Guess Who's Planning to Shine Lasers on Pilots

Old February 22nd 05, 07:10 PM
Icebound

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:e9HSd.16228$4D6.7303@attbi_s51...
You know, Peter, I can't decide which is worse: Having a person in
academic authority like Churchill teaching this kind of tripe to our
youth, or having a relatively intelligent member of our society like you
exercising moral relativism (on such a grand scale!) in defense of an
indefensible position.

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of
unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the
military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of
misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or
democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and
knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial
and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so
that security and liberty may prosper together."

---- President Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican), 1961.

You give our youth way too little credit. They can read President
Eisenhower, they can read Ward Churchill, they can listen to President Bush,
and they will do their own research to reach closer to the truth. If it is
indeed tripe, if the position is indefensible... it won't take that long for
it to be abandoned by the students. Try to suppress an idea, no matter how
obnoxious, and it raises their suspicion that you have something to hide.

You may brainwash a few to one ideology, and you may brainwash a few to
another, but the vast majority will make up their own mind quite well.

The term "Academic authority" may be applicable to a 10-year-old, but I
doubt very much that your average University student holds ANY prof as being
"authority", especially in political and social disciplines.

Old February 22nd 05, 07:15 PM
Michael 182

"Icebound" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

I know this adds nothing to the discussion, but I just have to say great
post!

Michael

Old February 22nd 05, 07:44 PM
Montblack

("Icebound" wrote)
snip
"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of
unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the
military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of
misplaced power exists and will persist.

We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or
democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert
and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge
industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and
goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together."

---- President Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican), 1961.

It is my understanding that Ike wanted to use the term
Congressional-Military-Industrial Complex (or something similar) but was
talked out of it. It was the critical role Congress plays, in that
corrupting process, that Eisenhower was warning future generations to be on
guard against.

Again, it is my understanding that the gist of the threat was gutted when
'Congressional' was removed from the text.

Also, I seem to recall that Ike wrote a fair amount of that speach himself.

Montblack

Old February 23rd 05, 12:25 AM
Blueskies

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:e9HSd.16228$4D6.7303@attbi_s51...
[...]
I'll say this about it, though: Your post better illustrates everything that is wrong with the Left, and its
"nothing is black and white in a gray world" philosophy, than anything I could have ever said.

And your post (and John's) simply affirms exactly what I said would happen. Thank you very much for proving my point.

You're probably too old for you to ever get over the "Left versus Right" mentality. If you haven't done it by now,
you probably never will. But suffice to say, it's not a useful way to think about things.

Pete

You know, it is kind of interesting. It used to be everything Red was bad, and there was no blue, it was just USA...

Old February 23rd 05, 12:27 AM
Blueskies

"Icebound" wrote in message ...

You give our youth way too little credit. They can read President Eisenhower, they can read Ward Churchill, they can
listen to President Bush, and they will do their own research to reach closer to the truth. If it is indeed tripe, if
the position is indefensible... it won't take that long for it to be abandoned by the students. Try to suppress an
idea, no matter how obnoxious, and it raises their suspicion that you have something to hide.

You may brainwash a few to one ideology, and you may brainwash a few to another, but the vast majority will make up
their own mind quite well.

The term "Academic authority" may be applicable to a 10-year-old, but I doubt very much that your average University
student holds ANY prof as being "authority", especially in political and social disciplines.

You've got that right!

Old February 23rd 05, 12:34 AM
Blueskies

"Montblack" wrote in message ...

(Waiting for the President of Harvard angle in this thread)

Women teachers should never be given tenure?

Old February 23rd 05, 12:36 AM
Matt Barrow

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Steven P. McNicoll")
I'm done.

I'm not surprised.

Bye.

Bye.

Do you like my hat?
I do not like that hat.

I like your hat.
I like your cat.

Is the cat there?
It the cat anywhere?

(First Amendment according to Dr. Suess)

Old February 23rd 05, 01:20 AM
Chris

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Steven P. McNicoll")
I'm done.

I'm not surprised.

Bye.

Bye.

Do you like my hat?
I do not like that hat.

I like your hat.
I like your cat.

Is the cat there?
It the cat anywhere?

The cat is in the hat

Old February 23rd 05, 01:44 AM
Bob Fry

"Peter Duniho" writes:

You're probably too old for you to ever get over the "Left versus Right"
mentality. If you haven't done it by now, you probably never will. But
suffice to say, it's not a useful way to think about things.

I don't think age is the factor for being unable to see different
viewpoints (let alone accept some). Rather, it's intellectual
isolation; perhaps a fear, akin to religionists, that a new idea may
upset one's belief system. You might find out that everything you
thought you knew, you didn't.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the uselessness of "left vs. right",
a.k.a. us vs. them, good vs. evil, right vs. wrong. Binary choices
are good for digital computers and little else.
Old February 23rd 05, 01:55 AM
Montblack

("Chris" wrote)
Do you like my hat?
I do not like that hat.

I like your hat.
I like your cat.

Is the cat there?
It the cat anywhere?

The cat is in the hat

Dogs are in the tree.
(NAC) Necessary Aviation Content:
There's a dog piloting a helicopter at the cat-free tree "party."

Montblack