Most Important Control On My Plane

Old November 27th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Charles Talleyrand

Default Most Important Control On My Plane

Type of plane
I have a VFR Cessna 150.

Most important control
Radio transmit

Least important control
Pitot heat (if you need it, you shouldn't be flying)

Never working control
Parking brake

Scariest control
Landing light (when it suddenly failed during a night landing)

Control I never use
Transponder test

Control in the wrong place
Fuel shutoff (right where me feet can kick it)

Control I fixate about
Mixture

Control that impresses non-pilot passengers
GPS on button

Old November 27th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

Most important control
Radio transmit

Hey, I'm a "Use the radio, dammit!" guy from way back -- but even I
wouldn't rate the transmit button as my "most important control"...

Maybe number three or so...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 28th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Charles Talleyrand

Jay Honeck wrote:
Most important control
Radio transmit

Hey, I'm a "Use the radio, dammit!" guy from way back -- but even I
wouldn't rate the transmit button as my "most important control"...

Maybe number three or so...

I was not thinking of the yoke or pedals as controls. I was thinking
more buttons and knobs. If they count ... then it's the elevator.

-The original poster

Old November 28th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Don Tuite

On 27 Nov 2006 23:22:45 -0800, "Charles Talleyrand"
wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:
Most important control
Radio transmit

Hey, I'm a "Use the radio, dammit!" guy from way back -- but even I
wouldn't rate the transmit button as my "most important control"...

Maybe number three or so...

I was not thinking of the yoke or pedals as controls. I was thinking
more buttons and knobs. If they count ... then it's the elevator.

The little knob on the altimeter gets my vote.

Don

Old November 29th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Barrow

Relief tube!
--
Matt
---------------------

Old November 29th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger[_4_]

wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:
Most important control
Radio transmit

Hey, I'm a "Use the radio, dammit!" guy from way back -- but even I
wouldn't rate the transmit button as my "most important control"...

Maybe number three or so...

I was not thinking of the yoke or pedals as controls. I was thinking
more buttons and knobs. If they count ... then it's the elevator.

Nah. You should be able to fly using ailerons and trim without the
elevator. I had one instructor have me land doing just that. The AOPA
even put out a video on doing it.

I believe certification requires that the elevator not be a single
failure point. Home builts OTOH may not necessarily have that
advantage.

-The original poster

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 29th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Drew Dalgleish

I was not thinking of the yoke or pedals as controls. I was thinking
more buttons and knobs. If they count ... then it's the elevator.

Nah. You should be able to fly using ailerons and trim without the
elevator. I had one instructor have me land doing just that. The AOPA
even put out a video on doing it.

When I was getting my float rating the instructor had me take off
using just trim and rudder
Old November 29th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Roger" wrote in message
On 27 Nov 2006 23:22:45 -0800, "Charles Talleyrand"

I was not thinking of the yoke or pedals as controls. I was thinking
more buttons and knobs. If they count ... then it's the elevator.

Nah. You should be able to fly using ailerons and trim without the
elevator. I had one instructor have me land doing just that. The AOPA
even put out a video on doing it.

I dunno that I would want to have to land, but I did manage to fly about an
hour with just the trim and skooching back and forth between the left and
right seats. (C-120)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com