Narrow Runways

Old May 11th 05, 02:35 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
What's the narrowest runway you've ever used? At what runway width are
you comfortable?

I remember working a Cal Air A9 one sunny day a long time ago and putting it
down on a two lane country road that had telephone poles lined up nicely on
each side. Does that count ? :-)
Dudley Henriques

Old May 11th 05, 02:58 PM

Dudley,

Where did you fly CallAirs?

I worked ground crew and then flew them in central Iowa. We almost
invariably flew off of gravel roads, however, we tried to avoid roads
that had power poles.

One of the pilots I crewed for landed one on a single lane road, with
slightly built up edges, that was only about a foot wider than his
landing gear. I was 16 and had just soloed. I couldn't believe how
accurately that guy could fly and land that airplane. The A-9 was one
of the nicest ground handling tailwheel airplanes I ever flew, but I'd
have to be very, very current before I'd try something as narrow as he
did that day.

All the best,
Rick

Old May 11th 05, 03:25 PM
Dudley Henriques

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dudley,

Where did you fly CallAirs?

I worked ground crew and then flew them in central Iowa. We almost
invariably flew off of gravel roads, however, we tried to avoid roads
that had power poles.

One of the pilots I crewed for landed one on a single lane road, with
slightly built up edges, that was only about a foot wider than his
landing gear. I was 16 and had just soloed. I couldn't believe how
accurately that guy could fly and land that airplane. The A-9 was one
of the nicest ground handling tailwheel airplanes I ever flew, but I'd
have to be very, very current before I'd try something as narrow as he
did that day.

All the best,
Rick

A fellow I knew in Maryland had a small Ag operation. He had a contract with
a large co-op frozen food supplier doing fields in Maryland and Delaware;
and did some mosquito work on the canal near us. He had 2 airplanes; the
Calair and a Pawnee. I just helped him out on a few occasions. I got an Ag
cert and sometimes acted as his spare pilot when he had a large field to do.
I liked the CalAir; stable and easy to handle. Actually, the Pawnee wasn't
all that bad either.
I've ferried Agcats and Agwagons on a few occasions for non ag reasons, but
never worked these airplanes.
Dudley

Old May 11th 05, 03:27 PM

Kyle,

The paved runway at Dodge Field, (now closed) north of Des Moines,
Iowa, was 14 x 2,500 feet. The airport was quite busy, with the
state's largest Cessna dealer being based there for some years. A 400
series Cessna would straddle the runway, with the nosewheel on
centerline, the mains would be in the grass on either side. There was
a wide grass area to the west of the runway that people often used, but
it was slightly lower and not usable in winter or when things were
soggy. The airport was built in World War I (that's I, not II) to
support the adjacent large military post, Camp Dodge. It was
originally a square mile; eventually four grass runways were laid out.
It went into civilian hands at some point and much of the land was sold
off, leaving the one, north-south runway. The Army wanted it paved and
cut a deal to split the cost with the FBO. The Army came in and laid a
14 x 2,500 foot strip of asphalt. The FBO reneged on the deal. He
simply painted a dashed line down the centerline. The airport closed
in the late '70s or early '80s and is now a part of Pioneer Hybrid's
large agricultural holdings. Some of the hangars are still standing.
I think the runway is now a driveway into the complex.

I soloed a number of students on that runway. They started out getting
used to a very narrow runway and to them it was normal. I was very
cautious about letting them out in crosswinds.

If you ever have the chance to fly in the country of Belize, you'll
find a number of extremely narrow runways, some barely wider than your
landing gear, including some that are too narrow to turn around on,
even by locking one main wheel and pivoting, you have to taxi clear to
the end to turn around. At Placencia, the runway is about two feet
wider than the gear of the Cessna 208s that serve it. For half the
runway length there is water on both sides. It does get your
attention. A number of the runways also have potholes, so you have to
select your touchdown site and rollout path pretty carefully. In
giving airport checkouts to some pilots from the U.S. in Cessna 185s,
206s and 337s, most spent a bit of time being amazed at how narrow the
runways were. It usually only took about two landings before they
adjusted and did fine.

