OK, what the hell has happened to the Brits?

Old January 2nd 04, 04:12 AM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
Jonathan Goodish wrote:
What's better, explosive decompression or a fuel-loaded airplane being
slammed into a busy downtown area by a terrorist who is able to gain
control of the airplane?

Do you really think that these days that a typical B747 load of people
(over 200) would allow a handful of hijackers to live long enough to try
crashing the plane?

Depends on what country the plane originated from. On an Air France flight,
the passengers would probably appease terrorists, subdue any Americans on
the plane trying to fight back, and curse the USA all the way into whatever
target the terrorists had planned for them.

A British Airways flight, maybe not, but I wouldn't expect miracles from
them either.

Old January 2nd 04, 04:12 AM
John Harlow

It would even be easier (as I believe that "Al Queada" has almost
unlimited financial ressources) to found their own airline, operate
unsuspect for some time and then .. well .. you get the picture ...

You know...El Al's just had *too* good a record.

Laugh

- Andrew

....you forgot nervously

Old January 2nd 04, 04:41 AM
Brooks Hagenow

"H.J." wrote in message
Didnt you know? When a bullet punctures a window, it blows out and all the
people get sucked out - unless they hang on to a chair, in which case you
flap like a flag in the wind until your fingers give out...

That is awesome! Made me laugh. Except I believe air marshals use
amunition that is "aircraft friendly." It is the ammunition the terrorists
are using that you may have to worry about. But in that case, I would
welcome an airmarshal being on board my plane.

Old January 2nd 04, 12:49 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , Thomas J.
Paladino Jr. wrote:
"Fear of an inanimate object carried by an officer of the law *is*
delusional."

Fear of what officers of the law might do with the inanimate object
isn't irrational. Let's take a look at what this esteemed law
enforcement officer did one day:

http://www.alioth.net/tmp/Negligence.mpg

Not all of them are particularly good at handling firearms safely.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old January 2nd 04, 05:26 PM
Dan Luke

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote:
Always the positive, right Dan?

I admit it: I'm getting more cynical with each passing year, but I plead
that the pressure of experience is irresistable.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 2nd 04, 07:49 PM
Dave

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote in message

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 15:15:33 GMT, Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

I avoid everybody carrying a weapon. And as long as I can decide it

(!)
nobody with a weapon is entering my house, my office or sitting in my

car.
And I turn away from everybody carrying a weapon, I also avoid beeing

too
close to cops carrying a weapon.

What do you do when those that carry guns don't give a damn what you

decide?

aaahh! now comes logic from cold war. Give everybody a nuke, but give me
one nuke more than him.

Seems to have worked out pretty well, no?

or: ... Zombie (The Cranberries)

How profound.

to your question: so I should arm myself and my family and first shoot,
then ask? I don't want to life in such a world. Thank you.

Too late; you already do. Now please tell me the logic in depending on the
goodwill of the lawless and criminal to respect your pascifism. It really
seems to have worked like a charm in the UK where soon after banning
firearms alltogether, gun related crimes went sky-high.

It is all relative and with hand guns being outlawed completely possessing a
gun became a crime. With gun crime being so low any increase looks big.

Funnily enough gun related crime tends to be restricted to the criminals
shooting each other not the public. The main problems in London tend to be
Russian mafia against Albanian mafia, blacks against blacks (Yardies), drug
dealers against drug dealers.
What we don't get are kids killing each other by accident because Dad left
his gun lying about and we don't get wacko kids going into school blasting
everyone in sight and we don't get guys sniping away at the public either.

The police here take a firm view with anyone with what looks like a gun.
They shoot them. The assumption is that as there can be no lawful purpose to
be waving a gun around then shooting dead someone with a gun who refuses to
surrender is legitimate.
Therefore the only ones who need to worry are the nuts who like guns and
criminals. Even a toy gun risks getting the holder shot if the police are
uncertain of the weapon.
Thank fully our police tend to finish gun business with the odd bullet
rather than a shootout.

There was a hostage situation in London last Christmas where the gunman held
a hostage for a week and after he released the hostage the gunman continued
to resist the police. After a couple of more days and with the threat of him
setting fire to the premises the police shot him with one bullet to the
head.

Its that type of police officer I would like as a sky marshal, someone with
restraint and control as well as skill and judgement.

