Stop whining, America!

Old August 28th 05, 09:18 PM
Morgans

"Matt Barrow" wrote

It's quite evident how you know this: it's the same bilge the public
"education" system has been cramming up kids asses for a couple

generations.

Unfortunately, we are cramming what they (state and federal dept. of ed.)
says we have to cram. Our hands are tied.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 28th 05, 09:45 PM
Darrel Toepfer

Jose wrote:

Now, they've calibrated the meter to put me equal to the neighbors.

In other words, they cheated? Why not calibrate your payments?

Add another meter in the line to compare the readings...
Old August 28th 05, 09:47 PM
Morgans

wrote

One
thing that's good to know is how to heave-to. You basically set the
headsail on an opposing tack and lash the tiller hard to windward, and
the boat *should* just sort of hang right there.

Learned that one the next year. :-)

Ours was shoal draft, swing board. It would be at near knock-down in the
conditions that day, I'll bet.

Dragging warfs might have worked that day.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 28th 05, 09:49 PM
Mike Rapoport

"ls" wrote in message
George Patterson wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:

Both, of course. Our economy has grown strongly and well --

Not in the NY-NJ area it hasn't.

I must have missed it here in our area too (central TX) because, last I
checked, the local economy was anything but red hot. For example, a little
over a year ago I applied for a job answering phones for Sears - they had
had _1700_ applicants for that one job at that time. That was basically
the story for every job I applied for.

Regarding the cost of our infrastructure, it's not a simple equation. One
of the reasons labor is so expensive in the US is because it's so well
protected. You have to pay a minimum wage, you have to provide a minimal
level of safety in your work environment

It is cheaper to prevent an accident than to deal with the aftermath.

, you can't hire 15 year
old children, nor make them work 14 hour days for 5 dollars,

This is bad?

you have to follow various rules as far as time off and benifits and so on.

Now it should be clear why "globalization" is so seductive for US
businesses - other economies such as China and India don't have the same
protections in place for their labor pools. In fact, they're just ripe for
the picking as well as cheap, cheap, cheap.

When you can hire and use a foreign laborer for 1/10 of the cost of an
American equivalent to do the same job, well, there goes your
high-fallootin' principles against exploitation of cheap labor.

If US based companies hired workers for 10X the wages of their (foriegn)
competitors, do you think that anyone would buy their products? What would
happen to the jobs then?

Mike
MU-2

Old August 28th 05, 10:11 PM

Matt Barrow wrote:
"W P Dixon" wrote in message

One of the theories behind the tragic sinking
of the famous freighter Edmund Fitzgerald is that she was downed by a

rogue
wave during a major storm on Lake Superior back in November 1975. No one
will know for sure as everyone perished. from an article in Boat/US
Magazine

From the same article about waves in the ocean that just poof there it is

,
not even a storm....

Imagine cruising on a perfect sailing day and suddenly staring at a 35- to
40-foot wave that comes out of nowhere. "I remember as a boy cruising off

of
Cape Hatteras in a calm sea, seeing a rogue wave come out of nowhere,"

This hardly describes the wave(s) that destroyed the Fitzgerald.

IIRC, it was 100 knot winds over shallow water. Imagine a nosedive into the
lakebed 200 feet below (for a 700 foot ship).

Windspeed and water depth are not the only variables. You also have to
consider the "fetch" or the distance the wind is blowing over the water
behind that wave, building up its energy. More fetch=taller waves.

Also, as windspeeds approach 100kts, they will actually begin to blow
the peaks of the waves over, and you will get breaking seas in the
middle of the North Atlantic.

The Great Lakes are plenty big enough and located in enough of a wind
tunnel to generate plenty of deadly-serious weather. That being said,
the difference to open-ocean sailing is one of choice. In the Lakes you
are likely to have better warning of a storm's approach, and more
likely to be able to find safe harbor before it hits. If you do end up
in distress, help is possibly much nearer. Out in the middle of the
ocean, you may have no choice, and the nearest help may be another
vessel just as far up ---- creek as you. But once you're in the stuff,
being one mile offshore can be just as bad as one thousand. No
knowledgeable oceangoing mariner would look down on the experience of a
Great Laker.

-cwk.

Old August 28th 05, 10:26 PM
W P Dixon

That's cool,
I'd love to go on one! Not a welded one if one exist! My Grandpa and
Aunt both built Liberty ships in Brunswick , GA during the war. He was
alittle to old to go fight, and I guess the US did not want my Aunt to whip
the enemy single handed...she was a fiesty lass! HAHA

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

On 2005-08-28, W P Dixon wrote:
Ships are designed to flex. Remember back in WWII when Kaiser was
building
liberty ships, it was a problem because Kaiser had the entire thing
welded

I went on the Jerimah O'Brien (a Liberty ship) a few weeks ago in San
Fransisco. I thought it was a static museum ship until I went on board
and discovered they still sail it. The engine room was very impressive.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Old August 28th 05, 10:32 PM
W P Dixon

And nor am I,
I am wondering why the Great Laker that isn't a sailor is passing a
judgement on Ocean sailors. I said in the thread numerous times I do not
question the power of the body of water. I do question hard core salts being
green in it.

Patrick

wrote in message
oups.com...

Matt Barrow wrote:
"W P Dixon" wrote in message

One of the theories behind the tragic sinking
of the famous freighter Edmund Fitzgerald is that she was downed by a

rogue
wave during a major storm on Lake Superior back in November 1975. No
one
will know for sure as everyone perished. from an article in Boat/US
Magazine

From the same article about waves in the ocean that just poof there it
is

,

Old August 28th 05, 11:55 PM
Jay Honeck

For heaven's sake don't let the locals know you said Jersey was part of
the UK! The Channel Islands isn't part of the UK, even though it's
British territory.

???

How can it be British territory and not part of the United Kingdom?

I didn't know one could opt out of that, and still be British?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 29th 05, 01:43 AM
Bob Noel

In article et,
"Mike Rapoport" wrote:

It is cheaper to prevent an accident than to deal with the aftermath.

not always.

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old August 29th 05, 02:24 AM
JohnH

Not! Our largest expense every month is for electricity and gas.
During our recent heat wave, I paid over $4000 to air condition our
three 3-story buildings -- for the single month of July.

Is that violins I hear?

It's usually around $3K per month. And that has gone up 30% since we
bought the place in 2002. (And we have NOT raised rates since we
opened.)

Sadly, the energy companies have seen fit to continually raise rates,
even before the recent run-up of oil prices, and we (as a nation)
continue to ignore the relatively cheap energy alternatives.

I suggest you go fly instead of whine