Why airplanes fly

Old February 7th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip

Default Eliminating Trolls (again)

On Feb 7, 5:36*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
The quality of the discussions here has diminished by a factor of ten. *So
have the quantity of people with real experiences to give input to the
discussions.

I agree 100% Jim. *But I have a simple solution.\\

What, you're going to stop posting?

Bertie
Old February 7th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip

Default Why airplanes fly

On Feb 7, 2:51*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 3, 3:50 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Cecil E. Chapman wrote:
They fly because of money.... :/ *Money generates both lift and thrust.....

THIS is the real reason.

And let it be known as well that lift and thrust are directly
proportional to the AMOUNT of money spent :-)

--
Dudley Henriques

I guess that's why you Yeager types figure out ways to get into the
military planes. The military guys may not get paid much, but at least
they're not PAYING.

I'd wager the average fighter pilot monthly salary would not pay for
the gas the pilot uses on a single flight -- let alone the
maintenance. Even for a couple of flights!

Well, sheet. Some people are just smarter than others.

I'm not a Yeager type, and if you think that money was all I needed to
fly military airplanes the way I have in my career you are sadly
misinformed.

I agree. If you want to do something, you do it. If you want to look
like you do something, you make excuses.

Period. Full stop. End fo story. Finnito Spagghetio.

Bertie
Old February 7th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Cecil E. Chapman wrote:
[...]

The worst part is that I can't stand Yeager ....never could. Not that
he's a bad stick because he could and can fly with the best of them.

I never liked the fact that he sailed through life taking the accolades
that belonged to George Welsh. There was no excuse for that. Yeager
could have set things right anytime he chose to do so.
To my knowledge, he hasn't done it yet!

Dudley Henriques
Old February 7th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Stewart

Cecil E. Chapman wrote:
[...]

Could you tell us a little about it? I googled
George Welsh and about all I could find is that
he was a North American test pilot and was killed
testing an F-100 at supersonic speeds.

Old February 8th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Stewart wrote:
Cecil E. Chapman wrote:
[...]

The long and the short of it is that Yeager was/is a superb pilot who
did indeed break mach 1 in the Bell X1 as well as a number of additional
notable achievements. The only rub in it is the fact that he was about a
week late on the mach 1 flight and George Welsh broke mach 1 before him
in the prototype F86. There's no doubt whatsover that Welsh went
supersonic in the Sabre, as there were a ton of eye witnesses who heard
the boom at Pancho's the day he did it. In fact, Welsh had told Barnes
to listen for the sound and she had clued the whole place in on what was
happening.
Yeager had his X1 flight and broke the barrier IN LEVEL FLIGHT, and this
should have been the way the news was released, but due to publicity
and contract issues ongoing at the time, Yeager's flight was treated as
the initial successful mach 1 attempt. Welsh had broken the mach in a
dive and his attempt was completely unauthorized by North American.
What's so bad about Yeager is that he knew Welsh. They were competitors
in the flight test business. Yeager has had years to set the record
straight and give Welsh the credit that was denied him, but he hasn't
done that. This not only denies Welsh his credit due, but will
eventually, as history sorts it all out, blot the life of Yeager as well.
Both ways, it diminishes the accomplishments of two great aviation pioneers.
There's a bit more to the story, but this is the skinny from my
perspective anyway.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 8th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Hilton

Dudley wrote:
This not only denies Welsh his credit due, but will eventually, as history
sorts it all out, blot the life of Yeager as well.

IMHO, Yaeger's life is already blotted after what he said immediately after
Scott Crossfield's accident. So many options, so many good opportunities to
say good things about a great man, but he chose the tasteless route. Pity.

Hilton

Old February 8th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Hilton wrote:
Dudley wrote:
This not only denies Welsh his credit due, but will eventually, as history
sorts it all out, blot the life of Yeager as well.

IMHO, Yaeger's life is already blotted after what he said immediately after
Scott Crossfield's accident. So many options, so many good opportunities to
say good things about a great man, but he chose the tasteless route. Pity.

Hilton

I couldn't agree more, and this was just one more nail in the coffin
that defines why I can't take Yeager.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 8th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jim Stewart

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Cecil E. Chapman wrote:
[...]

Thanks. That explains it.

Old February 8th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Stewart wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Cecil E. Chapman wrote:
[...]

Keep in mind that I wasn't at Pancho's the day Welsh broke the barrier,
but this is my understanding of what happened and my sources are sources
I trust. This, coupled with Yeager's comment about Scott Crossfield
shortly after Crossfield was killed are enough for me. Yeager is just
not my cup of tea.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 8th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote

Yeager has had years to set the record straight and give Welsh the credit
that was denied him, but he hasn't done that. This not only denies Welsh
his credit due, but will eventually, as history sorts it all out, blot the
life of Yeager as well.
Both ways, it diminishes the accomplishments of two great aviation
pioneers.
There's a bit more to the story, but this is the skinny from my
perspective anyway.

I never liked how he treated other people, in general.

One case comes to mind, when he was asked to comment about the first around
the world un re-fueled flight, in voyager.

He dismissed it, very off handedly, saying, " that was no big deal. They
were not doing anything new, it was just an airplane that carried a lot of
fuel," or something to that effect. I don't remember the exact quote, but
it was along those lines.

I vowed that day, that I would never walk to the other side of a path to
meet him, hear him speak, or get an autograph.
--
Jim in NC

New and Used Airplanes [email protected] Products 0 May 29th 07 05:02 PM
How many GA airplanes... john smith Piloting 2 May 10th 06 05:19 PM
Q On NYC Airplanes John A. Weeks III General Aviation 3 March 16th 06 01:35 PM
AIRPLANES! W P Dixon Home Built 10 October 7th 04 11:28 AM
E-bay airplanes Paul Folbrecht Owning 11 March 4th 04 01:00 AM