Navman 3450

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 10th 05, 02:20 PM
John Scott

I've been using an iPAQ 3850 for both Flight Computer and Car Navigation. I
use a PCMCIA jacket and CF GPS unit. The jacket provides additional battery
power. Since I currently only fly club ships, I don't connect the iPAQ to
the 12v power in the plane. I get 3+ hours of continually on time. I don't
how long it will last as I have never run out of battery. I use a RAM mount
with suction cup for the iPAQ in the plane - again it has held on the
canopy for 3+ hours. I use another RAM mount in the Car, this time with a
ball fastened to the dash. It holds the iPAQ near the steering wheel where
it is easy to glance at it.

I had been using a Teletype that I purchased a number of years ago. It
worked okay, but it's TTFF was not great. I recently purchased a Haicom
303MMF which uses a SiRF chipset and has an internal battery to retain last
position information. On a cold start the TTFF appears to always be less
than a minute.

I use GPS_Log for flight software. I'm looking at SeeYou Mobile. GPS_LOG
has worked with both receivers. On the 3850, the received shows up as COM5.
The specific COM port varies by iPAQ model.

After giving up on Delorme Street Atlas for Car Navigation. The Teletype
originally came with World Navigator. I didn't care for it much. The newer
version looks muc improved, but it will only work with Teletype GPS
receiveers. I looked at Tom-Tom, but they also warn about not being
reliable with CF GPS receivers. I chose iGuidance from iNAV. So far, I've
been pleased with it. If you go off route, it immediately calculates a new
route and only requests a U-Turn if there is no alternative. It has a 3-D
display mode. It allows you to insert a destination in Lat/Long easily and
immediately plots a route from the current location (other alternatives
available). Ease of use with respect to plotting a route to a Lat/Long was
important, since the primary purpose will be for my wife to quickly get a
route to come find me when I land out.

John Scott

NAVMAN GPS Mike Hostage Soaring 8 May 25th 05 11:50 AM
NAVMAN GPS [email protected] Soaring 0 April 7th 05 09:19 PM
Navman PiN Pocket PC for glider usage [email protected] Soaring 1 February 8th 05 12:17 AM
Question about GNII Joseph L. Hyde Soaring 5 December 20th 04 06:10 PM