A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

OLC Scoring question

Old November 10th 19, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default OLC Scoring question

For those that know the finer points..
Question.
I understand to get maximum extra triangle points at the end of your flight you want to cross your release point, or Close Your Triangle.
On my Oudie I have my OLC scored flight displayed with a yellow line, so I can see it in all the other clutter and information displayed.
This summer while flying out of Salida I released and then flew to the clouds about 12 miles south to get to base, then I turned north for my first leg. My Yellow OLC scoring track line started where I turned north.
When I finished my day I flew through the start of this line. Is this where I should have "Closed My Triangle" Or should I have Closed My Triangle where I released from Tow? Where I released from tow that day would have been hard to pinpoint exactly.
So what is it? Start of scored flight or tow release point?
And how close to I need to be to the correct point vertically and horizontally?
Thanks in advance.
Old November 10th 19, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711
external usenet poster

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 3:05:46 PM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Question.
I understand to get maximum extra triangle points at the end of your flight you want to cross your release point, or Close Your Triangle.
On my Oudie I have my OLC scored flight displayed with a yellow line, so I can see it in all the other clutter and information displayed.
This summer while flying out of Salida I released and then flew to the clouds about 12 miles south to get to base, then I turned north for my first leg. My Yellow OLC scoring track line started where I turned north.
When I finished my day I flew through the start of this line. Is this where I should have "Closed My Triangle" Or should I have Closed My Triangle where I released from Tow? Where I released from tow that day would have been hard to pinpoint exactly.
Thanks in advance.

4.3.2 FAI OLC Course (based on the FAI)

If possible, three turn points are chosen on the recorded, closed flight path such that they define an FAI triangle with the greatest possible circumference, whereby

- the shortest leg must be at least 28% of the FAI distance
- if the FAI distance is 500 km or more, the shortest leg must be at least 25% and the longest leg at most 45% of the FAI distance.

The departure point can be between two turn points of the triangle. The flight path is considered to be closed if the finish point is within 1 km of the start point, and the departure altitude is not more that 1000 m above the finish altitude. (Tip: If an FAI triangle is planned, a departure point should be defined before the flight, which can then be approached on the return flight.)

Link to the rules...https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....overview/b2_en

Best. Tom #711.
Old November 10th 19, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Nick-
I always try to close the triangle at my release point. The OLC scoring algorithm then has the most data points to calculate maximum triangle size. Your southward trip to the clouds would be included in the flight, so the extra leg PROBABLY would not have made any difference. I have tried to "out think" the OLC calculation by using SeeYou to pick other points that might exceed the OLC measurement, but I have NEVER been successful at coming up with a longer distance or larger triangle. As Tom noted above, the finish point must be within 1 km horizontally and no lower than 1 km below the start altitude. Unless you are regularly towing to the Moon, it is hard to finish 1000 m below release altitude. I try to make a mental note when I release and end my flight very near to that point. So far, it has worked for me.

Old November 11th 19, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Nick, Your oudie will be able to record bread crumb track marks. Using these the point where you get off tow and make first turn in lift is very clearly defined. When you get back from the triangle just fly to the bread crumbs marking your first thermal. As the rules say, within 1 km up and sideways and you are done.
Not closing the triangle sucks. Do not ask how I know this.
H

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 5:05:46 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Question.
Thanks in advance.

Old November 12th 19, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Gibbons[_2_]
external usenet poster

If you are using the Oudie, one easy way to help in closing the
triangle is to use the "GOTO" button on the lower horizontal menu bar
(its the D with an arrow through it, in middle of the lower bar).

One of the options for a ""goto" is on the upper right of the GOTO
page menu; "Soaring begin". Select this and you will be redirected to
the point where SeeYou believes you got off tow.

Your normal Nav Boxes will then guide you to the point where SeeYou
believes you released from tow.

Note, this will not work if you later use a motor, since the Oudie
does not have an engine noise sensor that woud allow it to shift the
"soaring begin" location.

Bob

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 17:38:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Nick, Your oudie will be able to record bread crumb track marks. Using these the
point where you get off tow and make first turn in lift is very clearly defined.
When you get back from the triangle just fly to the bread crumbs marking your
first thermal. As the rules say, within 1 km up and sideways and you are done.
Not closing the triangle sucks. Do not ask how I know this.
H

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 5:05:46 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Question.
I understand to get maximum extra triangle points at the end of your flight you

want to cross your release point, or Close Your Triangle.
On my Oudie I have my OLC scored flight displayed with a yellow line, so I can

see it in all the other clutter and information displayed.
This summer while flying out of Salida I released and then flew to the clouds

about 12 miles south to get to base, then I turned north for my first leg. My
Yellow OLC scoring track line started where I turned north.
When I finished my day I flew through the start of this line. Is this where

I should have "Closed My Triangle" Or should I have Closed My Triangle where
I released from Tow? Where I released from tow that day would have been
hard to pinpoint exactly.
Thanks in advance.

Old November 12th 19, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]
external usenet poster

Hey Boys
Thanks for all the good beta on my question!
I appreciate it very much
T
Old November 12th 19, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

Nick,
Couple more tips:
1- OLC miss recognize start point at about 30% of the time. I’ve seen many olc flights getting scored from takeoff. This can happen from multiple reasons, including going through sink in tow, or tow plane make a circle tight enough that OLC believe you released, or whenever OLC is not able to recognize your release it will pick your takeoff. So first and foremost always check that your start is indeed your release, and if not, change the soaring start time to release time. I wouldn’t be surprised if SeeYou mobile make the same errors, so you can’t completely trust the start point.
2- if you took a tow and then released and glided for some distance to the clouds, you should be able to recognize your release by the breadcrumb color. I believe all flight computers have the option to color your breadcrumbs based on climb rate. Lift is typically red and sink is blue so you can tell where you released.

Ramy