Tricky examiners

Old January 7th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Default Tricky examiners

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:
I've only ever seen them in Canada. had to do a test with the
Canadian CAA once and the guy who administerd it told me soem real
good tips on tracking them, but they're all gone a long time now.
last one in the US was servicable to about 1979 IIRC. Somewhere out
west.

Bertie

That's right I believe. I happened on a chance to go down to South
America with a modified P38 and do some aerial mapping. I never went
as it turned out but I did get as far with the program as checking
out the Nav aids down there. What a mess! Mostly ADF and a few low
freq ranges but little else in those days.
Glad I passed on that job really. Much of it would have been flying
grid lines over long expanses of jungle and that Lightning was
getting a bit old in the tooth.

He he. Yeah,. They did have fantastic range though.
I've used some NDBs that were good for about 1500 miles,
too.Sometimes even more.
Mostly at night.

Bertie

Lots of NDB's down in SA. I have to admit though that it was the
thought of flying over that damn jungle every day that worried me. I
never did find out if that job went through or who if anyone took it.
The P38 that was involved ended up here in the states somewhere I
believe and went to a private owner.
I've always wondered if I had taken that job if I would have ended up
on some Jivaro's lodge pole as a shrunken head :-))

Hehe. Nah. It's not that bad flying in those parts of the world if
you're prepared. hopefully at least one engine would have run for you
til you got where you were going?

Bertie

Old January 7th 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig601XLBuilder

Dudley Henriques wrote:

How do you bass a student? Sounds a bit fishy to me :-))))

It is done at the same time as the cutting of the shirt tail. The only
difference is they have to drop their paints and bend over.

Old January 7th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Gig601XLBuilder wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:

How do you bass a student? Sounds a bit fishy to me :-))))

It is done at the same time as the cutting of the shirt tail. The only
difference is they have to drop their paints and bend over.

I can see where getting them to drop their paints would indeed be a
colorful experience.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 7th 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:
[...]

The alternatives would have been interesting to say the least. Remember,
this was to be over mostly uncharted jungle. The word was that if
something happened to you along the routes, jumping was the only way to
go since there was no way to put something down in those trees and live
through it. All in all the picture was pretty glum chum :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 7th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig601XLBuilder

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Gig601XLBuilder wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:

How do you bass a student? Sounds a bit fishy to me :-))))

It is done at the same time as the cutting of the shirt tail. The only
difference is they have to drop their paints and bend over.

I can see where getting them to drop their paints would indeed be a
colorful experience.

It's probably a seaplane tradition.
Old January 7th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

The alternatives would have been interesting to say the least. Remember,
this was to be over mostly uncharted jungle. The word was that if
something happened to you along the routes, jumping was the only way to
go since there was no way to put something down in those trees and live
through it. All in all the picture was pretty glum chum :-))

Yeah. It's probably true, but much of it is gone now!
I've seen much much worse than jungle, though. You want to see northern
Quebec, for instance. all rocks. I might have a pic in fact, but it's all
rock and none of it flat for hundreds of miles. Not to mention, if you jump
there it's cold too!

bertie
Old January 7th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:
The alternatives would have been interesting to say the least. Remember,
this was to be over mostly uncharted jungle. The word was that if
something happened to you along the routes, jumping was the only way to
go since there was no way to put something down in those trees and live
through it. All in all the picture was pretty glum chum :-))

Yeah. It's probably true, but much of it is gone now!
I've seen much much worse than jungle, though. You want to see northern
Quebec, for instance. all rocks. I might have a pic in fact, but it's all
rock and none of it flat for hundreds of miles. Not to mention, if you jump
there it's cold too!

bertie

I rode a motorcycle up through the plains in Canada once all the way to
Moosejaw. I thought it would never end :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old January 7th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:
The alternatives would have been interesting to say the least.
Remember, this was to be over mostly uncharted jungle. The word was
that if something happened to you along the routes, jumping was the
only way to go since there was no way to put something down in those
trees and live through it. All in all the picture was pretty glum
chum :-))

Yeah. It's probably true, but much of it is gone now!
I've seen much much worse than jungle, though. You want to see
northern Quebec, for instance. all rocks. I might have a pic in fact,
but it's all rock and none of it flat for hundreds of miles. Not to
mention, if you jump there it's cold too!

bertie

I rode a motorcycle up through the plains in Canada once all the way
to Moosejaw. I thought it would never end :-))

I don't think it does!

Bertie

Old January 7th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Lots of NDB's down in SA. I have to admit though that it was the thought
of flying over that damn jungle every day that worried me. I never did
find out if that job went through or who if anyone took it. The P38 that
was involved ended up here in the states somewhere I believe and went to
a private owner.

Speaking of crappy jobs not taken, I remember seeing one years ago involving an
"armored T-28" for thunderstorm and hail research in the midwestern United
States in the Trade-A-Plane. I was actually thinking about it until I got to
the part about the "$10,000 bonus if you complete the contract". Hmmmmm....

I've always wondered if I had taken that job if I would have ended up on
some Jivaro's lodge pole as a shrunken head :-))

No doubt it would have made a handsome addition to his decor.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old January 7th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Lots of NDB's down in SA. I have to admit though that it was the thought
of flying over that damn jungle every day that worried me. I never did
find out if that job went through or who if anyone took it. The P38 that
was involved ended up here in the states somewhere I believe and went to
a private owner.

Speaking of crappy jobs not taken, I remember seeing one years ago involving an
"armored T-28" for thunderstorm and hail research in the midwestern United
States in the Trade-A-Plane. I was actually thinking about it until I got to
the part about the "$10,000 bonus if you complete the contract". Hmmmmm....

I was having some "attitude adjustment" one night at a bar outside the
gate at Pax River when I met a NASA test pilot who was pushing an F106
out of Wallops NAS doing lightning research. He told me he had taken
several hundred direct hits doing flights through heavy Nimbo
Cumulobumpus and was just about the world's foremost expert on St.
Elmo's Fire :-)

I've always wondered if I had taken that job if I would have ended up on
some Jivaro's lodge pole as a shrunken head :-))

No doubt it would have made a handsome addition to his decor.

From the looks of some of those guys.....this might actually have been
possible :-))

--
Dudley Henriques