Unfortunately there are probably not enough to go around.

Old January 2nd 04, 07:57 PM
Dave

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
news

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message

I avoid everybody carrying a weapon. And as long as I can decide it

(!)
nobody with a weapon is entering my house, my office or sitting in

my
car.
And I turn away from everybody carrying a weapon, I also avoid

beeing
too
close to cops carrying a weapon.

What do you do when those that carry guns don't give a damn what you

decide?

You mean Americans then - tell them to **** off.

Another brilliant answer from the xenophobic and powerless europeans.
Dismantling your military and banning guns is really paying off for you
guys, no?

Lets see, rampant crime and absolutely no say in world affairs. Good job.

Compare that with being despised by most of the world and the target of
terrorists (freedom fighters) and incapable of doing anything about it.

Has Afghanistan made any difference? No
Has Iraq made any difference? No

Just look at the US body count since 911.

Nearly 1000 US service men have been killed. That's 40% of the number who
perished on 911.

About 20,000 nationals of Afghanistan and Iraq who were non combatants have
also been killed.

911 was a tragedy but the real tragedy is that the US has not learned a
single lesson from it. I hope that the next lesson will be learnt and
understood.

Old January 2nd 04, 08:05 PM
Dave

Jonathan Goodish wrote:
What's better, explosive decompression or a fuel-loaded airplane being
slammed into a busy downtown area by a terrorist who is able to gain
control of the airplane?

Do you really think that these days that a typical B747 load of people
(over 200) would allow a handful of hijackers to live long enough to try
crashing the plane?

Depends on what country the plane originated from. On an Air France

flight,
the passengers would probably appease terrorists, subdue any Americans on
the plane trying to fight back, and curse the USA all the way into

whatever
target the terrorists had planned for them.

A British Airways flight, maybe not, but I wouldn't expect miracles from
them either.

I would not expect much from a US carrier either. The flight attendents are
all geriatric women, or nancy boys, and most of the US nationals on the
plane are so stupid they dont know what day it is.
(asking whether they need to have their passport stamped going from England
to Scotland. Some smuck will be sitting in his car ready to hand over his
passport at the Scottish and wondering what has happened when no one has
check it.
(asking why they dont speak English in France all the time - doh - maybe its
because they speak French. (I wonder why I could not understand the
accent)).

Believe it or not these are true and I have great fun taking the ****. Again
the "Don't know what the day it is ers" don't understand the joke. Thick as
****.

Have a nice day y'all

Old January 2nd 04, 09:51 PM
C J Campbell

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

| Now the British airline pilots are considering refusingto fly if there is
an
| armed security guard on a flight, citing the danger of a gunshot in a
| pressurized airliner.
|
| I was driving home from Cannon Mountain yesterday afternoon, and
| listening to NRP (National Partisan Radio) as I went. The subject of
| air marshals came up. The Talking Head was a London-based security
| consultant. He said in effect:
|
| "You don't want guns on aircraft at 30,000 feet. The air marshals have
| frangible bullets, of course. But what's to stop the terrorist from
| getting into a shootout with the air marshal? The terrorist won't have
| frangible bullets.

Yes. It is much better to allow the terrorist to take over the airplane and
deliberately kill everybody on board while causing as much death and
destruction on the ground as possible. What an idiot.

Old January 2nd 04, 10:27 PM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

The US civillian body count is at zero. Sure seems like we're making a
difference to me.

As for the military body count; that's their job, which they volunteered
for. I would prefer the terrorists engage the 4th Infantry in Baghdad,
rather than jetliners and schoolbuses in New York or Atlanta.

Our plan is working well.

Nearly 1000 US service men have been killed. That's 40% of the number who
perished on 911.

About 20,000 nationals of Afghanistan and Iraq who were non combatants

have
also been killed.

911 was a tragedy but the real tragedy is that the US has not learned a
single lesson from it.

The lesson we learned is that we can't sit back and wait for an attack here,
we need to use our military to engage those who want to hurt us before they
have a chance to even make their plans.

I hope that the next lesson will be learnt and
understood.

Is that a threat? Sure sounds like it to me. For your sake, I hope not
because I just reported you to the FBI. Good luck entering the country if
you should ever have to.