies microsoft flight simulator, and is afraid to get in a real airplane.
He has problems with reality, and should be treated as a troll, and
ignored.
--
Jim in NC

Ok, is there ANYONE here who isn't already familier with Mr. Maniac's
background? Don't be shy - raise your hand.

Anyone?

Nope. I didn't think so.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old February 25th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Blueskies

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote in message
news:r5SdnXvx0KlcUX3YnZ2dnUVZ_vCknZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
:
: Ok, is there ANYONE here who isn't already familier with Mr. Maniac's
: background? Don't be shy - raise your hand.
:
: Anyone?
:
: Nope. I didn't think so.
:
: --
: Geoff
: The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com
: remove spaces and make the obvious substitutions to reply by mail
: When immigration is outlawed, only outlaws will immigrate.
:
:

Who?

Old February 25th 07, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote

Ok, is there ANYONE here who isn't already familier with Mr. Maniac's
background? Don't be shy - raise your hand.

Anyone?

Nope. I didn't think so.

This poster was a name I didn't recall seeing around, and I thought he was a
newbie that needed to be informed.

A thousand pardons, if that was not the case.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 26th 07, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
EridanMan

On Feb 24, 4:13 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk at wow way d0t com wrote

Ok, is there ANYONE here who isn't already familier with Mr. Maniac's
background? Don't be shy - raise your hand.

Anyone?

Nope. I didn't think so.

This poster was a name I didn't recall seeing around, and I thought he was a
newbie that needed to be informed.

A thousand pardons, if that was not the case.
--
Jim in NC

I'm a lurker/occasional poster...

I honestly had not understood what a lot of the problem with MX was
until I read Jay's thread about loosing a friend while flying a few
hours after posting this response to him. (I don't read every thread
on this board) I'm not sure if I would still categorize him as a
Troll in the strictest sense (not that Trollish behavior isn't a very
subjective judgment). I've always considered Trolls to be posters who
intentionally 'stir the pot' to see the emotional reaction without
truly caring about the subject matter. MX on the other hand seems
genuinely interested in flying and aviation, but otherwise fairly
oblivious to how tactless and sophomoric his arguments can sound to
others...

To be completely honest, I suspect that MX is either a child or
autistic adult- clearly intelligent and proud of his knowledge, but
also completely oblivious socially/empathically and a little to eager
to 'show off what he knows'.

I think it would be hard to argue that he hadn't stirred up at least
some reasonably interesting threads on this board... But I can
understand those of you who are sick of it... I'm sorry, I will try
and remember to use the MX: subject tag if/when I respond to him in
the future.

Old February 25th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Andreas Tschoeke

Morgans schrieb:

Just for the uninformed, this is a troll

definition?

:-) Andreas

P.S. Get'n fed up with this on r.a.p!

Medical running out? [email protected] Piloting 6 May 28th 06 02:19 PM
Running dry? Greg Copeland Piloting 257 August 26th 05 03:47 PM
Running runup? G. Burkhart Piloting 39 July 7th 04 11:25 AM
Running an 0-235 well beyond TBO Paul Folbrecht Owning 8 March 14th 04 12:30 AM
Leaving all engines running at the gate John Piloting 12 February 5th 04 03:46 AM