How Aircraft Stay In The Air

Old March 21st 04, 02:46 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
Peter Twydell wrote:

(I think I'll have a couple of soft-boiled eggs with Marmite soldiers
for breakfast)

Is it *that* hard to get people to eat Marmite?
Old March 22nd 04, 07:43 AM
Moggycat

Nick Coleman wrote in message ...
Sarah Hotdesking wrote:

A very soft boiled egg with a dab of 'mite-style supermarket own brand
yeast
extract in the yolk - nectar! Alternatively the toasted dipping
sticks of
toast require a generous layer of 'mite (caution: do not eat this
straight before a blood pressure check-up unless you want a lecture
from the medic)

Yummmmm, 'mite soldiers dipped in egg yolk drool. My grandmother knew
what she was about, I tell you. (It was her that taught me how to boil
an egg when I was 10...)

'mite and honey (must be set honey) sandwiches is another combination
which actually works. I think this combination came about during an
attack of the munchies. 'mite and hard boiled egg sarnies. Sadly none
of this is acceptable to Thrust Pixies. I have it on good authority
that they don't like 'mite-type spreads.
Old March 22nd 04, 07:19 PM
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

In article ,
Sarah Hotdesking wrote:
"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
*which* edge to butter...

And what butter to use ....

Shir Ga^r or Llangadog are the only acceptable varieties, unless
you've got access to Rachel's.

--
Andy Breen ~ Interplanetary Scintillation Research Group
http://users.aber.ac.uk/azb/
Old March 22nd 04, 11:22 PM
Peter Twydell

In article , Damian Kneale
writes
Once Peter Twydell inscribed in stone:

In article , Nick Coleman spambucketPokeMyEy
writes
Peter Twydell wrote:

It's a yeast extract. The UK variant is Marmite, and is a delicious
accompaniment to buttered toast (see how we stay very nearly on
topic?) and is marvellous spread thinly on good strong Cheddar cheese
(I kid you not). Vegemite, OTOH, is a vile Antipodean *******
offspring that resembles the stuff you have to scrape off your shoe.

Oi, Jimmy! Marmite is an antipodean (to me) strange concoction of
evil-tasting slightly sweet muck. Vegemite is the true nectar of the
gods. Try it with tiger stripes: alternate strips of thick butter and
vegemite on the toast.

As well as with cheese, lightly spread it on toast (on-topic again) with
a poached egg on top. Yummy.

Absolute cobblers!

Marmite must be the best 'cos Our Boys won the World Cup and yours
didn't. So there. :-)))))

It was about time we gave up one of those world cups we've been
collecting. Don't worry, it'll be back soon enough!

Ah, the famous Australian Tea Party scenario - no cups.

(I think I'll have a couple of soft-boiled eggs with Marmite soldiers
for breakfast)

Actually come to think of it, I'm betting it was the threat of Marmite
in the case of failure that finally spurred the English on the their
final glorious efforts. :-)

Damian.

Now you're just being silly.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old March 22nd 04, 11:23 PM
Peter Twydell

In article , Gord Beaman
?@?.? writes
Peter Twydell wrote:

In article , Alan Minyard
writes
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:10:24 GMT, "Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

"Prof. Vincent Brannigan" wrote:

running with scissors wrote:

Vegemite not only looks and tastes like axle grease, it has the
viscosity of axle grease. Hmmmm...?

http://www.vegemite.com.au/

Phil

you'll be slating Marmite next!

"slating" is one of my favorite words because it has almost opposite

meanings
in the USA and UK

EG if a person is "slated for a performance" it has very different meanings

USA slate

Date: 15th century
1 : to cover with slate or a slatelike substance slate

roof
2 : to designate for a specified purpose or action :
SCHEDULE was slated to direct the play

Uk slate

Date: 1825
1 : to thrash or pummel severely
2 chiefly British : to criticize or censure severely

personally I think marmite and be used as plaster to repair slate

Vince

Similar to the very different meanings in the UK and North
America of the word 'root' as in "All the girls in the stands
were rooting for their team".

Quite legal and admirable in NA, not quite so in the UK...

Or even worse, the US vs UK slang usage of "pecker" (as in the UK -
Keep a stiff pecker"

Never heard that - it was usually "keep your pecker up". The Shorter
Oxford Dictionary records "pecker" as being mid-19th century usage for
Courage or resolution. The US usage is 20th century.

"Fanny" has different meanings in the US and the UK. They are close,
anatomically speaking, but very different...

Al Minyard

Isn't pecker in UK lips/kisser?
--

-Gord.

Not AFAIK. A kiss can be a peck, though, as in "a peck on the cheek".
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!