Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

Old July 6th 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
TMOliver

Default Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

"Jim Logajan" wrote ...

And just who defines "Perfect English" and what is their e-mail address?

(Big wink on all the above.)

I don' gnow from "Perfect", but old aviators and those forced to converse
with them often leave clues like...."Niner". Really suave sorts even use
quaint expressions such as...."Bingo Button 13", while super sophisticates
will gravely pronounce for all to hear, witticisms such as...."Allstar 503,
at the 90, down and dirty, 3.2....."

Old July 6th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
NotABushSupporter

TMOliver wrote:

"Jim Logajan" wrote ...

And just who defines "Perfect English" and what is their e-mail address?

(Big wink on all the above.)

I don' gnow from "Perfect", but old aviators and those forced to converse
with them often leave clues like...."Niner". Really suave sorts even use
quaint expressions such as...."Bingo Button 13", while super sophisticates
will gravely pronounce for all to hear, witticisms such as...."Allstar 503,
at the 90, down and dirty, 3.2....."

Do they all use numbers like "tree" and "fife"?

Old July 6th 07, 09:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

NotABushSupporter,

Do they all use numbers like "tree" and "fife"?

Actually, "tree", "fife" and "niner" are all examples for standard
aviation phraseology. Which brings us kind of full circle.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 6th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

Ok, Ok... My attempt at humor failed miserably

Old July 6th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Martin D. Pay

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:50:17 -0000, Jim Logajan
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

Martin D. Pay wrote:
On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 00:17:36 +0300, "Snowbird"
mangled uncounted electrons thus:
Anyway, Englishmen who speak perfect German are even rarer.

grin You all overlook the fact that English speaking perfect
English are also extremely rare...

Martin D. Pay
Yes, I'm English - and I frequently wonder at the atrocities
perpetrated on our mother-tongue by my fellow citizens...

So what is the "Perfect English" way to pronounce "tomato"?

The English way - long 'a' in the middle. (Heaven knows where the
Americans found their pronunciation!)

Is "ain't" considered a word in "Perfect English"?

It used to be. It still is, in America.

For that matter, which accent is "Perfect English"?

It used to be called 'BBC English', 'the King's/Queen's English'
or (more correctly now) 'Received Pronunciation'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regiona...glish_speakers
http://www.otago.ac.nz/anthropology/...ds/Sounds.html
http://www.collectbritain.co.uk/collections/dialects/

We have a wonderful variety of dialects. It's almost true that a
Geordie (Newcastle-upon-Tyne) has trouble understanding a Cockney
(London, of course) - and vice versa! And as for anyone from
southern England understanding someone from central Glasgow...
^_-

And just who defines "Perfect English" and what is their e-mail address?

The BBC, once upon a time. Back in days of Lord Reith, when radio
presenters had to wear dinner jackets...

(Big wink on all the above.)

Absolutely! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Martin D. Pay
Talking about language is almost as much fun as using it!
Old July 7th 07, 07:17 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
NotABushSupporter

Martin D. Pay wrote:

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 00:17:36 +0300, "Snowbird"
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

Anyway, Englishmen who speak perfect German are even rarer.

grin You all overlook the fact that English speaking perfect
English are also extremely rare...

Martin D. Pay
Yes, I'm English - and I frequently wonder at the atrocities
perpetrated on our mother-tongue by my fellow citizens...

So what is the "Perfect English" way to pronounce "tomato"?

The English way - long 'a' in the middle. (Heaven knows where the
Americans found their pronunciation!)

The most used pronunciation in America is with a long 'a'.
Old July 7th 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
DaveM

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 23:17:14 -0700, NotABushSupporter wrote:

Martin D. Pay wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:50:17 -0000, Jim Logajan
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

So what is the "Perfect English" way to pronounce "tomato"?

The English way - long 'a' in the middle. (Heaven knows where the
Americans found their pronunciation!)

The most used pronunciation in America is with a long 'a'.

Let's not get into this. Unless there's some deep linguistic reason it seems
reasonable "tomato" and "potato" would be pronounced identically bar the
first syllable, but we don't in England. Similarly, for reasons not
immediately obvious, the Americans pronounce "lever" and "fever"
differently.

DaveM
Old July 8th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
NotABushSupporter

Martin D. Pay wrote:

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 19:50:17 -0000, Jim Logajan
mangled uncounted electrons thus:

So what is the "Perfect English" way to pronounce "tomato"?

The English way - long 'a' in the middle. (Heaven knows where the
Americans found their pronunciation!)

The most used pronunciation in America is with a long 'a'.

Let's not get into this. Unless there's some deep linguistic reason it seems
reasonable "tomato" and "potato" would be pronounced identically bar the
first syllable, but we don't in England. Similarly, for reasons not
immediately obvious, the Americans pronounce "lever" and "fever"
differently.

Of course, there is always the confusion with "dessert" and "desert"

Old July 8th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
DaveM

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 17:20:31 -0700, NotABushSupporter wrote:

Of course, there is always the confusion with "dessert" and "desert"

Now you're talking my language! My personal favourite is "complement" and
"compliment"

DaveM
Old July 8th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
NotABushSupporter

DaveM wrote:

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 17:20:31 -0700, NotABushSupporter wrote:

Of course, there is always the confusion with "dessert" and "desert"

Now you're talking my language! My personal favourite is "complement" and
"compliment"

DaveM

But, we pronounce "compliment" the way it would be expected to be
pronounced. "Dessert" and "desert" are pronounced the reverse of what
would be expected.