This day in 1944: Hunger, frostbite, gangrene

Old December 22nd 03, 03:08 PM
ArtKramr

Default This day in 1944: Hunger, frostbite, gangrene

The 101st was almost out of food and 30 cal. ammo for their Garands. Many froze
to death in their foxholes overnight. It was still snowing. But they never
allowed the Germans to take the critical Batogne crossroads. In the meantime at
our field we had all our 6x6 with snowplows keeping our runway clear, Word
was we would be able to fly tomorrow, the 23rd. We just kept looking at the sky
and thinking of the Battered *******s of Bastogne. We were so close we could
almost touch them, but there was nothing we could do until the sky cleared. We
all hoped for a better tomorrow. Iron men in harms way.

..
Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old December 22nd 03, 03:24 PM
James Linn

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
The 101st was almost out of food and 30 cal. ammo for their Garands. Many

froze
to death in their foxholes overnight. It was still snowing. But they never
allowed the Germans to take the critical Batogne crossroads. In the

meantime at
our field we had all our 6x6 with snowplows keeping our runway clear,

Word
was we would be able to fly tomorrow, the 23rd. We just kept looking at

the sky
and thinking of the Battered *******s of Bastogne. We were so close we

could
almost touch them, but there was nothing we could do until the sky

cleared. We
all hoped for a better tomorrow. Iron men in harms way.

I watched a documentary recently on the 1st Canadian Paras. They had trained
with the 101st in the US(and with the British as well).

They were plugged into the north side of the line at Bastogne, and one of
the interviewed vets complained that they wanted to stage a breakthrough to
Bastogne as they were about 15 miles north, but were told that Patton would
have the honours. As brave as that desire was to help their friends, it was
possibly much wiser to let an amoured division breakthrough than to push a
lightly armed para division in, one that didn't have proper winter
equipment, armour or sufficient arty(gee that sounds like the Canadian armed
forces of today).

James Linn

Old December 22nd 03, 03:31 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: This day in 1944: Hunger, frostbite, gangrene
From: "James Linn"
Date: 12/22/03 7:24 AM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[...]

Sound like if the 1st Paras had broken through they would just be trapped in
Bastogne with the 101st. The better part of valor. (sigh)

Regards,

Old December 22nd 03, 05:07 PM
Tarver Engineering

From: "James Linn"
Date: 12/22/03 7:24 AM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[...]

It was the Germans who were trapped at Bastogne.

Old December 22nd 03, 05:25 PM
ArtKramr

From: "Tarver Engineering"
Date: 12/22/03 9:07 AM Pacific Standard Time

From: "James Linn"

Date: 12/22/03 7:24 AM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[...]

A member of the 101st was quoted as saying, ": Th e Germans have us surrounded.
Poor *******s.

Old December 22nd 03, 05:46 PM
Tarver Engineering

From: "Tarver Engineering"
Date: 12/22/03 9:07 AM Pacific Standard Time

From: "James Linn"

Date: 12/22/03 7:24 AM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[...]

My father claims the heaviest fighting he was involved with was the ten days
after the the 101st was supposedly relieved. The 82nd was there so the
Germans could surrender, as FDR had issued a change of ROE to the 101st; he
was not pleased with the Germans murdering prisoners.

Old December 22nd 03, 05:50 PM
ArtKramr

From: "Bjørnar Bolsøy" am
Date: 12/22/03 9:38 AM Pacific Standard Time
(ArtKramr) wrote in
:
From: "James Linn"

Date: 12/22/03 7:24 AM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

What kind of temperature were those guys facing, and what type
of winter clothing did they have?

Regards...

Temps were well below freezing with high winds and falling snow. Their shoes
were worn out and needed replacing and many lacked overcoats and froze to death
overnight in their foxholes. The only food was K rations and not much of that.
They were now very low on ammo for their rifles. Unless they were re-supplied
fast, the end would be near.The sky was socked in and nothing could fly. Their
situation was desparate. But surrender was never a consideration. Who knows how
things would have turned out if there was a lesser unit than the 101st. in
Bastogne. Iron men in harms way.

Old December 22nd 03, 08:01 PM
ArtKramr

From: Joe Osman
Date: 12/22/03 11:31 AM Pacific Standard Time
"Bjørnar Bolsøy" wrote:

(ArtKramr) wrote in
:
From: "James Linn"

Date: 12/22/03 7:24 AM Pacific Standard Time

[...]

+
The winter of 1944 was the worst in 50 years in Europe.

Joe

Exactly. Iwas never so cold in my life and shiver when I just think of it.