Why The Hell... (random rant)

Old April 5th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Why The Hell... (random rant)

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

You are talking about a gyro compass.

No, I'm not.

Yes, you are.

A gyro compass is huge, expensive and heavy.

But there is none inside an inertial reference platform. An IRS uses laser
gyros.

They are still big, heavy, and expensive.

They can take hours to settle on a usable reading.

An IRS can find true north in a few minutes, depending on latitude.

An INS system can NOT find true north and requries an external input
to tell it where north is.

You are clueless.

An INS system has to be initialized with it's current position and just
tells you where you have moved relative to the starting position.

But it also finds true north on its own, without any need for external data.
It simply detects the rotation of the Earth, and that gives it an east-west
reference, to which true north is perpendicular.

No, INS can not find true north, only a gyro compass can find true
north.

A gyrocompass doesn't work at airplane speeds.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Google for it. You'll be surprised.

Lets sum up reality versus your babbling ignorance:

Only a gyrocompass can find true north.

A gyrocompass won't work at all at airplane speeds and is problematic
at fast, modern ship speeds.

Because a gyrocompass uses the precession caused by the Earth's rotation
to find north and the Earth rotates so slowly, it can take several
hours for a gyrocompass to settle when first turned on.

An INS is a collection of gyros and accelerometers that sense movement.

An INS does not contain a gyrocompass.

An INS requires an external input to tell it where north is.

An INS has to be initialized to tell it it's current position.

Once an INS is initialized, it can tell you how far you have moved.

An INS has to be periodically updated with it's true position because
the gyros, including laser gyros, drift.

No GA aircraft and few transport aircraft have INS installed.

For how gyrocompasses work:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrocompass

http://www.navis.gr/navaids/gyro.htm

http://tpub.com/content/administrati...s/14221_74.htm

For how INS works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_guidance_system

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 5th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
Jose writes:

"It must be true - I found it on the internet"

I think you'll find that the more you research about the geomagnetic field,
the less reliable you find it to be for navigation.

I think you'll find that if you ever get an education, the less likely
you will be to babble nonsense like that.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 5th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Tauno Voipio

Kev wrote:
On Apr 4, 2:32 am, Tauno Voipio wrote:

EridanMan wrote:

Why in gods name are VOR's Mag heading based?

It's a nuisance for maintenance, but it frees
the pilot from calculating the variation at
the operative time. Just to off-load the pilot.

A good answer. Same for winds in flight, etc. Everything is based on
the magnetic to make it easier for the pilot. At least, the pilot of
old. If we had 100% reliable aids in the plane, then I suppose you
could argue for just following the red line on the electronic map, and
never even know what course you're taking ;-)

I know, ideally, that means that you can sync your DG and your VOR
indicator to fly to a waypoint... except that most VOR's around here
have long since fallen behind Magnetic drift... so - now, not only do
you have to flightplan in True Heading, convert to Mag Heading to get
your vectors, THEN you have to get the corrective factor for each of
the VOR's your using for navigation and note that as well? huh?

If they are off the mag variation, it is
mis-maintenance, and the VOR should be
marked defective or taken off-line.

VORs are allowed to get +/- 6 degrees off. Seems a lot, but it's
only a handful of miles off-course over most VORs' ranges. Anyway,
see:

http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/faq#q2h

Kev

This seems too much to match the ICAO specified system accuracy
of +/- 5.2 degrees. The system accuracy includes transmitter
and receiver errors and the operative margin.

The VORs here are adjusted for an error of less than 1 degree
at the station, and a flight test is not passed if the error
exceeds 3 degrees (except on special terrain cases, which have
to be announced by NOTAMs).

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi
Old April 5th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Ron Natalie writes:

This is makes you look pathetically
stupid and is the main reason that most people on this forum
are hostile to you.

I think that's a bit backwards. People who are stupid are likely to be
hostile.

Odd..you are clearly the poster child for stupidity, but you don't see
hostile.

Old April 5th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Jose writes:

"It must be true - I found it on the internet"

I think you'll find that the more you research about the geomagnetic
field,
the less reliable you find it to be for navigation.

That's OK, you can relax anyway. No matter how many hours you sim, you will
still find your desk in your bedroom.

Old April 5th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
RomeoMike

wrote:

Astro navigation, but it's still an angle away from a standard
vector. So different sciences are using the same word with different
meanings.

However, you're of course correct that for magnetic navigation,
declination and variation are the same thing.

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/geomag/faqgeom.shtml

Kev

Thanks to you, farr1220, and Peter. I always wondered in the back of my
mind how the term declination came to mean variation. Now I'm ready to
navigate the outer space :-)

RANT! wise purchaser Owning 2 March 27th 07 10:04 PM
Random thoughts 2 Bill Daniels Soaring 6 September 1st 06 05:37 AM
A Jeppesen rant Peter R. Piloting 4 January 17th 05 03:54 AM
Why didn't GWB [insert rant] Jack Military Aviation 1 July 15th 04 11:30 PM
Random Hold Generator... Tina Marie Instrument Flight Rules 0 November 5th 03 04:21 PM