Passenger Safety (Generic) Briefing Card

Old March 1st 11, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Default Passenger Safety (Generic) Briefing Card

Wise words Cindy! I think it's clear you've done this a few times!

A few extras.

Every flight has a purpose. The purpose of the first flight is to
become accustomed to the sighs, sounds, and feeling of motion of a
glider.

A lot of airsickness comes from nervousness. They don't know that the
bump you just felt is meaningless. The main point of the first flight
is "mind, tell stomach that everything is OK" The point of the
briefing is to give them the knowledge to help them digest that
everthing is ok.

My briefing is "what to expect." I explain that we will roll down the
runway, and it will be a bit bumpy. We're driving down a grass runway
without suspension at 40 mph after all. I explain that a bit of
bumpiness and G forces are normal, not endangering my control of the
glider at all.

I explain what the liftoff will look and feel like. I explain it will
be a bit bumpy for the first few hundred feet of tow but then will
smooth out. As we near tow release I tell them they will hear a noise
and the towplane will depart, this is normal. I point out the quiet
once we've released tow. I explain there is nothing -- nothing -- they
can do to the controls that I can't recover from (so long as they let
go when I ask!) I explain the extra noise and turbulence of dive
brakes, so they don't think something went wrong.

Our job is to anticipate all the things they don't know about a glider
that will make them nervous about the experience.

Do first flights early or late, in smooth air. Do not thermal. Do not
exceed 20 degrees bank. Nobody has ever failed to take a second flight
because the first one was boring. Many have sworn off gliding forever
because they got sick.

Like Cindy, I don't even explain the instruments. I want them looking
outside. I point out interesting things to look at.

I don't allow cameras or video. There is no way they will produce any
pictures or video of any value at all, and they may lose it or get it
jammed in the wrong place. They are sure to get sick staring through a
lens. Trying to do airborne photography on a first flight interferes
completely with the purpose of the flight -- getting used to the
sights, sounds, and feelings of being in a glider.

Giving rides is only done well if it is supremely boring for the
pilot. At best, flying so as to minimize g loading is a fun exercise.

My one failure was with a kid. The vario beeped slightly. He asked
what that meant. I answered "that's an instrument that says we're
going up, so everything is great." The vario went silent. He
interpreted that as "now, we're not ok", became very nervous and
eventually sick. Big lesson learned!

John Cochrane
Old March 2nd 11, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony V

John Cochrane wrote:

My one failure was with a kid. The vario beeped slightly. He asked
what that meant. I answered "that's an instrument that says we're
going up, so everything is great." The vario went silent. He
interpreted that as "now, we're not ok", became very nervous and
eventually sick. Big lesson learned!

You do need to be careful in what you say.During a CFI refresher clinic,
the instructor told the following:

When flying power in the pattern, he liked to set flaps and engine on
downwind, abeam the numbers, so that he would make his turns and nail
the numbers without further touching the engine or flaps. One day, he
was giving a ride to 3 non-flyers and the pattern wasn't quite working
out the way he planned. What he said was "aw, we're not going to make it".

Tony
Old March 2nd 11, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cliff Hilty[_4_]

Agreed, One of our instructors had an elderly (80 years young)
woman on a first ride in a blanik L 13 on a winch tow! When they were
about 600 feet the winch quit. Now that in itself was not the problem, you
see he found himself in a litttle thermal and being the good glider pilot
he was he declared " I think I can save it!" She simply said "do you
best" and profusely thanked him when the eventually landed for "saving
her life"!

A matter of semantics!