OT - Plasma TV question

Old February 27th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default OT - Plasma TV question

You need to fix the clock on your PC (or perhaps your news server's
clock)... It's a couple of days fast (i.e. it says the 28th and it's only
the 26th right now)...

Sorry, I was posting that as I was flying and didn't take in account the
effect of my ground speed on the space-time continuum. It was a heck of a
tailwind.

No...actually I had advanced my clock doing office work that had to posted
on the 28th. Sorry about that.

Kobra

Old February 27th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Happy Dog" wrote:

What's wrong with "Monster Cable" products??

Insanely overpriced cables for which the manufacturers make
unsupportable claims and spout crank physics to back them.

Not that they aren't good cables--they are. But one can find good
cables for much less.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/de...t.asp?c_id=102

Nevertheless, one can also buy cheap cables that will degrade A/V
performance, so beware. I usually go to one of the A/V groups for
advice when I need such gear.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old February 27th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
HD signals (720i) are 720 x 1280. Without scan converting the image to
fit the width of an XGA screen or projector, the horizontal edges will be
slightly truncated.

Yes, you're right...I was only speaking of vertical resolution (which is
what most people use to differentiate different HD formats). 768 lines is
sufficient for a 720 line signal. Most people, rather than getting a 4:3
PC-type display, will opt for the widescreen version which would be 1280x720
(as you said) or larger.

Pete

Old February 27th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
I believe they're talking about LCD technology projection systems. They
use a metal halide discharge lamp.

Doesn't matter what they are talking about. The statement is true for any
LCD display device, projection or flat panel.

Frankly, I don't think many people worry about projectors getting dim,
because they get REALLY dim all at once (ie, the bulb burns out). The bulb
doesn't usually decrease in brightness dramatically much during its lifetime
(which can be short, especially for the very bright projectors).

Pete

Old February 27th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello & Welcome,

Well, I know where I *won't* be buying any sort of anything, flat panel TV
or otherwise.

Stupid spammers.

Old February 27th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Matt Whiting" wrote

I'm not trying to convince you. I'm offering Jay some food for thought

Sounds like convincing, to me. If you say consider A over B, thin it is
convincing. If you don't like that word, substitute another.

The numbers are only a very small part of the equation and vary some
much from maker to maker as to be largely meaningless.

BULL BULL BULL !!!

They are a DAMN good place to start comparing, at the VERY minimum.

And they are just as meaningless with the specifications as the
specifications are largely meaningless.

More Bull****

Don't insult everyone here's intelligence, with saying specs are
meaningless. This is a fairly scientific bunch, and we ALL know better.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 27th 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

28,000 lumens, 2048x1080 resolution, 400 lbs

JesusMary&Joseph...

$94K to watch TV. That's, that's, well...stupid.

Better watch out about buying that one, Jay. After all, specs are
meaningless.

Oh, was I typing out loud, again? Ooops. sorry. ;-)
--
Jim in NC

Old February 27th 06, 03:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Peter Duniho" wrote

What home video stuff does 1080i? Last I looked, consumer-grade HD

cameras
were only starting to appear, and they only did 720. As an added problem,
the HD data stream from the camera I played with (a JVC) didn't follow any
standard, and there weren't drivers available for capturing the video onto
the PC.

They are out there, but they don't come cheap. My son does this kind of
stuff, although I don't know what he knows! g

I know that to capture and render a video is a big time processing job. He
runs a high end computer for hours, rendering one DVD, at 100%. He is
currently working on designing a liquid emersed PC, so that he can over
clock it, at two or three times normal speeds.
--
Jim in NC

Old February 27th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Jay Honeck" wrote

We have an old (1987) JVC color TV that fits that description. I pick it
up, and everything else gets moved/wired/unplugged/whatever while I stand
their straining, trying not to pop a blood vessel. Danged thing must

weigh
200 pounds and surely it's made out of lead -- but it still looks as good
today as it did the day we bought it.

Too bad it's only 27 inches, cuz otherwise it's still great.

I had a 1980 Zenith, until recently (a year or two) and am watching a 1988
Zenith, as I type this. (watching and recording Roger Long's Titanic
special)
--
Jim in NC

Old February 27th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Flyingmonk" wrote

D*mn, spamming technology is getting more and more sophisticated. They
now even know what we are chatting about and spamming in real time.

At least they are spamming on topic, for the off topic (and marked) post.

Strangely, I did not mind it at all.
--
Jim in NC

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM
Winching: Steel vs. Plasma Bob Johnson Soaring 10 August 12th 03 05:41 PM