Jet Arcus first soaring flight

Old October 15th 16, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Jet Arcus first soaring flight

On October 14, 1947, Chuck Yeager broke the Sound Barrier, ushering in the age of supersonic flight. Sixty-nine years later, on the same day, Dennis Tito's jet-powered Arcus demonstrated the beginnings of a new era in auxiliary powered soaring flight.

Launching from Inyokern, CA at sunrise, Dennis and designer/copilot Bob Carlton powered up to 8,000 MSL and found the wave. Over eight hours and 1,175 km later, they landed after the first significant long soaring flight in a jet-powered sailplane.

The OLC flight trace and Bob's comments can be found he

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=5455442

Congratulations to Dennis, Bob and crew for this achievement!
Old October 16th 16, 01:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I should have said "self-launching" jet sailplane.
Old October 16th 16, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Nice, but about 40 yeary late for making history. Has been done in a Calif A21J.
Old October 16th 16, 09:16 PM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Whisky View Post
Nice, but about 40 yeary late for making history. Has been done in a Calif A21J.
Click-it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yuZ3UBuNoQ
Old October 16th 16, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 12:55:34 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On October 14, 1947, Chuck Yeager broke the Sound Barrier, ushering in the age of supersonic flight. Sixty-nine years later, on the same day, Dennis Tito's jet-powered Arcus demonstrated the beginnings of a new era in auxiliary powered soaring flight.
Launching from Inyokern, CA at sunrise, Dennis and designer/copilot Bob Carlton powered up to 8,000 MSL and found the wave. Over eight hours and 1,175 km later, they landed after the first significant long soaring flight in a jet-powered sailplane.

The OLC flight trace and Bob's comments can be found he

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...l?dsId=5455442

Congratulations to Dennis, Bob and crew for this achievement!

Very cool!

Congrats to Dennis, Bob and Mark.

I am sure it will be a flight to remember for at least one person.

Mike
Old October 17th 16, 08:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I don't know about "significant long flights", but the jet glider idea is certainly not new: I think the first turbojet powered glider was this one: the Fouga CM8-R13 http://www.minijets.org/index.php?id=67

Gérard Pierre was silver medalist with the unpowered version, Fouga CM8-15 at the world championships 1952 at Madrid Quatro Vientos, Spain.

Fouga made a whole series of derivatives, http://www.minijets.org/index.php?id=159 including this Fouga Gémaux, reminiscent of the Twin Mustang: http://www.minijets.org/index.php?id=74

And don't forget the pulse-jet gliders: the Emouchet Escopette in France: http://www.minijets.org/index.php?id=135 or the Bocian Puls in Poland:http://www.minijets.org/index.php?id=138.

In the US in the sixties to seventies (advert in Soaring july 1974, for example), Gluhareff produced pulse-jet units that could be used for gliders, and I recall an advertisement in Soaring in the same period with still another type of pulse-jet.
Old October 17th 16, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 12:15:20 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Somehow an Arcus seems nicer to fly than a Fouga, Bocian or Craponi.
Admittedly never flown a Fouga.
Will anyone want to convert their glider to any of those other self-launch systems? Bob is on to something good. The Bonus Jet proved the system's capability, and climbs at nearly 1000 feet per minute with two on board.
Jim

Old October 18th 16, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 1:44:12 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
[...]

... or Craponi.

I give you the benefits of the doubt and call it a honest typo!
Apologies accepted ;-)

Uli
Calif enthusiast

Old October 18th 16, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We are completely aware that turbine power has been added to gliders as far back as 1947. Indeed, Bob Carlton has researched and assembled a fine presentation on the history of jet gliders that he has presented at several SSA Conventions, as well as at Scaled Composites and a number of aviation seminars.

Bob has been flying jet powered gliders on the airshow circuit since 2004 (www.vertigoairshows.com) and began commercial development of variations as early as 2009 (www.desertaerospace.com).

The jet Arcus project is simply the latest in a line of developments going back to the Wright brothers' efforts to add a powerplant to a glider.

As far as we know, Dennis Tito's 4,000+ km in the first three flights of this modern glider with a sophisticated turbine from PBS represents a higher level of performance than previous attempts. We fully recognize and applaud earlier applications of turbines to gliders.