Why bother about light aircraft noise.

Old July 8th 05, 09:25 AM

Default Why bother about light aircraft noise.

I has looking at a TV show about traffic violations including the odd
high speed chases.
Part of the show was about the technical integerty of vehicles being
pulled over.
One of the things the police looked at was the sound level of cars and
motorcycles, especially the ones with the sporty exhausts.

So things went like: Your VW golf is rated at 84db and it produces 106
so you get a fine of ... and show us your car in two weeks with the
original exhaust.
There was a bike that is allowed to produce 92db at 5000 rpm.

Hmmm, 84 and 92 db.
My noise certificate shows that my plane(1974 MS880B) produces 69db.
That is way below a standard car or bike is allowed.

Now my question is why people complain about light aircraft noise while
there are hordes of cars and bikes that make a lot more noise?

-Kees

Old July 8th 05, 01:08 PM
NW_PILOT

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

As a bike rider "Loud Pipes Save Lives" & "Lots of Lights will help prevent
riding in a van with lots of spinning lights" Now foot these little rice
grinders with the exhausts that you can here 6 blocks away and they reve
their engines at the stop sign's I look at them and laugh think how dumb
they sound compared to American cubic inches. I would rather here an
airplane, v8 race car, loud motorcycles, jap and American all day long then
here a little rice grinder car's exaust tip with their stereos rattling my
windows.

Old July 8th 05, 10:02 PM
Sport Pilot

NW_PILOT wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

A souped up and light weight rice rocket will beat most stock detroit
muscle cars. I actually like the sound of a high revving fourbanger,
though I prefer souped up V-8.

Old July 12th 05, 04:51 AM
Grumman-581

"Sport Pilot" wrote in message
oups.com...
A souped up and light weight rice rocket will beat most stock detroit
muscle cars.

It doesn't need to be that souped up... Recently bought a 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6
(Ninja 600) from a guy at the office (only had 1200 miles on it)... It had a
problem with the carb and when I took it to the dealership to get it fixed,
the mechanic said that it was "only running on 2 and a half cylinders"...
Regardless, it was able to easily get up to 160 mpg (had to slow down for a
curve)... The bike is perfectly stock... Runs quite a bit better with the
carb fixed, but I don't think I'm going to try to top it out... The amount
that I had to lean it over to get around a slight curve on a major 4 lane
highway definitely got my adrenaline pumping... Wasn't sure I was going to
be able to make the curve...

Old July 13th 05, 01:45 PM
Grumman-581

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
snp
Regardless, it was able to easily get up to 160 mpg (had to slow down for

curve)...

/snip

Ooops... Replace mpg with mph... Finger fumble strikes again...

Old July 8th 05, 01:37 PM
OtisWinslow

That's easy. Because they don't have one and they're not doing
the flying and they're jealous. It's a control issue .. nothing to
do with noise.

oups.com...

Old July 12th 05, 04:40 PM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-07-08, OtisWinslow wrote:
That's easy. Because they don't have one and they're not doing
the flying and they're jealous. It's a control issue .. nothing to
do with noise.

A small minority, maybe (who then go up to stir up everyone else). Most
people aren't particularly bothered in my experience, and hardly notice
the noise - well, the noise of a typical light trainer with a fixed
pitch prop.

The trouble is we do it to ourselves half the time. I've lost count of
the number of pilots in aircraft with constant speed props who seem to
think it's a great idea to shove the prop to fine pitch on downwind
making a very annoying "rrrrRRRRRRRR" noise (and making the aircraft
MUCH noisier as it flies the rest of downwind). Absolutely no need.
These types also usually fly downwind at such speed that poor C150s are
being forced out of the circuit. The prop can wait until short final.

All it takes is a little thought to fly with consideration for our
airport neighbours (and other pilots) - most high performance planes
will slow down to trainer speed just fine if need be (I used to fly a
Bonanza quite often, and I didn't find it hard to go at C150 speed if I
needed to). Even in lower performance planes with fixed pitch props you
can easily reduce your noise footprint - just fly slower at lower RPM.
A C172 can happily fly downwind at 2150 RPM and makes much less noise
than at 2300 RPM. (At one extreme is our Auster towplane, with an O-320,
it happily flies downwind at 1500 RPM and at the same speed as the
gliders, but with a power on stall speed of 30 mph, it is sort of an
extreme :-))

The same thing goes for being neighbourly to other pilots - remember
where your prop blast is going. The worst one I had was when a warbird
came in for the airshow at Galveston whilst I was working on the C140 in
our mechanics's hangar. Now I love the sound of a big radial or a
Merlin, but NOT when it's sandblasting myself, the plane, and blowing
the removed cowling into the back of the hangar!

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old July 8th 05, 04:48 PM
Paul kgyy

Well, it depends where you live. Living in Chicago, I seldom hear
planes overhead because of city noise, though I've been significantly
annoyed by aircraft during concerts in the park (I am a pilot).

If I got tired of the city, bought a house in the country for the
quiet, and a group of local fliers decided to take up aerobatics over
my house, I'd be annoyed if it happened regularly.

Old July 8th 05, 05:03 PM
John Gaquin

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message

If I got tired of the city, bought a house in the country for the
quiet,

Anyone who does that has never had the pleasure of listening to tree frogs
or cicadas. The "country" is not quiet, it is just different.