OT - Plasma TV question

Old February 27th 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default OT - Plasma TV question

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Okay, Moo, I give up. What are you DOING with so many giganto-humongous
TVs???

www.libertygrand.com

400 events last year. Almost all of them use video in some way.

Wow -- that looks like a palace! What was it originally built as/for?

It was a government pavillion built in 1929 on the Canadian National
Exhibition grounds. When we got it it was an empty concrete shell.
What an awesome venue!

Buy a low time (1200 hour) used industrial projector (like I said, the
Sonys are excellent) for about 1200.00 and paint the wall a light shade
of gray. For your application, you'll be good for at least a few years.
Likely longer. Or at least until your competition buys one of those
Barco units for a hundred grand...

I think you recommended a model, earlier in the thread -- but can you
repeat it/them for me?

Sony VPL-PX31 with the standard lens. Not the "101" lens. Look for them on
eBay. Someone must have pulled a few dozen from boardroom installations.

Old February 27th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Yep... ignorant, gullible people... the same people who buy Bose
products.

Yep. And the way they target old, naive people is disgusting.

Old February 27th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dan Luke wrote:
"jwilljr" wrote:

Do you know somebody who will only put a certain brand of oil in
their car? Or drive 10 miles out of their way to buy a certain brand
of gas? All because they think they are getting better quality?
Those people buy Monster Cable.

Yep... ignorant, gullible people... the same people who buy Bose
products.

********.

Here i some reading for you:

http://tinyurl.com/ktchz

http://tinyurl.com/z2cbl

http://tinyurl.com/mntou

http://tinyurl.com/rcwvq

http://tinyurl.com/ohq9k

http://tinyurl.com/rn6jl

http://tinyurl.com/ohn7p

The only thing Bose is good for is the WAF.

Jerry
Old February 27th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"jwilljr" wrote in message
. ..
Dan Luke wrote:
"jwilljr" wrote:

Do you know somebody who will only put a certain brand of oil in
their car? Or drive 10 miles out of their way to buy a certain
brand of gas? All because they think they are getting better
quality? Those people buy Monster Cable.

Yep... ignorant, gullible people... the same people who buy Bose
products.

********.

Here i some reading for you:

I've used ANR aviation headsets for seven years. In that time I've
bought top-of-the-line Telex and Lightspeed sets. They are good, but
each has its drawbacks. Finally, after a demo at OSH, I bought a Bose
X. It is so superior in every respect to the others that I never want
to use anything else.

But that's just ol' ignorant, gullible me.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old February 27th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
.. .
At least 1080 vertical pixels.

I am using a laptop that has 1200 vertical pixels. The monitor on my
desktop PC has an LCD monitor that also has 1200 vertical pixels. They are
both 4:3, so they only have 1600 pixels horizontally.

However, there are now several wide-screen LCD monitors that have 1080
vertical pixels (1920x1080), and even more if you are willing to pay (the
Dell 3007WFP 30" monitor, for example, has a native resolution of
2560x1600). As an example, Westinghouse has both a 37" and a 42" LCD
display at 1920x1080.

If you're looking for an integrated tuner, Sharp has a couple of models at
45", with 1920x1080. But here, rather than me going on and on, check this
out:

http://www.google.com/search?q=lcd+tv+1920x1080

Pete

Old February 27th 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Happy Dog" wrote in message
.. .
[...] Most projector lamps get 1000 - 2000 hours of useful life now.

Hmmm...didn't realize lamp life had gotten that long. Used to be, by the
time the bulb dimmed enough to be an issue, you were going to have to
replace it anyway.

Still, the point is: for all displays except plasma, fixing a dim display is
easy.

Pete

Old February 27th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter Duniho wrote:

What home video stuff does 1080i? Last I looked, consumer-grade HD
cameras were only starting to appear, and they only did 720. As an
added problem, the HD data stream from the camera I played with (a
JVC) didn't follow any standard, and there weren't drivers available
for capturing the video onto the PC.

Your information is a bit out of date.

Sony has a couple models (although only one would be considered "consumer"
and even then more "pro-sumer"): HDR-HC1 and HDR-FX1. The HC1 can be found
for about $1500 or so while the FX1 goes for more than twice that. Both
units do 1080i and output on standard FireWire connections.

There are other HD camcorders, but the pickings are still slim.

As for high-def DVDs, I'm wondering if it's even worth waiting for. For the
price of a player for either HD-DVD or BluRay format, you can buy a quality
HTPC (Home Theater PC) that can play HD content from the hard drive,
satellite, OTA (over the air), or files stored on CD/DVD. It also comes
with a disc drive that can be upgraded to whatever format eventually wins
(or the format of your choice if they both survive).

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/TknoFlyer

Old February 27th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"John T" wrote in message
m...
Your information is a bit out of date.

Maybe. It's been two years since I bought a video camera, and probably
about a year since I've done any serious shopping for one. However, you
haven't written anything to suggest to me that my information is all that
out of date.

Sony has a couple models (although only one would be considered "consumer"
and even then more "pro-sumer"): HDR-HC1 and HDR-FX1. The HC1 can be
found for about $1500 or so while the FX1 goes for more than twice that.
Both units do 1080i and output on standard FireWire connections.

Jose wrote "home video". Even $1500 is just barely "home video" for most
people, and of course twice that isn't at all.

There are other HD camcorders, but the pickings are still slim.

In addition, to me saying "home video" implies that the entire market has
shifted that way. One 1080i camera just barely breaking into the consumer
price range hardly constitutes a market shift.

Perhaps I misunderstood Jose's intent. But it doesn't seem to me that the
home video market has generally gotten to any high-definition, never mind
1080i. When I look at the cameras available in the store for the purpose of
home video, they are all still standard-def, generally either MiniDV or
DVD-R. This includes the "newest stuff".

Yes, high-def is available, but as near as I can tell most people are still
recording their home video in the same standard-def format they've been
doing for years (albeit with slightly better quality, due to the advent of
digital formats).

Pete

Old February 27th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dan Luke wrote:
"jwilljr" wrote:

Do you know somebody who will only put a certain brand of oil in
their car? Or drive 10 miles out of their way to buy a certain brand
of gas? All because they think they are getting better quality?
Those people buy Monster Cable.

Yep... ignorant, gullible people... the same people who buy Bose
products.

********.

Yes, I agree. There are many areas where you do get what you pay for
and Bose equipment is one of them. Even Monster cables are really good
cables, they just aren't needed in many cases.

Matt
Old February 27th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

jwilljr wrote:

Dan Luke wrote:

"jwilljr" wrote:

Do you know somebody who will only put a certain brand of oil in
their car? Or drive 10 miles out of their way to buy a certain
brand of gas? All because they think they are getting better
quality? Those people buy Monster Cable.

Yep... ignorant, gullible people... the same people who buy Bose
products.

********.

Here i some reading for you:

http://tinyurl.com/ktchz

http://tinyurl.com/z2cbl

http://tinyurl.com/mntou

http://tinyurl.com/rcwvq

http://tinyurl.com/ohq9k

http://tinyurl.com/rn6jl

http://tinyurl.com/ohn7p

The only thing Bose is good for is the WAF.

Jerry

Yep, I'd definitely consider a discussion group as the ultimate source
of knowledge.

Matt

Lyc. O-360 cylinder question JB Owning 13 November 27th 04 09:32 PM
A question on Airworthiness Inspection Dave S Home Built 1 August 10th 04 05:07 AM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM
Winching: Steel vs. Plasma Bob Johnson Soaring 10 August 12th 03 05:41 PM