A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Best 3 antennae combo for PowerFLARM?

Old April 13th 19, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Best 3 antennae combo for PowerFLARM?

Going to try dual Craggy Aero 1/2 wave antennas on FLARM 1 and FLARM 2 mounted on both canopy rails just in front of the vent window.

If you are running FLARM 1 and FLARM 2 antennae, where did you mounted the 3rd FLARM short diapole ADS-B antennae?

I find many aftermarket 916MHz PowerFLARM antennae but no aftermarket PowerFLARM ADS-B antennae tuned to 1090MHz. Besides the stock PowerFLARM ADS-B dipole, are there other 1090MHz ADS-B antennae worth considering?

How about it Richard @ Craggy Aero?
Old April 13th 19, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]
external usenet poster

I've been using Craggy's 500107 on the glare shield, and no B antenna.

1/4 wave antenna high performance with a slim profile. It operates at 916MHz. The overall antenna length is 2 7/8-inches (73mm). It features a bulkhead mount, flexible whip and, cable to PowerFlarm A or B with 4" square ground plane.

Looks much less ghastly than the dipole antenna and works very well.
Installed with ground plane velcroed to the underside so it's easy to remove the canopy or tear away if needed.
5Z and I checked range last Sunday, were fine with both our installs.
ADS-B reception is fine with the stock dipole antenna below the glare shield.
Personally don't care to see or hear about Mode C.
Jim
Old April 13th 19, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

I find many aftermarket 916MHz PowerFLARM antennae but no aftermarket PowerFLARM ADS-B antennae tuned to 1090MHz. Besides the stock PowerFLARM ADS-B dipole, are there other 1090MHz ADS-B antennae worth considering?

Recall that the FLARM antenna tuning is much more critical since FLARM transmitted power is 0.010 watts (Portable) and 0.018 watts (CORE), and the transmitted power of transponders is 150 or 250 watts (Becker ad). The stock Mode C/S/ADS-B antenna works great with ranges beyond anything you'd ever want to display.
Old April 14th 19, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 11:33:40 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Going to try dual Craggy Aero 1/2 wave antennas on FLARM 1 and FLARM 2 mounted on both canopy rails just in front of the vent window.

If you are running FLARM 1 and FLARM 2 antennae, where did you mounted the 3rd FLARM short diapole ADS-B antennae?

The same antenna as FLARM A & B with a different connector works well with the ADS-B IN, event thought it is tuned to 916.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old April 14th 19, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 11:33:40 AM UTC-7, wrote:

I mount Flarm A on the top of the instrument panel and the Flarm B and ADS-B in the nose on opposite sides.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old April 15th 19, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 8:01:42 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

I mount Flarm A on the top of the instrument panel and the Flarm B and ADS-B in the nose on opposite sides.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

If your glider doesn't have metal or carbon fiber, seems like the big obstacle to the radio waves is the pilot's body. Would it make sense to mount one (FLARM) antenna in front of the pilot and the other (FLARM) one behind?