FAI Ultralight Definition

Old August 19th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default FAI Ultralight Definition

On Aug 19, 6:18*am, Gary Osoba wrote:
There are other light gliders now but the ones above are those I have
personal experience flying world records with.

Best Regards,

Gary Osoba

Curious, how come you omitted Sigma from the list ?
See ya, Dave
Old August 19th 10, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Aug 19, 10:42*am, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Aug 19, 6:18*am, Gary Osoba wrote:

There are other light gliders now but the ones above are those I have
personal experience flying world records with.

Best Regards,

Gary Osoba

Curious, how come you omitted Sigma from the list ?
See ya, Dave

perhaps he was limiting this report to ultralight records?
Old August 20th 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Osoba[_3_]

On Aug 19, 11:00*am, Tony wrote:
On Aug 19, 10:42*am, Dave Nadler wrote:

On Aug 19, 6:18*am, Gary Osoba wrote:

There are other light gliders now but the ones above are those I have
personal experience flying world records with.

Best Regards,

Gary Osoba

Curious, how come you omitted Sigma from the list ?
See ya, Dave

perhaps he was limiting this report to ultralight records?

Dave's comment was both knowledgeable and tongue in cheek. While the
Carbon Dragon flies at the lightest wing loading in the sailplane
world, the Sigma, after modification by Marsden and then myself, flies
at arguably the heaviest wing loading in the world- 13.2 psf. That's
unballasted, so you fly it that way for take-off's and landings. With
22 meters of wing, its a handful at that W/S.

I haven't attempted world records in the Sigma, but it was very
helpful ands successful in verifying pitch-based dynamic soaring
algorithms.

Best Regards,

Gary Osoba
Old August 20th 10, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Aug 20, 4:26*pm, Gary Osoba wrote:
On Aug 19, 11:00*am, Tony wrote:

[...]

doh! for some reason I read Sigma and though Gemini. Either way.
Old May 8th 17, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K Smith[_2_]

On Tuesday, August 17, 2010 at 9:21:26 PM UTC-5, Tony wrote:
On Aug 17, 7:41Â*pm, BTiz wrote:
On Aug 17, 7:56Â*am, Tony wrote:

Curious,

Sporting Code 3 defines the Ultralight Class as a take off weight of
less than 220 kg, or 485 lbs. Â*Is this maximum allowed takeoff weigth
or the actual weight of the glider for that flight?

Tony... as I read the sporting code.. they always refer to "Mass",
whether it be max or minimum attainable.
So to me, in the US to read, "ULTRALIGHT, a glider with a takeoff mass
not exceeding 220 kg," that means maximum gross weight.

Are you considering that you can get an ULTRALIGHT record if you can
fly your glider below 220kg, even if you can actually carry more
according to the TCDS?
Perhaps a letter to the FAI or the SSA Badge Lady is needed?
BT

The sporting code does not have different meaning in the US vs. other
countries.

Not me, but I think there is a possibility that a light person in
Leah's Cherokee II would be under the Ultralight limit and the
Feminine World Record for Free Distance in the Ultralight class is
only 150ish kilometers. There are NO US Feminine records in the
Ultralight class.

Go Leah, GO!
Old May 9th 17, 04:45 PM
POPS POPS is offline
Member

This question led me to some interesting reading. http://ozreport.com/data/WhyMicroliftSoaring.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony[_5_] View Post
Curious,

Sporting Code 3 defines the Ultralight Class as a take off weight of
less than 220 kg, or 485 lbs. Is this maximum allowed takeoff weigth
or the actual weight of the glider for that flight?

Motorglider Definition Doug Hoffman Soaring 0 December 6th 08 08:27 PM
Definition of CFIT? Roy Smith General Aviation 4 March 31st 08 04:00 PM
Definition of a Veteran? Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 March 26th 07 10:49 PM
Need A Definition Jay Beckman Piloting 4 May 11th 04 04:41 PM
Cross-Country Definition (USA) Michael Stringfellow Soaring 16 February 9th 04 06:01 PM