Garmin 296 worth the money?

Old June 18th 04, 11:43 PM
Jeremy Lew

"smackey" wrote in message
m...
"Jeremy Lew" wrote in message

What upcoming model from Lowrance? Please refer me to some info on that.

Steve M

It's the Airmap 2000c, google it for a bunch of pilot shop listings.
Avionics West is still listing it as "XM Radio Compatible for Future
Real-Time Weather Download"

Old June 19th 04, 12:43 AM
Hankal

Terrain & obstacles!!!!
L-Ion battery that recharges from aircraft power
"Panel" page
Flight recorder page & Flightbook software
High def. display
Faster processor
Street nav

My AvMap does all that and more. Kidding.
However I love the big screen
Old June 20th 04, 03:07 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Try 256-319-9679 Huntsville, AL tech support.

I have never heard of the port to Lowrance. All I got from the AOPA show
meeting with the owner was the G1000 project and then the GNS530's. I use
the product on a laptop and NavAero TPad800.

$50/mth is fair compared to the price of the other products that use sat
phones & charge per download. I turn this thing on & get all the
weather/winds/lightning/METAR/TAF/Fronts/ on & on....

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

take off my shoes to reply

Old June 21st 04, 10:26 PM
Martin Kosina

I turn this thing on & get all the
weather/winds/lightning/METAR/TAF/Fronts/ on & on....

Does the "on & on" include PIREPs ? I could never get a straight
answer on that from Wxworx...
Old June 22nd 04, 02:57 AM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

No PIREPs at this time. I understand they ARE working on it. It's a matter
of them being made available in a form they can readily use.

I know you can get PIREPS on line from
http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/pireps/
but the format isn't transferable at this time. (What I am told.)

To me, the real 'straight answer' problem comes from 'sales' saying yes and
'IT' i.e. programmers, having to make it so. I made my living doing
software for others for a few years. I learned the truth in the phrase "Do
you know how to tell when a salesperson is lying? When their mouth is
moving."

Having said that, I have had good results from calling Huntsville and
getting help from Lyle.
--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

Old June 22nd 04, 09:03 AM
Martin Kosina

"Victor J. Osborne, Jr." wrote in message ...
No PIREPs at this time. I understand they ARE working on it. It's a matter
of them being made available in a form they can readily use.

I know you can get PIREPS on line from
http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/pireps/
but the format isn't transferable at this time. (What I am told.)

Having said that, I have had good results from calling Huntsville and
getting help from Lyle.

OK, good deal, sounds like they have a good product in the works. I
fly in the Pacific NW and icing (and, perhaps more importantly,
tops/layer) pireps are quite important to the overall picture, that's
why the curiosity.

Thanks for the note, look forward to more XM-capable hardware. If
someone could cram the receiver (or even just display capability) into
a $2K handheld unit, that would be awesome.