gun discharge in cockpit.

Old March 25th 08, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

Default gun discharge in cockpit.

On Mar 25, 9:31 am, Gig 601XL Builder
wrote:

I saw about 50 ADs as a range officer and they all were, luckily, fired

This must have been a civilian range?

Military ADs get court martial. In 21 years I witnessed one.

Dan Mc

Old March 25th 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

wrote:
I saw about 50 ADs as a range officer and they all were, luckily, fired

This must have been a civilian range?

Military ADs get court martial. In 21 years I witnessed one.

Dan Mc

Yes it was civilian.
Old March 25th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

wrote:
I saw about 50 ADs as a range officer and they all were, luckily, fired

This must have been a civilian range?

Military ADs get court martial. In 21 years I witnessed one.

Dan Mc

Yes it was civilian.

On most civilian ranges I've been on -- public and private -- I
usually witness at least one stupid, potentially deadly move per
session.

We're members in a local sportsman's club because the have good
archery facilities and a 400 yard rifle range. The fall I was there
sighting in the 30-06, doing the walk to check and rest targets, etc.

On the way back I look downrange -- I see once-a-year-before-deer-
hunting genius "setting up" his rifle.

As I approached I very casually said, "Do you mind waiting until the
range is clear before handling your rifle?"

"It's not loaded" was the reply.

Old March 25th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"Dan" wrote in message
I don't have an SUV, I have a F-150 for hauling

Heh. Must be the forum. I parsed that as "F-15" and then had to stop to
think of what kind of an airplane an F-150 is....

Hard to haul hay in an F-15.

Well, I was going to say "Just hitch a trailer to it" but then I thought of
the obvious complication, which is that hay doesn't like afterburners.

I knew there was a reason it hasn't been done...

Old March 25th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

John, how many of the folks you grew up with accidentally shot someone?

Two (that I know of). These were friends that were known to be prone to
ADs. I refused to go hunting with them. One had accidentally shot his TV
while showing us his "quick-draw" technique. He eventually ended up
shooting a hunting partner in the butt while quail hunting. The other guy
was known for accidentally shooting holes in camper while on hunting trips.
He attempted to put a loaded shotgun into a sling on the front of a pickup
truck seat. The owner of the truck was already sitting in the driver's seat
and got a big chunk of his leg blown off.

Among my circle of friends, it was known who had a cavalier attitude
towards firearms. I tended to avoid being around them anytime there were
firearms present.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 25th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 25, 11:32 am, "gatt" wrote:

Hard to haul hay in an F-15.

Well, I was going to say "Just hitch a trailer to it" but then I thought of
the obvious complication, which is that hay doesn't like afterburners.

I knew there was a reason it hasn't been done...

Maybe if you cover the hay with a wet tarp?

I have the trailer, tarp, and hay -- got an F-15 handy?
Old March 25th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:
Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
John, how many of the folks you grew up with accidentally shot someone?

Two (that I know of). These were friends that were known to be prone to
ADs. I refused to go hunting with them. One had accidentally shot his TV
while showing us his "quick-draw" technique. He eventually ended up
shooting a hunting partner in the butt while quail hunting. The other guy
was known for accidentally shooting holes in camper while on hunting trips.
He attempted to put a loaded shotgun into a sling on the front of a pickup
truck seat. The owner of the truck was already sitting in the driver's seat
and got a big chunk of his leg blown off.

Among my circle of friends, it was known who had a cavalier attitude
towards firearms. I tended to avoid being around them anytime there were
firearms present.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Hunters do seem to get way more than their share of ADs. This is
probably because they only shoot and handle the gun a few times a year
and go long periods between handling much less firing.

Thinking of ADs does remind me of another onethat happened in the hotel
at the USPSA Nationals several years ago.

A competitor was practicing mag changes in his room and letting the
dropped mags fall to the bed. He said he had been doing it for about
five minutes when BANG. A .38 Super sound fired and went through the
wall over his bed, and the next room's bed and the next and the next and
the next. If I remember correctly five rooms were involved and the
bullet finally lodged in a wall and was recovered.
Old March 25th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
[...]

To clarify --- careful (i.e. well trained) shooters practice "dry
fire" exercises all the time.

A cardinal rule is to always practice in one place (room, range,
field, etc), while all ammunition is in another.

An even better technique is to use practice mags, colored pink or
orange.

Dan Mc
Old March 25th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Mar 24, 12:07*pm, "gatt" wrote:
http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/...-sjf-gunonplan...

Awfer... * *there went that experiment.

" CHARLOTTE, N.C.-- A gun carried by a US Airways pilot accidentally
discharged during a flight from Denver to Charlotte Saturday, according to a
statement released by the airline...."

-c

This was no accident. The pilot was a huge Elvis fan, and he really
didn't like the weather his glass panel was showing him.

Phil
Old March 25th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.koks,alt.alien.vampire.fonk.flonk.flonk,alt.fan.karl-malden.nose,alt.disasters.aviation
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Eeyore wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Jim Logajan wrote
Ron Garret wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Eeyore wrote
WingFlaps wrote:

Why don't the airlines consider disabling terrorists by
depressurizing ?

WHAT terrorists ?

So, the 93 hijackings since 2001 don't count, fjukktard

planespoter?

Huh? Did I miss something? What 93 hijackings were those? (That
would be more than one hijacking a month.)

I'm glad someone else asked. ;-)

The implicit context appeared to be U.S. registered aircraft and I
didn't know that many had been hijacked since 2001! Maybe worldwide
there might have been that many - but that still seems high. Maybe
Bertie is including boats and/or cars? (Geez, could they hijack

trains
too? I could see how the authorities would have a hard time

tracking
down a hijacked train. ;-))

Nope, just airplanes. Most were criminal enterprises. ( ransome) some
were asylum seekers and some were disgruntled employees.

Scary eh?

So not actually TERRORISTS then ?

How about a cite Bertie ?

Go **** yourself planespotter

AUK AAVFFF ADA the nose added, fjukkwit.

Bertie

Static Discharge gman Piloting 12 March 24th 07 07:56 PM
IFR static discharge [email protected] Home Built 0 April 2nd 06 08:06 PM
The Vanishing Honorable Discharge Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 October 29th 04 02:58 AM