Our son's first flight lesson

Old June 22nd 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Our son's first flight lesson

Scary (impossible?) though it may seem, that little baby that I held
in my arms moments after birth (hell, I cut his umbilical cord!) is
scheduled to take his first flight lesson tomorrow afternoon...

It seems like just yesterday I was changing his diaper, or teaching
him to tie his shoes. And it was just a few days ago that I was
helping him drive a nail for the first time, and showing him how to
throw a baseball.

It's remarkable how quickly the years have flown by. He's really a
young man now, stronger, faster, and smarter than either of his
parents. And with 1500+ hours in the air in GA aircraft, he's
probably more comfortable there than any student in history.

After much searching, we've found the perfect flight instructor for
Joe -- a semi-retired pilot of classic aircraft, with many thousands
of hours doing tail-wheel mountain flying. He's one of the nicest
gentlemen we've ever met, and, along with his wife, has become a close
friend after a year of hanging out on "Movie Nights".

Still, despite all this...I'm terrified. Letting -- no, encouraging
-- my boy to launch himself into the wild blue yonder is weighing
heavily on my soul, and -- as much as I desperately want him to know
the freedom of flight -- this is really scary.

I don't think anyone will be doing much sleeping tonight...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 22nd 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

What are you going to do the first time he says, hey Dad, can I borrow the
plane?

Old June 22nd 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

"Maxwell" wrote:
What are you going to do the first time he says, hey Dad, can
I borrow the plane?

He'll have his license by then. He'll be with an instructor tomorrow.
How are you going to sleep when it's time for his first solo?
Old June 22nd 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
smf

I understand!
Two summers ago my son was 19 and asked to borrow my GlasairII to go down to
Key West. He went and had a great time. He graduated a few weeks ago and
just this week started a new job. He will start in the right seat of a Lear
55.
Oh...I did happen to drive up to the airport for his first Solo. Boy was I
greatful for that lift, thrust concept!
It's nice to have an "inhouse" instructor around.

Steve

"Maxwell" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old June 22nd 07, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

"Maxwell" wrote:
What are you going to do the first time he says, hey Dad, can
I borrow the plane?

He'll have his license by then. He'll be with an instructor tomorrow.
How are you going to sleep when it's time for his first solo?

Even better questions:
Does he go on the insurance policy as a named insured?
How is your annual rate affected?
Old June 22nd 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Even better questions:
Does he go on the insurance policy as a named insured?

Not yet. He's training in a C-150, not Atlas. (I'm crazy, not
stupid...)

How is your annual rate affected?

Won't know till he's done.

All that lost sleep for nothing -- it's storming to beat the band
here, and predicted to continue all day.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 22nd 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Jay Honeck wrote:
Even better questions:
Does he go on the insurance policy as a named insured?

Not yet. He's training in a C-150, not Atlas. (I'm crazy, not
stupid...)

How is your annual rate affected?

Won't know till he's done.

All that lost sleep for nothing -- it's storming to beat the band
here, and predicted to continue all day.

Back in 1980 I was 18 and added to an policy on an Archer. I had a few more
hours than the ~40 year old owner (about 100 total) and it had there was no
increase. At least back then they looked more at expereince than age.

Old June 22nd 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

He's training in a C-150, not Atlas.

How's he going to learn to fly in =that=? When he transitions to the
Atlas, he'll have to fly upside down!

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old June 22nd 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Jose wrote:
He's training in a C-150, not Atlas.

How's he going to learn to fly in =that=? When he transitions to the
Atlas, he'll have to fly upside down!

At least he'll know how to fly a real airplane!! :-)

Matt
Old June 22nd 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 21, 9:58 pm, Jay Honeck wrote:
Scary (impossible?) though it may seem, that little baby that I held
in my arms moments after birth (hell, I cut his umbilical cord!) is
scheduled to take his first flight lesson tomorrow afternoon...

I dream of the day when one (or both) of my sons does the same.
They're 9 and 13, so I have a little time yet...

2nd Lesson Crash Lander Piloting 20 October 2nd 06 10:44 PM
My first lesson Marco Rispoli Aerobatics 3 May 17th 05 08:23 AM
First IFR lesson Gene Whitt Instrument Flight Rules 5 December 16th 04 12:47 AM
PEZ completes lesson one John Shelton Soaring 0 December 23rd 03 01:42 AM
fs9 lesson bug? A.J.L. Simulators 2 November 5th 03 03:23 AM