Transponder reminder: 1202, do NOT ident unless requested by ATC

Old February 9th 12, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Transponder reminder: 1202, do NOT ident unless requested by ATC

On Feb 8, 6:34*pm, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Feb 8, 6:11*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:

Thanks - Does this mean that the effective date
is really 7-March (and not 9-February as briefed) ?
Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m.../N7110.577.pdf

and

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...mentID/1019737
Old February 9th 12, 03:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
YourNameHere

The effective date is shown as March 7th 2012 and the Cancellation date
is shown as July 26th 2012. What is up with the Cancellation Date?

Old February 9th 12, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kolie

The change will be an added note in AIM par 4-1-20, and a change in
order 7110.65U par 5-2-13 (added code 1202 to be monitored by ATC),
and par 5-2-9 (very decent description of glider-unique operational
characteristics!). Publication date July 26, 2012 (the next AIM cycle
- may explain the cancellation of the notice in force until then).

The hope is that Air Traffic Automation can be updated in the future
to incorporate a “G” into the datablock to signify a glider.

The TSO efforts for a low-cost/low-power ADS-B transceiver are also
moving along.

KL
Old February 9th 12, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T[_2_]

On Feb 8, 7:14*pm, Kolie wrote:
The change will be an added note in AIM par 4-1-20, and a change in
order 7110.65U par 5-2-13 (added code 1202 to be monitored by ATC),
and par 5-2-9 (very decent description of glider-unique operational
characteristics!). *Publication date July 26, 2012 (the next AIM cycle
- may explain the cancellation of the notice in force until then).

The hope is that Air Traffic Automation can be updated in the future
to incorporate a “G” into the datablock to signify a glider.

The TSO efforts for a low-cost/low-power ADS-B transceiver are also
moving along.

KL

That may explain some of the issues. FAA cannot even meet their own
internal suspense and publication dates. So now a temporary JO
notification telling the controllers what 1202 is all about and to
program their radar display filters to show 1202 codes.

I just checked all of the publications listed in the Internal Change
Memo I mentioned and none of the online documents, with change
publication dates of 9 Feb 2012 have anything to say about the 1202
Code and Gliders.

I did get an email this evening from my local TRACON Airspace manager,
forwarding me the 7110.577 document and wanting to discuss the impact
to our local soaring operations. I replied, we are ready to roll from
1200 to 1202, was he ready? We have about 6 gliders in the local area
with transponders installed.

Old February 9th 12, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 2/8/2012 7:37 PM, T wrote:
I did get an email this evening from my local TRACON Airspace manager,
forwarding me the 7110.577 document and wanting to discuss the impact
to our local soaring operations. I replied, we are ready to roll from
1200 to 1202, was he ready?

Does anyone know if they will issue NOTAMS as these changes are implemented?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old February 9th 12, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Feb 8, 8:50*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 2/8/2012 7:37 PM, T wrote:

I did get an email this evening from my local TRACON Airspace manager,
forwarding me the 7110.577 document and wanting to discuss the impact
to our local soaring operations. I replied, we are ready to roll from
1200 to 1202, was he ready?

Does anyone know if they will issue NOTAMS as these changes are implemented?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarmhttp://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

ZDV Airspace Beacons and Procedures said to hold off on 1202 until the
effective date of March 7th.

Frank Whiteley
Old February 9th 12, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On 2/8/2012 7:37 PM, T wrote:

I did get an email this evening from my local TRACON Airspace manager,
forwarding me the 7110.577 document and wanting to discuss the impact
to our local soaring operations. I replied, we are ready to roll from
1200 to 1202, was he ready?

Does anyone know if they will issue NOTAMS as these changes are implemented?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarmhttp://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

ZDV Airspace Beacons and Procedures said to hold off on 1202 until the
effective date of March 7th.

Frank Whiteley

Another pilot forwarded me a copy of a proposed change/briefing
sheet. The proposed change did not make it into 7110.65U which became
effective Feb 9, 2012, hence JO 7110.577, delaying implementation
until March 7.

Frank Whiteley
Old February 9th 12, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On 2/8/2012 7:37 PM, T wrote:

I did get an email this evening from my local TRACON Airspace manager,
forwarding me the 7110.577 document and wanting to discuss the impact
to our local soaring operations. I replied, we are ready to roll from
1200 to 1202, was he ready?

Does anyone know if they will issue NOTAMS as these changes are implemented?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarmhttp://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

ZDV Airspace Beacons and Procedures said to hold off on 1202 until the
effective date of March 7th.

Frank Whiteley

I think part of the delay is due to 7110.66E not having been published
yet (national beacon/code assignments), which is why the change was
omitted from 7110.65U.

Frank
Old February 9th 12, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
N2

Denver area will switch March 7 th. I was told by local ATC
If the new order gets given. They said it won't get published till June.
July

AtS 16:34 09 February 2012, Frank Whiteley wrote:

,
[...]

New Transponder Code (1202) for Gliders (Effective Feb 9, 2012) CLewis95 Soaring 14 May 25th 11 11:09 PM
New Transponder Code (1202) for Gliders (Effective Feb 9, 2012) 5Z Soaring 2 May 25th 11 11:02 PM
Stuck ident Bob Noel[_6_] Owning 4 September 14th 09 03:41 AM
New Airport Ident (and I don't believe it) Montblack Piloting 0 April 13th 06 02:19 AM
Transponder Information Requested JohnD Soaring 1 January 6th 04 08:34 PM