Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution

Old October 27th 05, 12:15 AM
Matt Whiting

Default Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution (long reply to Jay H.)

Jim Burns wrote:

I personally can not tolerate neighbors. Not that I do not enjoy people,
but I am a rather private person. I do not like unannounced visitors,
salesmen, or even phone calls. When I'm at home, I want to be left alone.
A neighbors repetitive barking dog, leaf blower, or loud muffler would
simply drive me crazy. I feel fortunate that I can live in a rather
isolated area and own all of the surrounding property. I feel sorry for
those who wish they could but can not.

I'm with you, Jim. I bought a former 88 acre farm and built my log
house just about in the center! My driveway is a little bit of a pain
to plow in the winter (1700' long), but my nearest neighbor is more than
a quarter mile away and that suits me just fine. :-)

Matt
Old October 27th 05, 12:20 AM
Matt Whiting

Default Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution (long reply to Jay

Skylune wrote:

I hope I won't need 5500 feet to land a C-172 or Piper! But...you never
know. As the saying goes, "Where you stand depends upon where you sit."

I would hope so also! If you do, get yourself a new instructor who is
competent.

Although, it is funny how different people learn to fly. I learned at
N38 which is in mountainous northern PA and has an east/west runway
(10/28) and the north end of a north/south valley (called the PA Grand
Canyon). This nearly guarantees a crosswind out of the south almost all
of the time that the wind is blowing. Back then, the runway was
something like 1899' feet of asphalt with a couple hundred feet of
grass/gravel on each end before the trees began (runway 28) or the road
crossed (runway 10). This is plenty of room for pretty much any GA
single, however, almost every day we had somebody fly an approach or two
and then decide they couldn't land. One day the pilot who did this was
flying a Cherokee and was a commercial pilot. The wind was about 14
knots directly across the runway. I remember the airport owner having a
good laugh as at the time one of his students was flying the pattern in
a 150. :-)

Matt
Old October 27th 05, 12:28 AM
Matt Whiting

Sylvain wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

Either plane will give you more head/shoulder room than a 150/152, but
will cost commensurately more per hour to operate. I think the few
extra bucks per hour are worth not having to lay on top of your
instructor -- unless she's good looking... ;-)

another advantage of the warrior or C172, is that once you have
your ticket, you are already flying an aircraft that is a lot
more capable than a C152; these are neat cross country aircraft
(well, at least for a while, some people are never satisfied),
i.e., you won't have to transition into a more capable aircraft
soon after the checkride.

That is true, but the transition is pretty painless. I transitioned
from 150 to 172 in one circuit of the pattern. I transitioned from the
172 to the 182 in two ciruits. The second circuit was due to me not
remembering to reduce the prop RPM before reducing the MP on takeoff as
I hadn't flown behind a CS before. I landed both the 172 and the 182
unassisted the first time with no problem at all.

I think it depends on how you were taught. Some folks are taught to fly
"by the numbers" and some are taught to make the airplane do what you
want it to do. I was taught by a crusty old instructor who taught the
latter. He expected you to do what was required to make the airplane do
what you wanted it to do. Sure, the 172 requires more pull to flare
than does the 150, and the 182 requires yet more, however, so what? You
keep pulling harder on the yoke until you get the pitch attitude you
desire for the flare. It really is as simple as that. You fly by the
pull required on the yoke, you fly to the attitude required for the
flare. Whether it takes 5 lbs of pull or 25 lbs shouldn't be a factor.
Unless, of course, you aren't physically capable of providing the
force required. However, I've seen some very small people fly Skylanes,
so I don't think that is a factor unless you are physically handicapped.

Matt
Old October 27th 05, 12:29 AM
Matt Whiting

Jay Honeck wrote:

Well, since Skylune is a New Yorker, I don't think he'll have to worry too
much about density altitude.

Wrong. There is a LOT of hot air in NY City. :-)

Matt
Old October 27th 05, 01:24 AM
Allen

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
Sylvain wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

What is the reasoning behind reducing the prop RPM before reducing MP? I've
always been taught the exact opposite.

Allen

Old October 27th 05, 01:45 AM
Matt Whiting

Sylvain wrote:

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]

There is none, I simply wrote it backwards. What I wrote is what I did
the first time! What you were taught is generally considered to be correct.

Matt
Old October 27th 05, 02:41 AM
W P Dixon

I envy you Jim! The guy who owns the house next door has trash living there.
Usually requires a monthly visit by the Sheriff's Dept. Love where I live
and loathe my trashy neighbors!

Patrick
student SP
aircraft structural mech

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Nearest neighbors here are 1/2 mile north and 1/2 mile south, and one of
those houses we actually own and rent out, so we can control who that
neighbor is, east it's over a mile, west it's 2 miles to another house
that
we own and rent out. Directly across the road from our house is a third
house that we own but I refuse to rent it out because I simply don't want
neighbor that close, I've learned my lesson the hard way, it simply wasn't
worth it.

Jim

Old October 27th 05, 03:01 AM
George Patterson

Montblack wrote:

Note to group - Jim's surprise Birthday Party is off indefinitely.

Shoot! I already rented the gorilla costume.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 27th 05, 03:29 AM
Judah

Default Bullying desguised (badly) as precaution

"Jay Honeck" wrote in
oups.com:

So much for the intellectual view point of a New Yawker about midwest
corn farming.

"Intellectual" and "New Yorker" don't belong in the same sentence,
Jim.
You should know that by now...

Hey! I resemble that remark!
Old October 27th 05, 03:32 AM
Judah

"Jim Burns" wrote in
:

On a large scale, they have made it impossible to raise corn and not
take the subsidy. Not taking the subsidy would guarantee bankruptcy
for individual farmers, they simply couldn't afford to loose that much
money per acre. If ALL the farmers could refuse it, once the over
supply of corn was consumed, it would be a different story. But
trying to organize farmers is about what I think it would be like to
organize New Yorkers. Jim

Are you saying we should be voting more Sicilians into office? Or just to
run the Dept of Agriculture?