Belize City Municipal (not International) is not as wide as the
wingspan of a Cessna 206 although you can turn around on it, but it's
only 1,700 feet long and has water on one side as well as at each end.
it is considered poor form to miss the midfield turnoff on landing as
it's a busy airport. One of the best things about the airport is that
there is a small restaurant/bar right at the departure end of runway 12
(prevailing wind runway). You can sit outside, under a thatched
umbrella, drinking cold beers and be right there as heavily loaded
Cessna 207s, 208s and Gippsland Airvans use almost every bit of the
runway getting airborne. It's a pleasant way to spend a few hours.
The Belizean pilots are very, very good.

All the best,
Rick

Old May 11th 05, 03:42 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I think 35' was the narrowest. My comfort level depends on the wind,

etc.
In calm conditions, I'd be comfortable with 10'.

Methinks you exaggerate a tad?

:-)

What's the wheelbase of your plane?

Me agrees! The wheel span of mine is (I think) 11' 4".

Old May 11th 05, 03:44 PM
Matt Barrow

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
Kyle Boatright wrote:
What's the narrowest runway you've ever used? At what runway width are

you
comfortable? Among other things, I had an interesting experience

yesterday
with a runway that was far narrower than any I'd used before...

Liberty, NC, 2A5 Runway 2/20
Dimensions: 3800 x 40 ft. / 1158 x 12 m
http://www.airnav.com/airport/2A5

The Mooney's wingspan is 36' 1".

There are no noticable obstructions along the sides of the runway, so I

didn't
have any heartburn about taxiing / takeoff / landing. It definitely is a

good
place to observe the optical effects of a narrow runway during short

final, though.

My home airport has 150 ft wide runways.

Mine also (150' and 100') and it takes your breath away coming into a
spaghetti farm for a change.

Old May 11th 05, 03:57 PM
Robert M. Gary

15 feet. I was bringing a J-3 home to its new owner and the guy asked
me to bring it to his airfield. It was paved (but cracking) but the
grass around it had grown up onto the runway. Putting a J-3 on a 15
foot wide runway it interesting because you can't see ahead of you (you
fly from the back) I lost sight of the runway just as the wheels
touched. I had to take it on faith that I was still on the runway. Once
I was at taxi speed I could taxi by looking straight down and watching
the wheel.

-Robert

Old May 11th 05, 04:57 PM
Maule Driver

May be a highwing/lowwing thing. My wheelbase is 6'. I'd do 10'.

Again, it's not as hard as it seems when you have to do it.

Weiser KEQY in Houston is 40' which seems narrower. An acquaintance of mine
put his Navajo in there due to poor preflight planning - think he scared
himself. Sold it not long after.

--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 11th 05, 05:01 PM
Toks Desalu

What's the narrowest runway you've ever used? At what runway width are

you
comfortable?

40 feet wide with trees on both ends and one side. The surface is asphalt in
poor condition including cracks with grass growing through, faded runway
markings, and several bumps (as rough as speed bumps).

I have no problem flying into and out of 40 feet wide in cessna 172, even in
15 knots crosswind. For me, I would be more concerned with the surrounding
than the runway width.

Toks Desalu
PP_ASEL
"Dyin' to soar!"

Old May 11th 05, 05:04 PM
Maule Driver

....And Causey aviation operates Citations in and out of there all day and
night.

I wish I had a Mooney, but since I have a Maule I have to go 3 miles east
over to N61's turf to get the juices flowing. Hard to find even with a GPS,
just try a low approach.

"Dave Butler" wrote in message
What's the narrowest runway you've ever used? At what runway width are

you
comfortable? Among other things, I had an interesting experience

yesterday
with a runway that was far narrower than any I'd used before...

Liberty, NC, 2A5 Runway 2/20
Dimensions: 3800 x 40 ft. / 1158 x 12 m
http://www.airnav.com/airport/2A5

The Mooney's wingspan is 36' 1".

There are no noticable obstructions along the sides of the runway, so I

didn't
have any heartburn about taxiing / takeoff / landing. It definitely is a

good
place to observe the optical effects of a narrow runway during short

final, though.

My home airport has 150 ft wide runways.

Dave

Narrow Foil Strips for Ground Plane Dennis Mountains Home Built 22 August 29th 04 01:09 AM
Winds on long runways Casey Wilson Piloting 15 July 17th 04 08:35 AM
Cylinder Wrenches for 0-320A Narrow Deck DAVE Home Built 1 December 31st 03 01:45 PM
Extreme Runways JohnMcGrew Piloting 9 October 25th 03 02:57 PM
fs2002 - increase intensity taxiway and runways' lights? Mark Cherry Simulators 0 September 23rd 03 01:08 AM