New SkySight Route Color meanings

Old June 5th 21, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
G M

Default New SkySight Route Color meanings

I noticed that SkySight has changed its Route Forecast Section and gives auto suggested routes but with different color schemes: red, green and yellow (or close enough). Does anyone know what these color codes represents, suggested distance for difference sailplane classes perhaps? I searched and could not find anything. I believe the potential distance section is for an 18 meter ventus.

Thanks in advance
Old June 6th 21, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter[_2_]

On Sunday, 6 June 2021 at 4:41:10 am UTC+10, G M wrote:
I noticed that SkySight has changed its Route Forecast Section and gives auto suggested routes but with different color schemes: red, green and yellow (or close enough). Does anyone know what these color codes represents, suggested distance for difference sailplane classes perhaps? I searched and could not find anything. I believe the potential distance section is for an 18 meter ventus.

Thanks in advance

It's meant to be a proxy for difficulty.
Red - Longer and more complex
Green - Shorter and easier

All of the calculations in the program, including PFD & Route forecast vary according to the performance/pilot factor you set in Settings - Account. The default is 100.
Old June 6th 21, 12:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
G M

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 12:54:59 AM UTC-4, Matthew Scutter wrote:
On Sunday, 6 June 2021 at 4:41:10 am UTC+10, G M wrote:
I noticed that SkySight has changed its Route Forecast Section and gives auto suggested routes but with different color schemes: red, green and yellow (or close enough). Does anyone know what these color codes represents, suggested distance for difference sailplane classes perhaps? I searched and could not find anything. I believe the potential distance section is for an 18 meter ventus.

Thanks in advance

It's meant to be a proxy for difficulty.
Red - Longer and more complex
Green - Shorter and easier

All of the calculations in the program, including PFD & Route forecast vary according to the performance/pilot factor you set in Settings - Account.. The default is 100.

Thanks - big help, it is a great new feature
Old June 7th 21, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Sunday, June 6, 2021 at 5:44:59 AM UTC-6, G M wrote:
[...]

Does the route forecast suggestions factor in other forms of lift like ridge lift and convergence as well, or is it just based on thermal lift predictions?
Old June 8th 21, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter

On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 2:02:36 AM UTC+10, wrote:
[...]

Yes, with some caveats. It will only use a ridge or a convergence as a speed boost on a thermal flight - it will be unlikely to route find in zero-thermal conditions, it lacks the creativity required. It also requires the ridge to be more significant than say, most ridges in the East Coast USA, which are on the limits of what models can resolve.

If you see the lift on the XC Speed chart, that's the same data the route finder is using.

See an example at: https://i.imgur.com/Yk6qo5e.png
Old June 8th 21, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Task Week

I am still super confused on how to see the color codes for route suggestions. When I go to route it does not automatically generate a route and when I select one there is no color coding?

Thanks,
Tony

Old June 8th 21, 04:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter[_2_]

On Tuesday, 8 June 2021 at 1:25:44 pm UTC+10, Task Week wrote:
I am still super confused on how to see the color codes for route suggestions. When I go to route it does not automatically generate a route and when I select one there is no color coding?

Thanks,
Tony

1) Click "Route Forecast"
2) Click once on the map to pick a start point
3) Wait for the spinning circle to finish thinking - if it's 8am and lots of people are checking the forecast it should be in memory and solve the tasks almost instantly. If you click back 4 days and pick South America as your region, you could be waiting 20 seconds for us to load gigabytes out of cold storage and calculate everything for you.
4) See the suggested tasks including colours: https://i.imgur.com/pYiTVwH.png . Mousing over them will highlight the relevant route on the map.
5) If you like one of the generated tasks, click on it and it'll load it. If you don't like the generated tasks, continue drawing your own task.

This will be the subject of an upcoming video and be added to the manual shortly.
Old June 9th 21, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

When I opened Skysight this morning the language switched to French.
Where can I change it back to English?
I looked in settings and on my Skysight that only holds regions
Thank in advance
Nick
Old June 9th 21, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, June 9, 2021 at 10:36:37 AM UTC-4, wrote:
When I opened Skysight this morning the language switched to French.
Where can I change it back to English?
I looked in settings and on my Skysight that only holds regions
Thank in advance
Nick

Upper right, settings.
Then, account.
Then, upper right again, a drop-down list.

is skysight down? Matt Herron Jr. Soaring 5 May 17th 21 03:38 PM
New Skysight Color Dan Marotta Soaring 6 June 29th 19 02:48 PM
New SkySight color scheme [email protected] Soaring 16 October 27th 18 07:22 PM
Skysight Tom Kelley #711 Soaring 0 April 5th 17 07:09 PM
Cambridge 302 Sounds and Meanings? ContestID67 Soaring 7 April 26th 06 06:11 PM