Boston to Roanoke to Nashville

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 19th 03, 03:17 AM
Rob

George wrote:
Marc wrote:
.. fly down the NJ coast, perhaps stop at Cape May

There's nothing at the airport, but it's a short cab ride to town. Lots of nice
Victorian buildings there. Skip it if the weather's bad.

Why the heck is this airport so dead. I live in Arizona but I have
family ties out at the Jersey Shore. Last time I was out there, a
little over a year ago, I was a brand new private pilot - literally
days, maybe a week. I thought I'd run down to the FBO at WWD and get
checked out in a 172 and finally see the seashore in style. Boy was I
surprised to find pretty much nothing happening at the airport except
weeds growing. There's a "museum" there, which was a large hangar
thrown wide open basically with a coffee can for donations by the
door. A restaurant, if you want to call it that, consisting of a
single-wide trailer on blocks that was "open" from I think 11 to 11:15
on Tuesdays. I found one official looking gentleman standing in some
sort of radio hut (it's a non-towered field, the nearest FSS is miles
away at Millville I think) who told me where to find the FBO. There I
met a nice guy named Tom, an A & P, and had fun chatting with him
about lots of airplane stuff but in the end he was there working for
"the man", who wasn't around, and who wasn't into paying for insurance
and then I'd have to have a CFI around to give checkouts and bla bla
blah...

Long story short, I still haven't seen the cape and the beach from the
air. I would think an airport at the south Jersey Shore, particularly
in the summertime, would be teeming with people.

Rob