Keep your hand off the release handle during aero tows!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 4th 13, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Keep your hand off the release handle during aero tows!

I have seen several videos on youtube lately where the glider pilot holds the tow release handle during all parts tow. I've been told it is taught this way by some in the UK. Sorry to pick on you folks on the other side of the pond as I love your country and can't wait to come over and glide with you in the next few years.

It seems to me that holding the handle during aero tow is a recipe for disaster eventually.

We have all hit big bumps and turbulence down low on tow. Why risk accidentally pulling the release at 50ft or 100ft in the air? If you are saying it is so that you can immediately pull the handle if something goes bad on tow, it might not be a good enough reason due to the risks of a accidental release. Keep your hand on your knee or the flaps handle right next to the release and I bet you can pull it just as quickly and you don't have to worry about messing up a perfectly good tow down low. Am I missing something here?

Your thoughts? This just seems like a big safety mistake and I would hate for people who see these videos and then think it is the right and correct thing to do.

Have fun and fly safe,
Bruno - B4
www.youtube.com/bviv