A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

liability insurance

Old July 4th 20, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default liability insurance

Well that explains that.Â* Had you been more clear in your initial post,
I wouldn't have had any questions other than your condescending approach
to people who are older than you are.Â* Maybe you'll get there, too, one day.

On 7/3/2020 5:22 AM, wrote:
How can I say that he had tunnel vision if he didn't say it over the radio?"
-He told me while I was visiting him at the rehabilitation center."
"I have many problems with your statement."
- Take your time and sound out the big words. It's important that we take care of our most senior members and help them transition from flying when it's no longer safe for them to fly.
Take care.

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 4th 20, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

One of the undeniable facts of life is that if we live long enough we will die of something. I will be 70 in 10 days, my plan is to do a 7 mile power walk in the hot Florida sun at an 18 minute per mile pace. Except for a perennial need to lose 15 pounds, a few hiccups and a few injuries I've managed to remain healthy. My endurance and heat tolerance is in my opinion, quite good. My dad died at 86, my mom at 92, it's all in our genes folks.

I flew with a guy in his early 90s as a safety pilot in his son's 182, guy was magnificent. Kinda like the "Jan D." of the power world. He flew B29s in WW2 and later Buffs during Vietnam. He retired and went to law school, kept his brain active, a very important thing to do.

Each day we live we get closer to death. Nothing can be done about that but staying physically active and mentally active are of paramount importance.. There are things that we can't avoid, genetic anomalies being one. I've seen teen agers come into my lab for a Nuclear Cardiac study, I've seen every age group imaginable. I've seen brain rumors in children and 80 year olds, it's gonna get ya, it's just a matter of time.

As a tow pilot I was advised by the lawyer cadre of my family (which included an Aviation attorney) to buy some form of insurance that would protect ME. Sure, the glider port had insurance but chances are it did not include employees. IF you have attachable assets, deep pockets and something happens you might find yourself on the hook. Lawyers are sneaky *******s and will investigate you to see what they can get. I never found such a policy although it appears something is available to instructors. I even asked on this forum and no one was aware of such a policy. Are any tow pilots out there insured for liability? My blanket policy does not cover such activities.

Fly safe folks, the life you save may be yours...or the tow pilots.

Walt Connelly
Former Tow Pilot
Now Happy Helicopter Pilot

Old July 7th 20, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Bick (DY)
external usenet poster

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 7:00:04 AM UTC-6, Morris Carter wrote:
Any ideas on liability insurance for older pilots that can't get glider
insurance.

Since none of the responses I'm reading address your question, I'll take a stab at one possibility. It appears you aren't an SSA member. Have you contacted Costello and asked about insurability under the SSA group insurance program? You must be an SSA member to qualify, but I've found it more than worth it. I am past mid-70s and have no issues for being insured for liability or hull insurance under the group program. I recently (last month) added another motorglider, no questions asked other than for how much hull and liability. I currently have a few hundred thou under insurance, including liability. There have been no questions regarding age (but they do know what it is).
'
Old July 7th 20, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LOV2AV8
external usenet poster

I had a partner in an LS8 that was 79 when we purchased it. We were told by Costello that if he was already 80 he would be uninsurable but since he was 79 they could but if he cancelled he would be unable to renew.

Randy "AV8"
Old July 9th 20, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 7:48:10 AM UTC-7, LOV2AV8 wrote:
I had a partner in an LS8 that was 79 when we purchased it. We were told by Costello that if he was already 80 he would be uninsurable but since he was 79 they could but if he cancelled he would be unable to renew.

Randy "AV8"

There's no FAR that requires insurance. Or any State law as far as I know. It's not clear to me that insurance is 'worth it'. I've had glider insurance for 40 years and never made a claim. Maybe a good lawyer could protect assets, eg by transfer to children? And I believe retirement funds (like 401Ks) are immune from lawsuits.
Old July 9th 20, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Short answer is yes and know! If you transfer assets to children then wreck said glider, you have just given any plaintiff two sources of recovery. I for one am happy to have the group plan that that I too have never had a claim against.
Old July 9th 20, 11:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Short answer is yes and know. Asset protection works but you must know what you are doing. The insurance is cheaper.