A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Flying IFR in a glider

Old June 28th 20, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Flying IFR in a glider

Charles Longley wrote on 6/27/2020 9:53 PM:
Yeah I don’t see any rule against it. I might set up my glider for IFR. Seems like the chances to go above 180 are usually happenstance without a wave window close by.

A major feature is the ability to go cross-country, not possible within the
confines of a wave window. At the time I got mine, there was no IFR requirement
for the pilot or the glider, but it did require a transponder; possibly, they'd
require ADSB now, but I'm guessing.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1

Old June 28th 20, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

No problem I am putting both in this fall. I’ll probably look at some time of artificial horizon as well.

You down in Nephi Eric? We’re having fun in Twisp!
Old June 28th 20, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Charlie,

Now that activity in the Methow Valley is becoming more common, we should totally negotiate a new wave window for that area. The SGC has a number of windows pre-defined across the cascades. Seems like it would be a good idea to add one up north in the Twisp area as well.

Then others can partake in the experience as well and not need IFR equipment or ratings.

-Kevin
Old June 29th 20, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 9:54:07 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
I am in Twisp, WA right now. Some of my friends got up into a wave and easily made it to 18,000’. There is no wave window right close by.
My question is can someone in a glider get an IFR clearance to go above 180? Assuming they have an Instrument rating and the glider is appropriately equipped.

Charles:
There are a couple of options.
The options are all dependent on the pilot choice and certificate, the equipment in the glider, recent experience and LOAs, or not.

For the simplest, if the pilot and machine are equipped and current, and you know for what you ask, with correct phraseology, ATC may give you lots of freedom.
Keyword - MAY. Or may not. It's their discretion.
And once you are "with them", you have to comply, or play the 'unable' card,
or communicate well and negotiate well, and succeed.
(Success in my book means no enforcement action.)

There is wave flying involving being mostly stationary and climbing.
That's the common view and use of "Wave Window" LOAs.
The LOA creates a chimney of airspace and all other IFR Class A traffic
is typically separated from that airspace. All users inside that chimney are VMC providing their own separation. The equipment, communications and protocol are all dependent on that particular LOA. Mode C or not, Radio or not, etc.

Then there is XC in wave in Class A.
This is a whole additional layer of complexity.
There are ATC geographic and radio handoff considerations, each ATC facility may have a different idea of what LOA they will create with you. It is hugely dependent on your topography and the neighborhood IFR traffic.

Henry Combs wanted to set the US straight distance record (and distance to Goal) by beginning in Sierra Wave and transitioning easterly with the front, AZ mountains, NM mountains, into central states and thermalling to an eventual landing. Despite LOAs, confirming by phone on ground to each ATC along the way, he got the door slammed on his flights several times, by a controller unwilling to cooperate with a legal user.
(You wanna do what? I don't have to give you that.)

We created segmented blocks up the Sierras, from Cal City to BIH, to have stepping stones that allow ATC to route that IFR traffic around the glider, without alienating the airliners. When the military is hot, we have a different LOA to allow joint use, accepting the risk of being inhaled by a jet, in a Restricted Area. Just north of BIH, the airspace is assigned to Oakland Center.

Based on the years of good history (read that as ZERO glider pilot screwups) with Joshua Approach, Tito had asked Oakland Center for an LOA for Class A access for record pursuits. That LOA was granted. The LOA permits
Mode C, radio equipped, Instrument rated pilots to fly VMC in Class A on a
block altitude assignment. ATC can see the traffic, keep IFR machinery from touching VMC gliders.

This procedure requires more education on the part of the typical recreational soaring pilot than they are sometimes willing to invest. I have helped with LOAs for different locations, and situations. I have trained many pilots for using the Joshua Approach letters I hold, and many other pilots have gone on to ask for a duplicate individual LOA based on that history.

https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....049937#comment

I just hope that the glider pilots who seek this relationship with ATC help keep the record of flight safety and compliance just as clean. I want this privilege to continue for another 40 years. The views are magnificent. And really, there isn't that much traffic up there.....

Anybody watching 'AC' flying on the SSA tracker today? Another speed record falling to the Nixus (while flying on these Caracole LOAs I am mentioning).
It isn't really a Ventus doing that track today!

Can you do IFR clearances in a glider? Yes. Just do them correctly.
Sometimes lives depend on that.

Fly safely.

Cindy Brickner
SSA Airspace Committee

writercindyb at the G-really big mail .com

Old June 29th 20, 04:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]
external usenet poster

Charles Longley wrote on 6/28/2020 10:35 AM:
No problem I am putting both in this fall. I’ll probably look at some time of artificial horizon as well.

You down in Nephi Eric? We’re having fun in Twisp!

I and several other pilots were at Richfield, UT - check the OLC.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us" to email me)
- "A Guide to Self-Launching Sailplane Operation"
https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ad-the-guide-1
Old June 29th 20, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

Ahh I see that now. Very nice flight!
Old June 29th 20, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley
external usenet poster

Cindy,

Thanks for the info. I am a professional pilot and won’t mess it up for others.

Charlie
Old June 29th 20, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru
external usenet poster

I had the FAA come after me after a flight to 24K over Mt. Hood in a wave window. I was completely legal, but they called me up and said I wasn't, and that I had to prove to them that I was legal. I said that's not the way it works. I'm innocent until proven guilty. They were completely clueless.. It went on for months. I could not believe they didn't know their own regulations and I had to give them several hints as to where they needed to look to see how I was right and they were WRONG! They never apologized or anything....

Boggs