Survey: which business

Old May 24th 04, 05:58 PM
Scott Benger

Default Survey: which business

What kind of business are you in and how do you use your owned
airplane for business as a productivity tool (not just a tax
write-off)? There have been plenty of discussions on this group about
tax issues, but few on the use of an airplane to make a business more
successful.

Me? Unfortuanately my accounting work has no business need for an
airplane (yet?).

Old May 24th 04, 06:26 PM
Jay Honeck

What kind of business are you in and how do you use your owned
airplane for business as a productivity tool (not just a tax
write-off)? There have been plenty of discussions on this group about
tax issues, but few on the use of an airplane to make a business more
successful.

Biz: An aviation-theme, luxury suites, fly-in hotel!

How used: Everywhere we fly we carry promotional materials, signs, flyers,
brochures, discount coupons -- you name it. Every airport and FBO manager
gets hit with "the Message" everywhere we go!

The airplane is just about the only tool I can think of that allows us to
personally contact our target market.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 24th 04, 07:49 PM
Elwood Dowd

Do you have any clients in areas not serviced by the airlines? Could
you go out and get some?

Old May 24th 04, 11:11 PM
Dude

I had no business use for my plane, so I went with a leaseback to make it a
business in itself.

You could use it to go to seminars, and you could use it to meet with
distant clients. You may have to go out of your way to have out of city
clients, but it is worth it.

If still in doubt, get a hold of advocate tax or a similar expert for more
advice.

Old May 25th 04, 07:47 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Scott Benger" wrote in message
What kind of business are you in and how do you use your owned
airplane for business as a productivity tool (not just a tax
write-off)?

Multi-faceted. Commercial real estate development, custom home builders,
equipment refubishers/exporters, commercial property managers.

We fly engineers and project managers to site and workups with
sub-contractors, site surveys. We also fly a sles team out to do
"dog-and-pony" shows.

We stick to places off the beaten track as our competition is MUCH less and
even the national companies still stick primarily to the airlines.

There have been plenty of discussions on this group about
tax issues, but few on the use of an airplane to make a business more
successful.

Our five partners (three full and two limited) were able to expand outside
our two offices (Phoenix and Denver/Colorado Springs) and now we do business
all over the west except California.

Several years ago when I first worked for them in the late 70's and 80's, (I
just went back to work for them after a 13 year hiatus) they were in the
cattle export business and buying herds all over the place but actually
going out and inspecting the herds rather than just handling the paperwork.

Me? Unfortuanately my accounting work has no business need for an
airplane (yet?).

Is your work specialized such that you would not have a lot of local
competition if you could get to remote customers?

Old May 25th 04, 02:07 PM
Smutny

My current business has no need for travel other than annual
conventions. However, I'm looking at puchasing a company that writes
software for municipalities, so I see a definate possibility of using
a plane to visit cities around the state.

One question I have that I don't recall ever seeing discussed here...

When you purchase a plane for business use, can it be a homebuilt?
For instance, a RV-6/7 would be an ideal platform for buzzing around
the state visiting customers. To get similar performance out of a
production airplane I'd be looking at well over twice the cost.

-j-

Old May 25th 04, 02:14 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Smutny" wrote in message

My current business has no need for travel other than annual
conventions. However, I'm looking at puchasing a company that writes
software for municipalities, so I see a definate possibility of using
a plane to visit cities around the state.

How about around the region?

One question I have that I don't recall ever seeing discussed here...

When you purchase a plane for business use, can it be a homebuilt?

It can be whatever you want, though the IRS might look askew at you when you
put stuff on your tax return.

For instance, a RV-6/7 would be an ideal platform for buzzing around
the state visiting customers.

And limiting your business too much.

To get similar performance out of a
production airplane I'd be looking at well over twice the cost.

How's it's reliability? Are you willing to cancel appointments? Critical
ones, such as closure meetings?

Sounds like (I maybe wrong) you're fitting your business to match your
aircraft whims, rather than your aircraft SPECS to match your business
needs.

Old May 25th 04, 02:38 PM
Smutny

On Tue, 25 May 2004 06:14:55 -0700, "Tom Sixkiller"
wrote:

"Smutny" wrote in message
.. .

My current business has no need for travel other than annual
conventions. However, I'm looking at puchasing a company that writes
software for municipalities, so I see a definate possibility of using
a plane to visit cities around the state.

How about around the region?

Yes, there are some neighboring states that have a right structure
that make them possible customers. But I'd be speaking out of turn to
say that they're a definate market without more research.

One question I have that I don't recall ever seeing discussed here...

When you purchase a plane for business use, can it be a homebuilt?

It can be whatever you want, though the IRS might look askew at you when you
put stuff on your tax return.

I suppose the IRS has some documentation one what they want. Anyone
know the document numbers?

For instance, a RV-6/7 would be an ideal platform for buzzing around
the state visiting customers.

And limiting your business too much.

An RV has the performace to easily reach out to the region.

To get similar performance out of a
production airplane I'd be looking at well over twice the cost.

How's it's reliability? Are you willing to cancel appointments? Critical
ones, such as closure meetings?

Sounds like (I maybe wrong) you're fitting your business to match your
aircraft whims, rather than your aircraft SPECS to match your business
needs.

Not really. The business is established and ripe for expansion. Yes
I do have a real soft spot for the RV series. However; to get the
same speed and range, one would have to look at a SR20 or retract
single. Even an older 182RG costs (initial and maintenance) are well
above a RV.

As far as reliablity, spending the time to find a well built example,
and utilizing the expertise of a trusted builder to help with the
purchase, I have no doubt that reliability will meet or exceed a
production single.

I own a homebuilt now, and it is has be the most reliable airplane
I've ever flown.

-j-
Old May 26th 04, 03:48 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Smutny" wrote in message

[...]

Well, I guess there's a first time for everything. :~)

Sounds, though, like you're trying to justify a decision you've already
made.