2018 - AN EXCITING YEAR

Old February 19th 18, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Default 2018 - AN EXCITING YEAR

I confess I don't really understand this supposed problem with a slippery glider that "builds up speed quickly".

The problem comes when teaching students. The more difficult (slipperier) the glider to fly, the longer it takes to get a student solo.

As someone else mentioned previously, This uses instructor resources that could be better spent teaching other people to fly. It also takes up glider resources and students have to wait longer between flights.

Eventually, the "slow" student gets frustrated at not yet being solo after 50 flights and quits the sport. Some of the students that have been waiting in line for the "slow" students to get it also get frustrated with the low number of flights they can achieve in a day and they quit too. So the slow student can cause not only one lost member, but more.

The problem is not that you can't teach someone to fly in a Duo or 1000, it is a question of resources available and the impact on the overall progress of all students in the club.

Old February 19th 18, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Monday, 19 February 2018 19:45:08 UTC+2, Dave Springford wrote:
The problem is not that you can't teach someone to fly in a Duo or 1000, it is a question of resources available and the impact on the overall progress of all students in the club.

"Slippery, difficult" is concept invented by old men taught in primary gliders. No student even understands what that mean if only thing he/she flies is Duo.
Old February 19th 18, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

"Slippery, difficult" is concept invented by old men taught in primary gliders. No student even understands what that mean if only thing he/she flies is Duo.

That still does not mean the student will be able to solo in a Duo in the same number of flights as they can in a K-21.
Old February 19th 18, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 11:26:53 PM UTC+3, Dave Springford wrote:

"Slippery, difficult" is concept invented by old men taught in primary gliders. No student even understands what that mean if only thing he/she flies is Duo.

That still does not mean the student will be able to solo in a Duo in the same number of flights as they can in a K-21.

I'd be very surprised if there is any significant difference in flights to solo between an ASK21, a Grob, and a DG1000 with 18m tips.

The Duo might be a little bit more. But probably less than soloing in an ASK21 and then converting.
Old February 19th 18, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

At 20:26 19 February 2018, Dave Springford wrote:

"Slippery, difficult" is concept invented by old men taught in

primary
gliders. No student even understands what that mean if only thing

he/she
flies is Duo.

That still does not mean the student will be able to solo in a Duo

in the
same number of flights as they can in a K-21.

I have a Duo,and flown loads of pilots as guests,some loose it in
thermal turns with the speed and gee building.I always politely take
over very quickly.If I am in the duo its a personal glider and I am
not trying to instruct .But its a great ship and sadly for sale as my
partner wants to give up.

Old February 19th 18, 10:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

Keeping in mind what the next step is (our club has a Junior but it is foreseeable that the first single seater will be a Discus 2 or similar), having a draggy trainer is becoming less and less relevant.

Cheers Ben
Old February 20th 18, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Learning on the bunny hill is normal before moving to triple black diamonds. If you start on the diamonds you will learn much slower, and the instructor pilot will have to intervene much earlier when things start to go bad.

Old February 20th 18, 09:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le lundi 19 février 2018 18:45:08 UTC+1, Dave Springford a écritÂ*:
The problem comes when teaching students. The more difficult (slipperier) the glider to fly, the longer it takes to get a student solo.

No.
I have been training students ab initio on Ka7, Janus and ASK21 in different clubs. No significant difference.
Old February 20th 18, 10:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 12:15:07 AM UTC+3, Jonathon May wrote:
At 20:26 19 February 2018, Dave Springford wrote:

"Slippery, difficult" is concept invented by old men taught in

primary
gliders. No student even understands what that mean if only thing

he/she
flies is Duo.

That still does not mean the student will be able to solo in a Duo

in the
same number of flights as they can in a K-21.

I have a Duo,and flown loads of pilots as guests,some loose it in
thermal turns with the speed and gee building.I always politely take
over very quickly.If I am in the duo its a personal glider and I am
not trying to instruct .But its a great ship and sadly for sale as my
partner wants to give up.

That happens with first timers in a Blanik too.

Where are you located?