Airspeed of military planes

Old January 27th 04, 12:42 AM
Jim Baker

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
Damn, and a 15,000'+ long runway ?

It's not a big deal. Very landable (no hot brakes, not heroic efforts)

with
8,000 ft rwy.

Yeah, I realized that after I typed it. A 210K BUFF even without a drag

chute
would only eat up about 8,000' of runway, however in a 210K BUFF, you're

on
fumes!

I think Bones weigh about 195K without fuel and once they get below around
20K of fuel you have to sweep to 20 degrees to maintain CG. That's why
you'd want to land at the 20K, to keep the wings at 15 degrees. So it's a
215K landing, 6 AoA/186 KIAS. What BTIZ was remembering with his guess of
210 KIAS for a no flap approach was coming back to the pattern relatively
heavy so the pilot and co could beat everyone to death for 1+30. lol You'd
do a no flap ILS on the first approach and kill two birds with one stone on
a check ride.

I've landed with about 13K before, but I'm not trusting the gages any lower
than that. Of course now I'm not even lookin' at any gages, just talking
about them as an old retired fart. :-(

Cheers,

JB

Old January 27th 04, 10:54 AM
Larry Dighera

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:02:57 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in Message-Id:
. net:

"N. Funk" wrote in message

Yes, but the problems occur when us insects splatter on the windshield
of those fast moving "space-ships". Even though it rarely occurs, it is
usually catastrophic for the insects. Remember the incident several
years ago in around Manatee County, Florida when a Cessna and a fighter
collided.

It's usually catastrophic for the "space-ships" as well.

So far, it's been 50/50. The first high-speed low-level military
flight, that collided with a glider, was able to make it safely to its
original destination. Miraculously, the glider safely landed missing
several feet of wing and aileron! If I recall correctly, the NTSB
found the glider pilot to be at fault, despite the see-and-avoid
regulations!

The F-16 involved in the Florida MAC became uncontrollable; its
military pilot safely ejected and walked away. It was reported, that
the Commanding Officer (Gen. Rosa) of the airman responsible for the
military flight (Parker) stated, that the flight leader (Parker) would
receive a verbal reprimand for splattering the ATP rated Cessna pilot
over four acres of golf course.

--

For instance, a pilot who has no fear of a mid-air is an idiot. A
pilot who flies without being constantly aware that he/she is the main
Old January 27th 04, 12:08 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

So far, it's been 50/50. The first high-speed low-level military
flight, that collided with a glider, was able to make it safely to its
original destination. Miraculously, the glider safely landed missing
several feet of wing and aileron! If I recall correctly, the NTSB
found the glider pilot to be at fault, despite the see-and-avoid
regulations!

The F-16 involved in the Florida MAC became uncontrollable; its
military pilot safely ejected and walked away.

Those are the only two incidents?

Old January 27th 04, 03:15 PM
M. Tettnanger

"Jim Baker" wrote...
get down to about 20K lbs of fuel for a no flap landing which gave an
approach/landing speed of 184 KIAS for a 210K lb. airplane.

If I'm figuring this right, that's 225 mph groundspeed at the
elevation of Ellsworth AFB. Holy smoke!

Mark
Old January 27th 04, 04:01 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 12:08:47 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote in Message-Id:
.net:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
.. .

So far, it's been 50/50. The first high-speed low-level military
flight, that collided with a glider, was able to make it safely to its
original destination. Miraculously, the glider safely landed missing
several feet of wing and aileron! If I recall correctly, the NTSB
found the glider pilot to be at fault, despite the see-and-avoid
regulations!

The F-16 involved in the Florida MAC became uncontrollable; its
military pilot safely ejected and walked away.

Those are the only two incidents?

Those two are the only two military v civil MACs of which I am aware.
Granted, the universe of my search has been limited to the USA. I
would welcome information about others that you, or anyone else, may
be able to provide.
Old January 27th 04, 04:03 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Those two are the only two military v civil MACs of which I am aware.

Well, then you're not in a position to declare, "So far, it's been 50/50."

Old January 27th 04, 04:25 PM
Tex Houston

"M. Tettnanger" wrote in message
m...
"Jim Baker" wrote...
get down to about 20K lbs of fuel for a no flap landing which gave an
approach/landing speed of 184 KIAS for a 210K lb. airplane.

If I'm figuring this right, that's 225 mph groundspeed at the
elevation of Ellsworth AFB. Holy smoke!

Mark

I once saw a B-52D land at Ellsworth AFB in zero feet. The nine crewmembers
survived, the aircraft didn't. Their problem was lack of airspeed.

Tex

Old January 27th 04, 07:55 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
Those two are the only two military v civil MACs of which I am aware.
Granted, the universe of my search has been limited to the USA. I
would welcome information about others that you, or anyone else, may
be able to provide.

From the UK:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...age/dft_avsafe
ty_502737.hcsp
(or http://makeashorterlink.com/?C15155637 )

Paul

Old January 31st 04, 07:04 AM
IBM

"Leadfoot" wrote in

[snip]

They operated out of Vandenberg AFB for initial aircrew training in
1969. Quite possible they landed at LAX for training.

My bad, it was actually 1970, November to be more specific.
I'm trying to figure where we went in '68 though.
Obviously not as exciting as Disnayland....

IBM

The Worlds Uncensored News Source