Hendricks Crash- NTSB Prelim

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 10th 04, 10:31 PM
C Kingsbury

Default Hendricks Crash- NTSB Prelim

Saw on AvWeb that the preliminary file on the Hendricks King Air crash that
spawned much discussion here has been posted:

http://ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id...04X01760&key=1

For reference, here is the approach plate:

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0411/05648L30.PDF

My take-away:

1. The FAF (BALES) was supposed to be crossed at 2600; they crossed it at
3900
2. They leveled at 2600 "in the vicinity of" the MAP; MDA there was 1340
3. 1 miles past the MAP, they descended again, at least to 1800, after which
altitude readout was lost. At this point they were 3 miles past the airport.
4. Three minutes later they reported missed and were told to climb and
maintain 4400.
5. Terrain was impacted at 2400', with the wings level.

If I read this correctly, it sounds like they (1) confused the FAF and the
MAP and (2) waited way too long to go missed. I am also interested in
hearing more about the missed instructions they received. As I read this,
they continued on the 305 inbound course all the way through. If they were
flying at 100-120kts (typical config for a king air 200?) they would have
been anywhere from 5-9nm from the airport when they reported missed. I
cannot find a terrain map so I don't know what else might be out there, but
it seems that if they had been turned right (as the published missed
specifies) they would have had plenty of obstacle clearance, but again, I
might be missing something.

The plane was equipped with a VFR GPS and no GPWS, according to the report.
Not exactly a gold-plater, it sounds like. Still, a VFR GPS will show you
when you've passed the airport.

-cwk.

Homebuilt Airplane Crash Harry O Home Built 1 November 15th 04 04:40 AM
Crash Big John Home Built 0 September 12th 04 03:48 AM
Homemade plane crash Big John Home Built 9 October 17th 03 06:45 PM