Great aviation museum

Old June 5th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

Default Great aviation museum

Just spent the day at the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville, OR.
(around an hour SW of Portland)

It is an unbelievable facility, and rivals the NASM in terms of the displays
and collection. The original Spruce Goose is the main feature, but they have
a B-17, B-25, A-26, F-100, F4U, etc. on display. You are able to get a lot
closer to the actual planes than in either of the NASMS.

They have a brand new IMAX theater in an adjacent building, and are
constructing an equally large additional building next door.

Considering it's pretty much in the middle of nowhere except being next door
to the McMinnville airport, it is surprising as to the extent and breadth of
the collection.

Highly recommended for an excellent experience.

Old June 6th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Viperdoc" wrote

Just spent the day at the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinnville, OR.
(around an hour SW of Portland)

Highly recommended for an excellent experience.

Too bad that it is such a long hall from NC, but I hope to get there some
day.

The Spruce Goose is totally interesting to me, for the massive scale, and
for the groundbreaking use of new technology. Add to that that I am a
woodworker, and that fills out the trifecta.

Anyone got a link that has a bunch of good articles (or whatever you want to
call the reporting) on the Spruce Goose, and good pictures to go with it? I
goggled for a long while, and never came up with a good web site. I am
primarily interested on how it was made, and how it works.

I still am of the opinion that it did not have enough power to fly out of
ground effect, and Hughes knew it, once he did his test hop. I sure would
like to see it fly one day, if it could. Doubtful (understatement) that it
will ever happen, (due to the enormous cost) sadly.

Thanks for the report.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 6th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc

They had lots of books and models of the Spruce Goose, including some of the
models used in the Aviator movie.

It's amazing to see such a huge wing and fuselage without any rivets! Also,
those 28 cylinder engines were unbelievable (they have a larger engine
collection and display than the NASM), all up close and easy to inspect.

"Viperdoc" wrote

Old June 6th 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Morgans" wrote in message

The Spruce Goose is totally interesting to me, for the massive scale, and
for the groundbreaking use of new technology. Add to that that I am a
woodworker, and that fills out the trifecta.

Trivia: I overheard an Evergreen volunteer say that the reason you can't
access the cockpit is because it's not handicap-accessible and they don't
want to either get sued or modify the airplane to put in an elevator. Got
to run around (you don't crawl in the Goose) inside before it was put back
together. They asked for volunteers to peel off the white fire-proof
coating since they couldn't pressure wash it or steam it off without
damaging the wood.

Seemed like a great idea. I peeled a little for a minute and only then did
I really start to understand how big the airplane is. It would have been
worth it, but if I'd have started in 1997 by myself in my spare time I'd
still be doing it.

Right now, it has an SR-71 sitting under the right wing. The blackbird
looks tiny.

-c

Old June 6th 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

On 4 Jun 02 I visited the museum and was told I couldn't visit the flight
deck for the same reason. It had just recently been closed to the public.
They said they soon expected to make it accessible. Guess they changed their
minds.

Old June 6th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

"gatt" wrote in message

Trivia: I overheard an Evergreen volunteer say that the reason you can't
access the cockpit is because it's not handicap-accessible and they don't
want to either get sued or modify the airplane to put in an elevator. ...

Putting in all the stuff to make it accessible is EXPENSIVE and most
museums don't have much $$ (if any).

Margy
Old June 6th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sylvain

Margy Natalie wrote:
Putting in all the stuff to make it accessible is EXPENSIVE and most
museums don't have much $$ (if any).

they could easily save the money by removing and stop maintaining all
these female bathrooms; do you actually imagine how EXPENSIVE it is
to accommodate women in public places like museums (with limited funds
and all)? I mean, I'd understand if it were a museum about cooking
or child rearing and the likes, it's not as if they'd be interested
in stuff like aviation or other technical stuff like that.

(do I actually need to specify that the above is sarcasm? do you
actually get the point?)

--Sylvain
Old June 7th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Margy Natalie" wrote in message

Putting in all the stuff to make it accessible is EXPENSIVE and most
museums don't have much $$ (if any).

Yeah, but I wonder if it's necessary. OMSI has the submarine Blueback which
is open to the public, but there's no way that's wheelchair-accessible.
It's a submarine. Similarly, when the warbirds come to town and let people
tour them, I don't see wheelchair ramps, nor could I imagine some old vet
fitting a walker on a B-17 catwalk.

Hmm. Is it really necessary?

-c

Old June 6th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al G[_2_]

"gatt" wrote in message

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

My wife and I visited a couple of weeks ago. Terrific Museum. The SR71
IS small. I'd never seen one up close. The RAM was held on with sheet metal
screws and washers. They have their own vineyard, and produce a very good
wine.

Al G

Old June 7th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Right now, it has an SR-71 sitting under the right wing. The blackbird
looks tiny.

My wife and I visited a couple of weeks ago. Terrific Museum. The SR71
IS small. I'd never seen one up close.

Um, the SR-71 is bigger than a World War II bomber, and almost as big
as a modern airliner.

"Small" it is not.
--
Jay Honeck