preparing for commercial oral and practical

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 15th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default preparing for commercial oral and practical

Mark T. Dame wrote:
For both my private and commercial rides I was required to do a W&B for
takeoff and landing fuel loads. Additionally, for my commercial ride, I
had to account for the gear position, as Matt said, giving you four
different configurations.

This was another point of emphasis for my DE. Different examiners have
different favorite topics. For the purpose of the original question, my
suggestion stands.

I'm not questioning your experience, just relaying mine.

My private and instrument rides were with a retired USAF type popularly locally
known as Colonel Goddammit. I also did some of my single and multi 135
checkrides with him. He had his quirks to be sure and God help you if you
attracted his attention. First his fingers would start tapping his legs, faster
and faster until finally the blast would come, blistering the side of your face.
You'd be deaf in one ear and your hair would look like you'd been riding a
motorcycle... sideways. Sometimes I'd **** up intentionally just to get it over
with.

My commercial checkride was with a more mellow character who was a DE, former
chief pilot for a commuter, and current chief pilot for a high priced charter
outfit.

Multiengine checkride was with a similar type associated with one of those
weekend multi schools.

Later 135 rides were with an airline captain who owned a courier service on the
side and with a longtime freight dog chief pilot.

I never had to do W&B in more than one configuration my entire flying career.
Frankly, until I read the OP's note a couple of days ago, I'd never heard of
this being done. Now it's my turn to say: I'm not doubting your experience;
it's just very different from mine. Could it be this is one of those quirks
courtesy of somebody at your local FSDO who focuses on this as a way to trip
people up?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Oral exam place and questions Mxsmanic Piloting 34 April 18th 07 06:12 PM
Commercial rating: complex aircraft required aircraft for practical test? Marc J. Zeitlin Piloting 22 November 24th 05 04:11 AM
Oral Exam Prep -- recommendations and recollections Nicholas Kliewer Instrument Flight Rules 0 November 15th 04 05:00 PM
Private Pilot Oral Pete Piloting 9 December 2nd 03 05:41 PM
CPL/IR/MULTI ORAL Ian Leslie Piloting 2 July 11th 03 09:32 PM