Oshkosh arrivals

Old August 2nd 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

Default Oshkosh arrivals

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:06:14 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
.. .

Normally I go over IFR across the lake with my route being 3BS D- LDM
(NDB) D- LDN (VOR) D- OSH.

That's a helluva route. LDN VORTAC is in Virginia. Perhaps you meant
3BS..LDM..MTW..OSH.

What one letter difference between friends? OTOH I like the scenic
route:-))

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old August 2nd 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

wrote in message
ups.com...
Ron Natalie wrote:
(Of course, I was standing on taxiway Papa when a plane landed there
one year as well).

Ron,

That is a frighteningly common occurrence. We call those runways 18
Left, 18 Right, and 18 Wrong (Papa).

Chuckle Yep, I've not been out there when one landed, but almost. He
sidestepped at the last moment, when ATC yelled at him. I was monitoring
tower in one ear.

I was on Papa when someone took off from it, one year! I stood there and
saw it and told someone else, "watch out, it looks like he is getting ready
to take off!" and sure enough, he did!
--
Jim in NC

Old August 2nd 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Roger" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 12:06:14 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"Roger" wrote in message
. ..

Normally I go over IFR across the lake with my route being 3BS D- LDM
(NDB) D- LDN (VOR) D- OSH.

That's a helluva route. LDN VORTAC is in Virginia. Perhaps you meant
3BS..LDM..MTW..OSH.

What one letter difference between friends? OTOH I like the scenic
route:-))

One letter difference between LDN and MTW?

Old August 3rd 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Montblack" said:
http://tinyurl.com/lu6uu

[cell phone rings]
"Hello."
"OSH Tower here. Montblack?"
"Yes?"
"If we send one up to Green Bay, would you mind picking him up in your
minivan?"
"Wilco."

I bet he won't get the full concierge service with ice water and
everything. Unless you plan to dump it in his crotch, maybe.

After you delivered that bottle of ice water, I was wondering how I could
arrange to leave it in your van every night. That was extremely welcome
after half a week of luke warm campsite water. Thanks again.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Frankly, your argument wouldn't float were the sea composed of
Old August 3rd 06, 09:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 10:26:34 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:
Chuckle Yep, I've not been out there when one landed, but almost. He
sidestepped at the last moment, when ATC yelled at him. I was monitoring
tower in one ear.

On my first trip to OSH, they changed me at the last minute from
landing on 27 to landing on 18R... Apparently the winds had changed,
so they were switching to a different runway... There was a storm
system coming in and the flight from Ripon to Fisk to the field was
basically scud running with enough rain to make it interesting enough
in that you couldn't see the plane in front of you even though you
could tell from the radio calls by the controllers that you were very
close... I looked down, saw basically 3 equally inviting strips of
concrete / asphalt before me and remembered reading that during this
time, they changed it to 18L, 18R and a taxiway... I'm low, slow,
going in and out of rain and in fairly congested airspace, so I don't
have the time to grab the NOTAM and read through it... I don't really
want to be looking down in the cockpit instead of outside... I line up
on the rightmost strip of concrete / asphalt and survey the
situation... I figure that at worst, I'm lined up on the taxiway and
as long as there are no planes on it, it is not something that is
going to kill me... On the other hand, if it was in fact a runway and
I instead lined up on the middle strip of concrete / asphalt, there is
a definite chance of there being another plane and this would not be
good for my continued survival...There were no planes on any of the
strips of concrete / asphalt landing or taxiing, so I didn't have any
visual clues which were the runways and which was the taxiway... I
keep looking all the way down to the flare, at which time, the tower
informed me that I was lined upon on the taxiway, not the runway... No
yelling or anything, just a, "gray low wing, that's the taxiway"... A
bit of throttle and a quick side slip to the left and I continued my
landing on the middle strip of concrete / asphalt... I even got a
comment of "great save" from the tower...
Old August 3rd 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Grumman-581 wrote:

bit of throttle and a quick side slip to the left and I continued my
landing on the middle strip of concrete / asphalt... I even got a
comment of "great save" from the tower...

Now that sounds a bit nerve-wracking (the entire approach in that weather).
Good story.

--
Peter
Old August 3rd 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 08:12:32 -0400, "Peter R."
wrote:
Now that sounds a bit nerve-wracking (the entire approach in that weather).
Good story.

On top of that, it was starting to get dark... Don't remember if it
was just from the reduced light getting through the clouds or from the
time of the day... I was getting kind of late though... I do remember
having to pick my way between very large towers of black clouds on my
descent... I was able to stay to the west of it until I got to Ripon,
at which time, I had to go through some of it... End result was no
bent metal, so it was a good day...
Old August 8th 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:53:24 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:
I am appalled to find that flying to and from the nation's largest
aviation event kills a number of airman each year. I'd like to know
what the EAA is doing to mitigate the carnage that results from their
AirVenture event.

Threaten to revoke your EAA membership if you crash and kill yourself?
Old August 8th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 06:45:26 GMT, Grumman-581
wrote in
:

wrote:
I am appalled to find that flying to and from the nation's largest
aviation event kills a number of airman each year. I'd like to know
what the EAA is doing to mitigate the carnage that results from their
AirVenture event.

Threaten to revoke your EAA membership if you crash and kill yourself?

That heavy handed tactic won't work with me; I'm not an EAA member!
:-)
Old August 8th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:09:07 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:
That heavy handed tactic won't work with me; I'm not an EAA member!

So, if you crash and kill yourself, they'll just have to ban you from
coming there again... Or stick you in the furthermost reaches of the
North 40, which is nearly as bad...