Tricky examiners

Old January 7th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Default Tricky examiners

JGalban via AviationKB.com wrote:
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Really. there will come a time when they'll look at us the way we'd look at
someone who went to sea in a canoe.

I think that's already happening, particularly in the area of navigation.
I've had more than one pilot comment with amazement on the fact that we used
to navigate across the country without GPS. Particularly in areas where
radio navigation is not available (mountains). Apparently, finding
unfamiliar airports without the magic box pointing you right at it, is some
sort of magical feat. I personally know pilots that wouldn't consider flying
a cross-country trip without an operable GPS.

Remember when flying a GA airplane across an ocean was a huge navigational
challenge (HF being what it is)?

My local library has bound copies of the aviation mags going back to the
'20s. Since my plane's equipment is generally not much better than the
state of the art in the 40s, I can often relate to those old articles.

Several years back I saw an old Narco radio (Superhomer) in an aviation
museum and was surprised because I'd removed an identical one from my
airplane only a few years before.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Things have sure come a long way since the Superhomer days for sure. We
used to check the gas against the forcast winds, pick a Magnetic Course
off the nearest VOR and parrell that to the True Course line, allow some
extra gas for ("unintended consequences" :-), then take off, check the
ground speed and wind between the first two checkpoints and get an ETA.
God, we were archaic by modern day standards.......and I haven't even
mentioned trying to fly a damn low freq range leg with a bad headset :-))))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 7th 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Gig601XLBuilder wrote in news:13o4hgltpjes298
@news.supernews.com:

Dudley Henriques wrote:

Anyway...I won't tell you what it cost me, but FWIW, if a cop ever asks
to see your pilot's license, for God sake, don't show it to him :-)))

While I agree aren't you actually required to if he asks?

I had some dickhead of a cop at an airport in Dr Vaterland who wanted to
see my cafeteria pass one day. And I wasn't in the cafeteria.

Bertie
Old January 7th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Gig601XLBuilder wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:

Anyway...I won't tell you what it cost me, but FWIW, if a cop ever
asks to see your pilot's license, for God sake, don't show it to him
:-)))

While I agree aren't you actually required to if he asks?

Actually the answer to this would be yes, IF the request was an official
one made for an official purpose.
In this case, it was an obvious attempt at humor and being a smart ass
as I was, I supplied it. Bad ju ju in case you need to know :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 7th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

I've only ever seen them in Canada. had to do a test with the Canadian
CAA once and the guy who administerd it told me soem real good tips on
tracking them, but they're all gone a long time now.
last one in the US was servicable to about 1979 IIRC. Somewhere out
west.

Bertie

Old January 7th 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Gig601XLBuilder wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
Gig601XLBuilder writes:

Most people when put in a position of public trust will do what they
can to live up to that trust.

Unless, of course, they are being paid to be "not too tough."

You have just made a statement saying one or more DPE are excepting
bribes to bass students. Do you have any evidence of such?

How do you bass a student? Sounds a bit fishy to me :-))))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 7th 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

That's right I believe. I happened on a chance to go down to South
America with a modified P38 and do some aerial mapping. I never went as
it turned out but I did get as far with the program as checking out the
Nav aids down there. What a mess! Mostly ADF and a few low freq ranges
but little else in those days.
Glad I passed on that job really. Much of it would have been flying grid
lines over long expanses of jungle and that Lightning was getting a bit
old in the tooth.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 7th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

Several years back I saw an old Narco radio (Superhomer) in an
aviation
museum and was surprised because I'd removed an identical one from my
airplane only a few years before.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Things have sure come a long way since the Superhomer days for sure.

Hey, I just had a guy donate an old Superhomer to us, for use in a future
theme suite. Damn thing is as heavy as an anvil...

He recently took it out of his dad's old Taylorcraft, a plane he has
completely restored to like-new condition.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 7th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

I've only ever seen them in Canada. had to do a test with the Canadian
CAA once and the guy who administerd it told me soem real good tips on
tracking them, but they're all gone a long time now.
last one in the US was servicable to about 1979 IIRC. Somewhere out
west.

Bertie

That's right I believe. I happened on a chance to go down to South
America with a modified P38 and do some aerial mapping. I never went as
it turned out but I did get as far with the program as checking out the
Nav aids down there. What a mess! Mostly ADF and a few low freq ranges
but little else in those days.
Glad I passed on that job really. Much of it would have been flying grid
lines over long expanses of jungle and that Lightning was getting a bit
old in the tooth.

He he. Yeah,. They did have fantastic range though.
I've used some NDBs that were good for about 1500 miles, too.Sometimes even
more.
Mostly at night.

Bertie

Old January 7th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in

Several years back I saw an old Narco radio (Superhomer) in an
aviation
museum and was surprised because I'd removed an identical one from
my airplane only a few years before.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Things have sure come a long way since the Superhomer days for sure.

Hey, I just had a guy donate an old Superhomer to us, for use in a
future theme suite. Damn thing is as heavy as an anvil...

Oh what a magical world you live in, you self promoting fjukkwit.

Bertie
Old January 7th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:
[...]

Lots of NDB's down in SA. I have to admit though that it was the thought
of flying over that damn jungle every day that worried me. I never did
find out if that job went through or who if anyone took it. The P38 that
was involved ended up here in the states somewhere I believe and went to
a private owner.
I've always wondered if I had taken that job if I would have ended up on
some Jivaro's lodge pole as a shrunken head :-))

--
Dudley Henriques