Lancair crash at SnF

Old April 26th 08, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

Default Lancair crash at SnF

On Apr 26, 11:41*am, Steve Hix
wrote:
In article ,

*Stefan wrote:
WingFlaps schrieb:

In everyday's language, the word velocity stands for the _magnitude_ of
the vector.
Nope. Not even at high school. The magnitude is "speed".
Maybe where you live. Not where I live.
BS. This is stated in any basic physics text book -even Wiki knows it:
"In physics...The scalar absolute value (magnitude) of velocity is
speed."
What part of "everyday's language" wasn't clear?

I can see you have trouble with English too.

If my mediocre English is offending you, then feel free to converse in
German, French, Italian or Spanish with me. I know all those languages
better than English, which obviously isn't my native language. How many
languages do _you_ speak?

There are those who might argue that he doesn't actually speak any
competently.

Stefan was doing quite well actually, I realized that his problem was
in understanding that the magnitude of velocity is called speed. Do
you?

Cheers
Old April 26th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

On Apr 26, 3:16*am, B A R R Y wrote:

As we nit-pick this to death, what are the choices after a stall just a
few hundred feet above the ground while turning?

In a 172 in a gliding steep (=45 degree bank) turn at 65 knots? Very
high I'd say and I've done it at altitude as a demonstration. But
there are those who just don't believe/know it and it happens with
depressing frequency. This why I argue against the "impossible
turn"...

Cheers
Old April 26th 08, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Hilton

Hi,

OK, too much noise here, let's just refrain from replying to personal
attacks shall we.

Anyway, speed is the magnitude of the velocity vector. In a constant speed
turn, speed is (obviously) constant, but the velocity is continuously
changing. This is by definition. It doesn't matter how you or anyone else
uses these terms. Speed is just a number, Velocity is speed plus a
'direction' variable. Since acceleration is the rate of change of velocity
(dv/dt), the above mentioned aircraft in the constant speed turn is
accelerating.

Hilton

Old April 26th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

On Apr 26, 12:37*pm, "Hilton" wrote:
Hi,

OK, too much noise here, let's just refrain from replying to personal
attacks shall we.

OK but sometimes you have to paint the troll for the peanut gallery.

Anyway, speed is the magnitude of the velocity vector. *In a constant speed
turn, speed is (obviously) constant, but the velocity is continuously
changing. *This is by definition. *It doesn't matter how you or anyone else
uses these terms. *Speed is just a number, Velocity is speed plus a
'direction' variable. *Since acceleration is the rate of change of velocity
(dv/dt), the above mentioned aircraft in the constant speed turn is
accelerating.

Yes. I just hope you don't have to explain it again and again like I
had to because it got really tedious.

Cheers
Old April 26th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Michael Ash

In rec.aviation.student WingFlaps wrote:
Technical comment :

Is there anyone here who thinks velocity is not used by pilots as a
vector (apart from Stefan)? I say the common parlance for the
magnitude of velocity is SPEED that is why you have an ASI in your
plane and a speedometer in your car. Anyone disagree?

I suggest that we are in a piloting forum, a technical environment,
and pilots do know the difference, e.g. they understand and use basic
physics and vector addition all the time... But I could be wrong and
if so I apologize for using technical terms correctly.

I have never heard the term "velocity" used to explicitly indicate speed
and direction outside of a physics classroom. The pilots I talk to almost
never use the word at all. Stefan is absolutely correct that in
non-technical discussion the word is synonymous with speed. Until Stefan
mentioned that he was not a native English speaker I would not have
guessed.

I'd also like to suggest that from my point of view your reaction to the
confusion was *way* out of line. The correct response is simply to note
that you are using "velocity" in its technical sense as a vector and not
its lay sense as a synonym for speed, then continue the discussion from
there. Berating him for bad English is simply uncalled for, although it is
of course par for the course on Usenet.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software
Old April 26th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
clint

Senoirs manage energy cuz they dont have nuch!
KAE has brought this to us :
His energy management routine was one of the best parts of an airshow.

Old April 26th 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
clint

Senoirs live in bus shelters we hate U!
B A R R Y wrote on 4/25/2008 :
I'd rather hit a bus shelter or light poles @ 40-50 MPH than go in inverted
after a stall/spin @ 200-300 AGL.

Old April 26th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
clint

duh wing flaaper!

It happens that Dylan Smith formulated :
I thought the engine had stopped?

The prop will often keep turning after the engine has stopped

Old April 26th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
WingFlaps

On Apr 26, 12:58*pm, Michael Ash wrote:

I'd also like to suggest that from my point of view your reaction to the
confusion was *way* out of line. The correct response is simply to note
that you are using "velocity" in its technical sense as a vector and not
its lay sense as a synonym for speed, then continue the discussion from
there. Berating him for bad English is simply uncalled for, although it is
of course par for the course on Usenet.

I simply started getting ****ed off when I had to state it for the
third time and he continued to try to put words into my mouth. Go back
over the thread and see it. Also I did not berate him, if you read the
thread you would see the following exchange

Stefan: What part of "everyday's language" wasn't clear?
Me: I can see you have trouble with English too.

Is that what you call berating him? Perhaps you did not read the
thread ?

Cheers
Old April 26th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Michael Ash

[...]

Yes.

Perhaps you did not read the
thread ?

I read it. It is possible in this case to disagree for reasons other than
ignorance.

--
Michael Ash
Rogue Amoeba Software

lancair crash scapoose, OR gatt Piloting 10 October 26th 06 03:34 PM
Lancair IV Dico Reyers Owning 6 October 19th 04 11:47 PM
Lancair 320 ram air? ROBIN FLY Home Built 17 January 8th 04 12:54 AM
Lancair 320/360 kit wanted!!! Erik W Owning 0 October 3rd 03 10:17 PM
Lancair IVP Peter Gottlieb Home Built 2 August 22nd 03 03:51 AM